“Unprofessional Staff, Tired Hotel”
Review of Red Lion Hotel

Red Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Radlett
Loughborough
“Unprofessional Staff, Tired Hotel”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Took half an hour to be checked in by a girl who appeared to know or care very little.
Non existent bar staff.
When checking out all of the drinks bought by the party of guests with whom we were staying were on my bill. When I pointed out that this was incorrect I was told that I should sort it out. They apparently had no responsibility for this error and clearly did not care.
Overall the performance and work ethic of the staff was very poor.
Generally I not receive value for money.
Will not be returning

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RodM812
Mark_and_Kayleigh, Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I have to say I am very disappointed to learn that you did not think your stay was good value. I do have a couple of points to make with regards to your comments.

1. Our bar was closed when you returned from your wedding - hence no bar staff - one imagines that you and your guests might not remember this too clearly as it had certainly been a long and 'tiring' day for you all.

2. We decided to serve your party in order to stop you all shouting - you and your party decided not to give individual room numbers for drinks with them all saying 'just put everything on one room and we'll sort it out in the morning' - which is exactly what happened!

3. Our receptionist would not have been privy to the goings on of the previous night and would only have a completed room account to issue, which in this case had the 'group round' on yours. I am sure you mean to say that it took half an hour to check out - I happened to be the person that checked you all in before 11am and recall it took only a few minutes. When every room has breakfast together then decides to check out together I'm afraid it can take time to check out and especially with the added pressure of removing or transferring items between rooms. I apologise if this inconvenienced you.

4.One of the ladies in your party had a small child with her and had not been partaking in the frivolities, may I suggest you clarify with her as she was good enough to apologise on everyone's behalf and explained to all of your party at check out the reason you had one big drinks bill.

kind regards,

Mark Crookshank

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sat 19th April 14 I stayed at the Red lion Radlett and was very disappointed. Overpirced bar, very cold hotel room, NO HOT WATER and cold breakfast. Receptionist was not aplogetic at all and quite defensive. My husband and I were given £5 each off for not being able to have a shower! I would not stay there, eat there or drink there again and would definately not recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: If there are two people dont get room number 7 and its tiny, cold and the whole hotel didnt have any...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn H
Mark_and_Kayleigh, Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Kathryn,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, clearly you were upset about certain aspects of your stay with us. Please let me sincerely apologise for the inconvenience of having no hot water on Sunday Morning, as you rightly state, the entire hotel suffered, including our live in staff members. The lack of hot water and heating was due to a boiler malfunction which we were unable to rectify immediately on the morning in question. As you can surely understand an incident such as this is not an easy or quick fix, especially on Easter Sunday. I would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss your breakfast - this was never mentioned during your stay and I would be happy to investigate - our breakfasts are always very popular and are freshly cooked to order so I apologise if this was not up to our usual standards.

I do hope you would consider staying with us again in the future and I am positive you would have an entirely different and positive experience.

Kind regards,

Mark Crookshank
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

A really good hotel offering good quality hospitality and excellent food . Just had a really nice and freshly cooked meal in restaurant , supported by attentive and friendly service. This hotel is a real gem for people tired if chain or over-priced London hotels . Just opposite the Thameslink station the location couldn't be better .

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We visited this pub for lunch today the 8th of Feb for Sunday lunch. The food is slightly better than average but it is close to we're we live so thought we would visit and take my mum as a treat. But it ended up being more like a nightmare we booked the restaurant in advance so they knew we were coming. But as soon as we were seated the waitress told us that 3 of the mains had already sold out along with a couple of the starters. It was 2 o'clock on a Sunday?!?! The food arrived it was cold but we were hungry so ate up. When the waitress came to take our order she informed us that they had run out of one the deserts as well. The menu is small anyway so this left only a few options. I have an allergy to fruit and there was only 2 things on the menu that came with no fruit, I ordered one but asked just in case even though it didn't say fruit on the menu. The waitress said I don't think it has fruit but let me check so we all ordered. A few minutes later she returned yes sorry it has fruit do you want the other option I said yes thank you and expected no more problems but five minutes later the waitress reappeared "we sold the last one at the bar" do you want anything else? I explained to her again I have a fruit allergy could she provide an alternative to what I ordered she said no! At this point we were fed up the waitress started to get rude she kept saying you can have the ice cream. But I explained that that's not an alternative out of a desert menu of five options two of them were sold out and the rest were unsuitable. She said I will get the manager. My mum said thank you maybe she could explain why a reastaurant could run out of so many dishes on a Sunday and not offer a substitute. The manager came over soon after, my mothers and husbands deserts arrived at the same time but they were unable to eat as the manager was leaning over the table being very intimidating she was rude and very offensive she said sorry but you could tell she didn't mean it she said we ran out that happens in restaurants she didn't attempt to appease us either she did not say can I offer you a tea or coffee and please let me speak to the chef. Not once did the manager or the waitress offer to ask the chef to make something the restaurant was virtually empty by this point 3:30 so the kitchen can't have been that busy. Their deserts were now cold and without finishing we asked for the bill paid and left.

Do not visit this place it is terrible. The mains average £14 for a very average roast and the deserts start at £5.95.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah C
Mark_and_Kayleigh, Manager at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear guest,

Please let me express my utter disappointment at reading your review. I am slightly confused by the majority of what you say. Firstly the only items we sold out of yesterday were our chicken roast (menu states subject to availabilty) and our chocolate mousse, both of which were incredibly popular with the 100+ persons we catered for at lunch.

It must be noted that your behaviour in our dining room was abhorrent and that your Mother reduced our team member to tears with her constant tirades and insults. As discussed yesterday at the table, we asked whether any of your party had specific dietary requirements on booking, as is our policy, and were told that there were none - you clearly were under the impression (as you stated yesterday) that an allergy to fruit was not a dietary requirement. Had we been made aware of the allergy with prior notice, we could of and would have prepared a dessert to suit.

Our seasonal menu consists of 8 starters and 17 main courses (including our Sunday roasts) and is 'small' due to the fact it uses seasonal produce which is all freshly prepared and cooked to order, unlike our competitors.

We take our business very seriously and constructive feedback is very much appreciated and used to improve our offer to our guests. We apologised profusely yesterday, several times, and attempted to resolve your complaint at the time, however this was clearly not enough as evidenced by your scathing and wholly unjustified review.

Mark Crookshank,
Manager
Israel
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Third stay at this small neighborhood hotel. It is above the local pub but very quiet. Breakfast is very good with choice of 4 different items plus cereal and pastry. Rooms can be small but are very comfortable and clean

Room Tip: Try to get one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed for one night on the last weekend of November. The Room was very clean, plenty of towels and nice toiletries. Comfy bed and pillows. Two things about the room let it down a bit, firstly there was not enough room to pull out the chair at the dressing table and secondly the gap between the door and the frame was so wide the landing light would have made it impossible to sleep, I had to block the bottom of the door with a towel and managed to use another towel and my dressing gown to drape of the side to block out the light. Having done that we slept very well considering we were at the front but were not disturbed by the traffic at all. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and the breakfast was superb with everything cooked to order which lakes a change from buffet style bain maries. Our son and his girlfriend live in radlett and they joined us for breakfast, the vegetarian option was spot on and I know they have been back since for breakfast. We did not eat in the restaurant having booked a nearby Italian however we would consider it at our next visit. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Holt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Just one night at the Red Lion whilst visiting family in Radlett. Perfect location in town, clean and comfortable hotel with friendly efficient staff. We ate dinner in the newly refurbished dining room, very good choice on the menu (definitely not just standard pub food) which we really enjoyed.
The bar areas were a good mix of busy and buzzy with a quieter area for sitting in front of a roaring log fire. Will stay again and recommend highly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radlett
Ibis London Elstree Borehamwood
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
Hilton Watford
Hilton Watford
#7 of 13 in Watford
Premier Inn Watford North Hotel
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans
Jurys Inn London Watford

Been to Red Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!