“What can I say! We were all very happy with everything.”

Rustic Pub Co. Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Codicote
Rustic Pub Co. Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Codicote B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had a family party to attend and I had the job of choosing and booking the accomodation. Given the reviews and my brother and sister-in-laws preference for 5* hotels, I was more than a little worried about making this reservation. Time was limited and we all wanted to stay in the same place so I took a gamble-and it paid off. First, I messed up the on-line booking so I phoned the Bell Inn and spoke to the manager (Paul) who assured me that he would rectify (all) my mistakes, which he did.Many thanks. We arrived earlier than we had anticipated-no problem. We then had lunch and Paul said that he doesn't do small portions, and no he doesn't, all at a VERY reasonable price. My steak was done to perfection, exactly as I had asked. Full English breakfast in the morning included everything that you could possibly think of and again the portions were very generous, to the extent that we wondered how they could make a profit. All the staff (especially the breakfast waitress-so calm amid the onslaught)) were pleasant and helpful. My only niggle-a dripping tap in the bathroom, which to be honest, I hardly noticed and no, I wouldn't have used the cups provided. We worked out the cost of a (Saturday) night here and it came to £18.50 each. What more could you possibly want?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Katy-Dan-Liz

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We arrived late and discovered that our booking for the Saturday for a double room had been put in as a twin room for the Sunday.The lady who dealt with us as was the only member of staff who did her job correctly.The reservation for the 6th July was also wrong.We had a twin room with one bed which was positively dangerous as it just glided across the floor if you went to sit on it or wanted to sit up in bed and read.We could only watch one channel on the tv as even the second remote did not work and a further trip to reception was out because you have to go outside to get there.The waitress got our breakfast order wrong .We were given a bottle of wine and £10 off our bill, but bearing in mind the mouldy bath and lack of hot water on our previous stay we felt this inadequate.The hair dryer also did not work.The manager could not even get the band in the pub to turn the volume down!The simple issues with the rooms could be dealt with by a competent individual in a day.The restaurant area was grubby, especially the door through to the toilets which was dreadful.When I cancelled our next booking the member of staff who we had not met previously said nothing.I tried to show a sense of humour, but this place falls short on too many issues.The lady who dealt with this on the Saturday night could have done better than her manager.In short this hotel is not improving and we would rather drive 130 miles home than stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 9 December 2012

The rooms are stated to be refurbished, but I couldn't see any difference to my first stay some years before. At least no improvement. The beds are quite comfortable and the location is pretty quiet.
The manager acts unobstrusively and was very nice to me personally, but I was the very only guest in the pub in the evening. I knew the Bell run under the former manager and it used to be a place full of life.
The breakfast was not that bad but also by far not what it used to be.
After all a place to stay for one night and if you don't expect more than a bed it's ok but not really worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This place is called the Bell now. I am guessing they haven't changed the name on Trip Advisor so people may not see the dreadful reviews.I needed a place to stay with my 2 daughters age 6&10 close to Knebworth. The chalet type room looked OK from the outside but inside was not good. It was so cold and damp. I couldn't get the heater to work. I told reception who said they would look into it. They didn't look into it. As the temperature dropped to 7 degrees outside the temperature inside was little more. The towel heater didn't work in the bathroom either. I do NOT expect to pay £74 for a room for a night in 2012 and not have central heating. I told the manager in the morning who said "thanks for telling me" but couldn't have looked or sounded any more disinterested. I was too angry / cold / disappointed to take the complaint any further. I hope this review puts other people off and prompts the owners to reinvest the money into a new central heating system. What a disgrace.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy-Hartwig
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I had a recent one night stay in room 9 of the Bell Motel (please change the name on tripadvisor). First impression was good nice looking pub, chalet type rooms externally pleasing though signs of poor maintenance. Go into room smelt strongly of damp, bath panel off and propped up in bedroom, dehumidifier switched on but not working because reservoir was full, carpet damp, wc seat broken and window cracked. On the positive side room was generally clean, good sheets and towels but the bed was so hard!
In the morning was in two minds whether to take advantage of the inclusive breakfast ....wow 3 eggs, two sausages, bacon, hash browns, black pudding, beans and tomato ......biggest breakfast I've ever had! Plus toast, juice, cereals and tea.
So overall cheap accommodation £45 a night for a double room ....food excellent but need to pay more attention to room maintenance in view of this I'd give it a low to average rating.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This hotel is now called The Bell Motel. New owners took over last year and updated the rooms.
The motel consists of a number of chalets at the rear of the Pub set in pleasant gardens with ample car parking spaces. The rooms are clean and pleasant with flat screen TV and now well-decorated. Very quiet surroundings. Codicote is a lovely friendly village with a few shops, restaurants and pubs.
The pub itself is very friendly and welcoming used by locals, contractors and residents. Good selection of drinks and food. Large screen TV. There is a separate quiet area restarant where a really hearty breakfast is served.

Room Tip: You should be able to park the outside your room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We spent a night here at the end of October - room 1. I should have read Trip Advisor first I should have boooed a taxi home!

Room was musty and very cold. Whlist the bed was comfortable we found it difficult to sleep with the fire alarm system casting an eerie green over the complete room all night. Bathroom was dirty and I certainly had no intention of usisng the shower.

Staff were not very helpful as they appeared to be attached to the Pub and couldn't help with any issues guests had with the rooms.

I will definitely not go back and will go to the Novotle 4 miles away next time I have to stay over around this area!

Room Tip: There does not appear to be one.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Been to Rustic Pub Co. Hotel? Share your experiences!