“Much going for the hotel but sadly not the bed”
Review of The Lugger Hotel

The Lugger Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portloe
lincs UK
“Much going for the hotel but sadly not the bed”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel had much going for it - quiet interesting place - away from it all - great staff. Breakfast was very good & freshly cooked. We enjoyed our evening meals - it suited us - but did wonder if a "big eater" would find dinner sufficient, although there were "goodies" left in the room at night.

Our room was on the 1st floor, as such it did not have any real view. Good size with two chairs, quiet. Shutters to an open window. Bathroom fine - shower over bath.The problem was my bed - it was basically as far as I was concerned past its sell by date. I like a firm bed & firm it was not, made worse by the fact that guests had sat on the edge & it had sustained further damage.

I would recommend that you make sure you have done your homework on where Portloe is - the lanes are tight & the sign posting generally poor made more difficult by the fact that Cornwall CC has not as yet trimmed the vegetation round the road signs!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Richard H, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Thank you for posting your review following your stay at The Lugger. I am sorry to read of your disappointment in regards to the bed in your room. We have now started our refurbishment of the Hotel and I have made it a priority to have the bed in the room changed. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and do hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future. Thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

The Lugger is a wonderful hotel with a willing and friendly staff team. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special. We were shown to our room to find real milk in the fridge for tea and coffee, complimentary water, a basket of fresh apples and a jar of sweeties. There was also a greetings card welcoming us to the hotel. When we returned from dinner that evening there was luxury hot chocolate and marshmallows waiting and the apples and milk had been topped up. The hotel is spread over several buildings and umbrellas were liberally scattered in case of inclement weather. When we checked out we were given a little bag with water and sweeties for the journey. We had room 301, a deluxe room with its own terrace. It was spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean. The bar area was cosy with comfortable sofas and chairs and a range of books magazines and board games on offer. The restaurant serves amazing food all made fresh to order and using local produce where possible. We had a wonderful stay and cannot wait to return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to post your lovely comments. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and the all the little extras. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Congratulations to the general manager, Richard Hartley for creating a 5 star wonder in this idyllic backwater. On arrival we were greeted with warmth and charm. Our room in the Boathouse was a little on the small side but tastefully furnished providing everything we needed. Bathroom freebies were nice to use, no cheap tack in this place. We had dinner here and my only observation would be the portions are a little on the mean side, we did point this out at the time but there was no response. However the cooking was superb and to a very high standard, presented elegantly on the plate. We slept soundly to the sound of the waves by our window. We can't wait to return to this fabulous hotel.

Room Tip: Try and ask for the table by window overlooking the jetty and fishing boats, its the inly one with t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your great review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here many times, sadly this stay has been disappointing. The location is superb and staff friendly until tonight. I was looking forward to curry which was a small portion with a few potato cubes and when I asked gently if I could have a portion of rice was quickly sent back to my table and told that there was no rice in the kitchen! I don't know anyone with no rice in the kitchen! Sadly our bathroom ceiling is now flaking and needs painting. I find this very sad as this was once our favourite hotel and we saved every year to come here. Can't they save for a tin of paint and a clean greaseless headboard for the bed? Come on Lugger!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Mezzodiva67
Richard H, General Manager at The Lugger Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay.

We are saddened to read that on this occasion we fell short of our high standards of service.

I think there has been a breakdown in communication with regards to ordering rice with your dinner and I am sorry if this was not passed on correctly.

I do apologise for the standard of décor in your room on this visit. I am delighted to write that we have now started our refurbishment programme for The Lugger and over the coming months we are re-decorating throughout the public areas, corridors and bedrooms. I have made your room our priority and am pleased to say it has now had a new headboard added and is in the process of being painted throughout.

It is our wish that you consider visiting The Lugger again in the future and if you would like to contact me directly at the hotel, I will ensure you have a most enjoyable stay in the newly refurbished Lugger and receive the service for which the hotel is renowned.

Thank you again for posting.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights on business and would certainly stay again either on business on for a weekend break with my wife.

Finding it can be a challenge if you don't have sat nav or are not used to Cornish lanes ( and I wouldn't want to try it in the dark for the first time ) but you suddenly find yourself coming into the village and the hotel is right on tend tiny harbour. It has a good sized car park , but if you are late it can be tricky to park.

Staff were very friendly and my room nicely fitted out with lots of extras such as fruit , hot chocolate and marshmallows to make it feel special. Good bathroom with nice fittings , bathrobes and toiletries -.

The restaurant looks out onto the sea and had excellent food albeit expensive and a little starchy for more than one night. The village pub just up the road offers an excellent alternative and beer garden with babbling brook if the sea view , conservatory and other terraces are not enough.

As an added bonus for some , there is no mobile phone signal anywhere in the village but good wi fi in public areas ( extending to my room in the next building ) and a short walk up the nearby coastal path will get you a signal if you really are desperate to make a call - or just enjoy the view

Room Tip: They are all different and prices vary - so ask
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your lovely comments, we are so pleased you enjoyed your business trip and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back for a leisurely break in the not too distant future.
Timbuktu, Mali
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I had some work down in the South West and asked a colleague where to stay. "The Lugger" he said, so I booked. Didn't really know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised at the location, the parking, the reception staff and, in the morning, the choice and quality of breakfast. As I was only there for one night I didn't get to sample the evening meal as I went up the road to the local pub, the Ship Inn. As a lone traveller looking for some peace, this was as tranquil as it gets. Clifftop walks either side of the hotel if required. The room and public areas were very clean though I had a wall view from my window so I think that anything more than one night it would get claustrophobic. That's the only negative and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a bigger room, or at least one with a view of something.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for posting your review it's lovely to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Hopefully next time you will be able to stay a little longer and enjoy the restaurant in the evening and get a chance to explore the surrounding area.
Thanks again.
Devon
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We have stayed at the Lugger twice, following reviews in a Sunday newspaper travel supplement several years ago, and it is a beautiful spot with characterful accommodation but it can sometimes disappoint with slack service and less than perfect food. Breakfast on one occasion was slow and cold, when served, and attitudes seemed to have changed with their good publicity and success. Several times we have tried to book out of season but despite having availability their reluctance to book one nights have frustrated us, and made us reluctant to return.

Room Tip: Upgrade to enjoy more space, the basic room can be claustrophobic.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your comments following your stay.

I am sorry you had a disappointment during one of the breakfasts and thank you for letting us know so we can improve in the future.

We do restrict our stays to two nights on a Friday and Saturday, as do most hotels, however one night stays are available for all other nights.

The majority of special offers we promote are a minimum of two nights so more can be added into the package for our guests giving better them a better discount.

If I can assist with your booking next time you are visiting the area, please contact me directly at the hotel and I will gladly help.

Thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portloe
Driftwood Hotel
#3 of 3 in Fowey
The Rosevine
The Rosevine
#2 of 2 in Rosevine

Been to The Lugger Hotel? Share your experiences!