“Fantastic”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Having been recommended here by a group of friends, i brought my family along seeing as they hadn't been here either. My first thought was what a lovely place situated within a shopping complex with a lot of lovely shops, and the amazing car parking facility didn't have a problem finding anywhere to park. We reached the Bull Pen and it was very busy where we was greeted by a lovely lady who informed us of a waiting list where she put our name and number down and was told we would receive a call when our table was ready. We received the call within ten minutes didn't have to wait long at all, we arrived and was shown to our table where we was informed of the specials. I ordered the English Breakfast and a English Breakfast tea and was definitely not disappointed. We had to wait a little bit longer than usual as it was so busy but we were not fussed.
All the staff are very polite, friendly and attentive and made us all feel very welcome nothing was too much trouble.
We will certainly be coming back.

2  Thank Kristen D
There are newer reviews for The Bull Pen

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have been going to The Bull Pen for many years since I was a child and have always loved it. The food is fabulous, especially the delicious cakes. Sometimes a bit slow but that's because it is so popular.

2  Thank Delia L
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was our second visit and while expensive we thought we'd have a quick snack.

We ordered, I asked if I could have brie on my toasted bacon. The waitress came back and said £2 extra, so I thought ok, I could buy a whole piece for that. Its what I want so I'll go for it.

So the food came, and the brie had just been cut and placed in the sandwich, th ebacon not hot enough to do anythign either. So I took it back explaing that the cheese would normally have been melted. I was told it was the waitress that took the order's fault. A while later a sanwich appeared with the bacon looking overdone and burnt cheese astuck to the edges. It looked terrible, Iooked over at my mother to see she'd nearly finished and said I wasn't happy. I was offered something else, it was a quick stop and my mother had finished.

So we asked for the bill and I asked if they would drop the charge for my coffe seeing as lunch was spoilt. This resulted in being told the supervisor would come. Another wait, she refused to give me the coffee on the house her reasoning being they'd offered to change the second sandwich, which she assured me was completely new. The bacon I can assure you was not.

So I asked for my change and I asked for details of who to complain to. The girl on the till couldnt seem to fathomnm the change and was hanging on to the money. I'll get the manager she said, I explained again this was a quick stop, we had already been held up and I now also wanted to get on so i could eat. She kept going on about a manager. To which I had to explain again that I wanted my change and would talk to someone at a later date. If she wanted to be difficult I could construe the lack of handing money back to me as stealing. What with the prices being daylight robbery too. With the she started getting ansy that I couldnt talk to her like that. So I've been talked down to and had lunch spoilt and I'm the one that needs talking down to.

Also the previous reviewer is very much right in regard to the clientele. Most people think their bank balance makes them above everyone else.

I dont think the Bull Penn will get any more of my money.

As a tourist attraction it's great but otherwise swerve.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Bull Pen is getting worse. Instead of nice sugar lumps they have Gatwick airport style sachets. The tea which was was once a premier brand is now at sub PG Tips level. The butter served with toast is stingy and often frozen and the staff are generally dismissive and haughty.
In spite of this the Bull Pen continues to charge high prices but does not deliver.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We found the Bull Pen on the internet and found the setting to be fantastic. Set in a farm setting along with some great shops and a fantastic family butcher. The problems start when you enter the Bull Pen with the poor lack of service. We have given them 4 chances with various time of day and meals. But the staff are rude, lazy and completely ruin what should be a great place to eat. You have to ask to give your order, ask for the bill, ask for a drink and that's if they give you the time of day in the first place. The food can be good but can also be very average but both come at an expensive price. Overall the Bull Pen could and would be fantastic if only it was taken over and started a fresh.