“The old ale house”

The Old Ale House Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rickmansworth
The Old Ale House Guest House
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“The old ale house”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

We work away so we don't expect the ritz but .... The room smelt damp, the sheets were never changed or the room cleaned in 4days, the cups were left dirty, and to top it off a shared bathroom between 2 other rooms the shower was broke so was expected to share use of bath, ok if it's for one night and your desperate otherwise stay clear

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank 213Ash

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

Rickmansworth is a charming town with plenty of historic buildings. This is a lively community with many special events including "Ricky Week" which includes activities for all interests and age groups. The railway station is a 15 minute walk from The Old Ale House. From there high speed diesel trains whisk you into the centre of London in about 30 minutes. Best of both worlds - charming old town and busy metropolis in one visit. When in Rickmansworth take the time to walk along the canels which operate much as they did hundreds of years ago in the era of the narrow boats and barges. The locks are opened by hand and there are plenty of barges and narrow boats to see. Old Ale House is a 500 year old building and as the name suggests it was once a pub. Here you will enjoy a delicious full English breakfast and delightful conversation with the owners who are an absolutely delightlful couple.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

Stayed at the Old Ale House recently. It is run by a charming couple for whom nothing was too much trouble. It is a lovely 500 year old house with exposed beams. My room was nice & comfortable and the breakfast they served up was excellent. Apparently, they have a number of regulars who keep coming come back. I will do the same, if I am ever in these parts again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Renu K
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed at The Old Ale House last week. I'm working in the area for the next month and I'm completely new to the area. Very helpful friendly landlady (Jackie) - nothing is too much trouble. The house itself is 500 years old and is full of character and furnished sympathetically. Rooms are clean and cosy. The traditional tastey grilled breakfasts certainly filled me up for the day! Only one snag - the bathroom isn't on suite, but hey, if that was so important I'd be coughing up £50 a night +, instead of the £32 I just paid. Let's be realistic.

I'll be trying to get booked in here for the rest of my month in Rickmansworth for sure - that's always assuming they're not fully booked - it's very popular and at this price you can see why. Excellent value!

Room Tip: Book early to avoid disappointment
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Fuengirola, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

....on a 128 day cycle tour of the UK. Totally charming lady runs the establishment and she kindly made me tea and toast as I arrived late, tired and soaked to the skin with no real desire to go out again that evening. The room was cosy and quaint and the whole house was spotless with antiques liberally on display everyhere.

I think they only have 3 letting rooms so it is a small establishment but it has a great "feels like home" about it!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank thisisspain
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

I have recently stayed at the Old Ale House due to working in Rickmansworth. The couple who run the B&B are very sweet however, the nightmare started when I got to my room, not only was there a distinct smell of dampness, when i picked my towel up to go and freshen up a little it had obviously not been dried well and had that fausty odour, The lighs on the wall were covered in cobwebs the sheets smelt damp and in general this whole place is un hygenic and the dirtiest place I have ever stayed. I did not want to sleep in the bed that creaked all night long but the bathroom was a nightmare also, dirty, hair in the bath, dust everywhere, just horrrid. This place should not be a loowed to trade with suck poor standards of what i would call basic hygiene.
DO NOT STAY THERE>!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank heretereandeverywher

Travellers are raving about these Rickmansworth hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

I am a frequent visitor of the Old Ale guest house due to work commitments nearby.
I have always found it to be a warm and friendly place to stay for numerous reasons.

The lady and gentleman who own the quaint house have always made me feel very welcome. On arrival I am shown to my room of fresh clean sheets, thick fluffy towels (Not like majority of the other places I have stayed) and fresh flowers.

The whole house is decorated with quality antique furniture. It is not only a very interesting place to stay due to the many old pictures that are intriguing to look at, but the house itself has an amazing history! Do make sure to ask the owners when you stay! They will be happy to fill you in and even show old photo's of the house when it was a pub!

The rooms come equipped with everything you need and everything expected of a B & B. Eg. T.V, Kettle and tea/coffee making facilities, spare pillows etc. The beds are comfortable and inviting. The bathroom- yes is communal, although quite frankly most B & B's I've stayed in are! If I wanted to stay in a 4* hotel with a on suit and luxury toiletries I would do so and pay the price!

Following a relaxing night sleep I am always impressed by a very tasty large grilled breakfast with many items from the menu you can choose from. Toast and cereals are also included if you wish too. Great value for money...especially if you have a large appetite!

I continue to return here when work duties call me to the area and would be very happy to encourage anybody to stay at the 'Old Ale House'. I have recommended this B & B to both friends and colleagues who have also had a very pleasant stay.

Location is still a little further than I would wish to travel to my work location, but I am willing to travel the extra distance to have an thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DrArbian43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rickmansworth
Premier Inn Watford (Croxley Green) Hotel
Premier Inn Watford Central Hotel
De Vere Latimer Estate
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Chesham

Been to The Old Ale House Guest House? Share your experiences!