“Needs redecorating”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here many times, sadly this stay has been disappointing. The location is superb and staff friendly until tonight. I was looking forward to curry which was a small portion with a few potato cubes and when I asked gently if I could have a portion of rice was quickly sent back to my table and told that there was no rice in the kitchen! I don't know anyone with no rice in the kitchen! Sadly our bathroom ceiling is now flaking and needs painting. I find this very sad as this was once our favourite hotel and we saved every year to come here. Can't they save for a tin of paint and a clean greaseless headboard for the bed? Come on Lugger!

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank Mezzodiva67
Richard H, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay.

We are saddened to read that on this occasion we fell short of our high standards of service.

I think there has been a breakdown in communication with regards to ordering rice with your dinner and I am sorry if this was not passed on correctly.

I do apologise for the standard of décor in your room on this visit. I am delighted to write that we have now started our refurbishment programme for The Lugger and over the coming months we are re-decorating throughout the public areas, corridors and bedrooms. I have made your room our priority and am pleased to say it has now had a new headboard added and is in the process of being painted throughout.

It is our wish that you consider visiting The Lugger again in the future and if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel, I will ensure you have a most enjoyable stay in the newly refurbished Lugger and receive the service for which the hotel is renowned.

Thank you again for posting.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights on business and would certainly stay again either on business on for a weekend break with my wife.

Finding it can be a challenge if you don't have sat nav or are not used to Cornish lanes ( and I wouldn't want to try it in the dark for the first time ) but you suddenly find yourself coming into the village and the hotel is right on tend tiny harbour. It has a good sized car park , but if you are late it can be tricky to park.

Staff were very friendly and my room nicely fitted out with lots of extras such as fruit , hot chocolate and marshmallows to make it feel special. Good bathroom with nice fittings , bathrobes and toiletries -.

The restaurant looks out onto the sea and had excellent food albeit expensive and a little starchy for more than one night. The village pub just up the road offers an excellent alternative and beer garden with babbling brook if the sea view , conservatory and other terraces are not enough.

As an added bonus for some , there is no mobile phone signal anywhere in the village but good wi fi in public areas ( extending to my room in the next building ) and a short walk up the nearby coastal path will get you a signal if you really are desperate to make a call - or just enjoy the view

Room Tip: They are all different and prices vary - so ask
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your lovely comments, we are so pleased you enjoyed your business trip and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back for a leisurely break in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had some work down in the South West and asked a colleague where to stay. "The Lugger" he said, so I booked. Didn't really know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised at the location, the parking, the reception staff and, in the morning, the choice and quality of breakfast. As I was only there for one night I didn't get to sample the evening meal as I went up the road to the local pub, the Ship Inn. As a lone traveller looking for some peace, this was as tranquil as it gets. Clifftop walks either side of the hotel if required. The room and public areas were very clean though I had a wall view from my window so I think that anything more than one night it would get claustrophobic. That's the only negative and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a bigger room, or at least one with a view of something.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for posting your review it's lovely to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Hopefully next time you will be able to stay a little longer and enjoy the restaurant in the evening and get a chance to explore the surrounding area.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We have stayed at the Lugger twice, following reviews in a Sunday newspaper travel supplement several years ago, and it is a beautiful spot with characterful accommodation but it can sometimes disappoint with slack service and less than perfect food. Breakfast on one occasion was slow and cold, when served, and attitudes seemed to have changed with their good publicity and success. Several times we have tried to book out of season but despite having availability their reluctance to book one nights have frustrated us, and made us reluctant to return.

Room Tip: Upgrade to enjoy more space, the basic room can be claustrophobic.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your comments following your stay.

I am sorry you had a disappointment during one of the breakfasts and thank you for letting us know so we can improve in the future.

We do restrict our stays to two nights on a Friday and Saturday, as do most hotels, however one night stays are available for all other nights.

The majority of special offers we promote are a minimum of two nights so more can be added into the package for our guests giving better them a better discount.

If I can assist with your booking next time you are visiting the area, please contact me directly at the hotel and I will gladly help.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We found this hotel via The Times reviews; great choice! We wanted to experience some different types of hotel than we normally choose, so I thought this looked perfect. When I rang to book, they couldn't accommodate us in the better rooms in the hotel, but suggested a small cottage that was situated a very short distance from the main hotel (Cliff Cottage, room 401).
Not too sure what to expect when we arrived, on stepping into the cottage we were instantly charmed! This is a very quaint, but charming cottage; one up, one down, ideal as a romantic getaway! It sits on the side of the tiny harbour, amongst other small cottages. It has a tiny seating area outside the front door, where we sat and had our afternoon cuppa.
The main hotel is also charming. The staff very pleasant and helpful. The evening meals are of a good standard, nicely presented - a fine dining experience. The breakfast was very good, great service and very well cooked. The only food available at lunch time are sandwiches, which were ok, but I think most people go out for the day, so it isn't really a problem.
We will definatley return to this cottage!
If I have to be 'picky', I'd say the kitchen missed some little necessities; tea towels/hand towel, a little washing up liquid (there is a dishwasher, but no tablets) but we managed ok, and the evening staff cleaned up.
My biggest 'winge' (which isn't their fault!) is that at dawn, the local fishermen set out from the harbour in their fishing boat (loud motor!) and shout to each other!! So don't expect an uninterrupted lie in!!

Room Tip: Room 401 - the cottage is delightful!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for posting your review, Middle Cottage is indeed a little gem and we're so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We don't stock the kitchen with utensils and cleaning products as our Housekeeping Team will take care of that and also the cottage is sold on a package basis, as an extension of the hotel, so meals are taken in the restaurant, however should any future guests require items, let us know.

We are currently in the process of renovating another cottage and for future guests wishing to experience the delights of Portloe, self catering, Hideaway will be available from August 2014.

Watching the fishing boats go out in the morning is generally a "must watch" for guests during their stay, so apologies on their behalf if the fishermen disturbed your lie in.

Thanks again for posting, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Lovely stay with my daughter who was down to visit Falmouth Uni. Stayed in room 104, upstairs in the Boathouse- quiet and clean. Lovely touches a real gerbera in the bathroom bathrobes, biscuits and ginger bread and fruit and bed turndown in the evening together with hot choc and marshmallow, an evening funny and the next days weather forecast. Staff lovely and given a bottle of water and sweets for journey home.
Fabulous relaxing stay- lovely walk to Carne- only 4 miles but feels much more as very hilly-allow longer than you think!

Room Tip: There are two routes in to Portloe- don't drive through Veryan unless you are very confident in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HelenStaffs

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are delighted you and your daughter enjoyed your stay, it was lovely to meet you both.

The cliff walks, whilst the views are stunning, can be quite challenging, but rewarding when you get to the end!

Thanks for posting and hopefully we'll see you again soon?

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This is an excellent hotel with nice food and accommodation, the rooms aren't huge but are meant to be like a typical net loft room. The hotel is right on the cove next to the boat launch and it is very pretty. A lovely getaway hotel and the Ship Inn is 100 yards up the road with friendly bar staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DibDibbler

The Lugger and Portloe are truly a romantic spot! Thank you for posting your review and see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
The Idle Rocks
#2 of 24 in Falmouth
The Fowey Hotel
The Fowey Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!