“Good service, tasty steak”

The Seven Stars Hotel
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We visited here tonight with our friends having taken advantage of a Dealmonster offer. We shared starters of nachos and freshly cooked garlic bread. Service was quite slow but we didn't mind. We all chose mains from the Black Rock menu, the fish platter came with 3 generous cuts of different fish. The gammon wasn't the usual 'horseshoe' shaped steak but a thick slab which was quite worrying at first as you have to cook it yourself on the hot rock but after slicing into cubes it cooked perfectly well. I had fillet steak which as I enjoy it rare, I was able to make sure it didn't over cook. The appeal of the volcanic rock is that it's healthier as the meat's cooked without oil. However, when fish is left in contact for too long it just sticks and burns. This could be improved if the plates came with a space to rest your food once it's cooked to your liking. I managed to juggle my steak around my roasted vegetables and chips but it made things a bit tricky, especially after a glass or two of wine!
We didn't have desserts as we were very full but having a sweet tooth, there were a few tempting titles on the blackboards which I'd fancy trying on another visit.
The waitress was friendly and resolved our issue with the bill without any trouble.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Slap_n_Tickle37

Reviewed 22 October 2012

Went on a Deal monster coupon for the Black Rock Menu and I agree it was like an episode off Faulty Towers for us as well. Our order was taken and then 30 minutes later we were informed that they had run out of Diane Sauce (obviously a packet sauce then). 15 minutes after that the waitress apologised becuase the chef had not noticed we had ordered Nacho's to share. 5 minutes after that she came back to inform us they had run out of Nacho's. I wanted to leave at this pint but we stayed as they offered us another starter for free. The main course was basically a cook it yourself steak or in my case salmon on a gridle - loads of smoke but no flavour! i order salmon with chilli and lime which consisted of some chooped chilli on the salmon and a slice of lime on top of the foil it came in - very disappointing. Will not be going again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank andrea s
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Went with friends for a midweek lunch. The whole event was like the Gourmet Night at Fawlty Towers. The food took ages to arrive. The soup for the ones who had starters was luke warm and flavourless, One person could not eat the soup. When the main courses evenually arrived, one persons order was missed,the food was of poor quality. I could understand if the place was busy but it was quiet. I then spoke to a couple dining at the next table who were upset whith the length of time they had to wait and then found the meals unedible. I can only assume the chef was on a day off and someone was pulled in off street to cook. I felt sorry for the waitress who did her best. Another point is that the food is not cheap and the whole event was a let down. Will not go near the place again. Sad really

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Archiebald53
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Called in for an early evening meal for two. The menu suggests a good range of food options but I had a Balti Curry (I know .....never have a curry in a non-asian establishment....but I tried it) and it was overly spiced, lacking flavour and quite poor. My partner had an ale & beef pie that was mostly full of root veg and not meat. Over priced and long waits for service explains why the pub was empty. I guess they will go the way of many other local pubs soon. Very sad.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank smithowlsmanchester
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We stayed for two days at the Seven Stars Hotel and found this a really enjoyable experience. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. We had the full English breakfast which, included Ricks delicious home made bread and jam. The breakfast was large and one of the the best we have ever had. Saturday was entertainment night with a Halloween party which we can say we really enjoyed in a very relaxed atmosphere. There is a bus stop right outside the Hotel with a regular bus service to Poulton and Blackpool. The Hotel has a well stocked bar and serves real ale and fine food. We would be very happy to return here.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheilagdurham
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed here on 30th October, 2011 and had a really enjoyable stay. Had wanted three nights, but fully booked, so settled for the one. The room was really comfortable and had lots of extras which added to the comfort. Really appreciated the fact that as a sole traveller in a twin room, I was not charged double. The value was excellent- only £25 per person and that included a really delicious breakfast. I can honestly say tat it was one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. As a very frequent traveller, this is a high compliment.There is free Wifi and I can highly recommend the pub food. My friend who joined me in the evening for a meal and I were both very impressed with the qualty of the food. There was a good choice of beers and wines- all very competitive. The friendliness and service from the staff was second to none.
The Seven Stars advertises live music on a Saturday, but as the owners live with their children on the premises, I would expect that their policy of no noise after closing would be adhered to.
At breakfast, the owner informed me that he had spent over £200.000 on upgrading this over 250 year old and it certainly has a mix of tradition with modern updates. An excellent job has been done.
As well as being close enough to Blackpool- about a 30 min drive or on a regularbus route. It is near to Knott End and a lovely coastal beach walk, a bird watchers paradise. Twenty minutes drive the opposite direction takes you to Lancaster.
I cannot praise the Seven Stars too highly.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JAFFA_56
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I have just returned from my second stay with Rick and Catherine at the Seven Stars and again I have found them welcoming and hospitable. I stayed between the 7th and 10th Oct for B&B at a very reasonable rate (Rm 4). I found the rooms to be very comfortable and of a reasonable size, en suite, with remote colour TV and tea/coffee facilities. The bed was very comfortable and clean with good quality sheets and pillows. Extra cushions were also provided. Rick cooked the breakfast himself and is an excellent cook. Full English was provided in the price and the portions were as large as you wanted and served in the cosy restaurant with a homely real fire in the hearth. The home-made strawberry jam was excellent. Complimentary daily newspapers were on offer if required. I stayed with my cousin and family from Australia and had access to other rooms (Rms 3 & 6) and saw them to be equal to mine in all respects. I recommend this B&B for anyone who wishes to visit the Blackpool area avoiding the obvious pitfalls of staying in the town. (I am a qualified assessor in the Hospitality trade, having spent 30 years working in pub and NVQ businesses.) I did not have an evening meal on this occasion but have in the past and Rick makes his own excellent recipes. The food and service is very good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
#24 of 73 in Blackpool
New Hacketts Hotel
New Hacketts Hotel
#64 of 73 in Blackpool

Been to The Seven Stars Hotel? Share your experiences!