“Shocking and dirty”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rickmansworth
The Old Ale House Guest House
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Shocking and dirty”
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I have recently stayed at the Old Ale House due to working in Rickmansworth. The couple who run the B&B are very sweet however, the nightmare started when I got to my room, not only was there a distinct smell of dampness, when i picked my towel up to go and freshen up a little it had obviously not been dried well and had that fausty odour, The lighs on the wall were covered in cobwebs the sheets smelt damp and in general this whole place is un hygenic and the dirtiest place I have ever stayed. I did not want to sleep in the bed that creaked all night long but the bathroom was a nightmare also, dirty, hair in the bath, dust everywhere, just horrrid. This place should not be a loowed to trade with suck poor standards of what i would call basic hygiene.
DO NOT STAY THERE>!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
8 Thank heretereandeverywher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I am a frequent visitor of the Old Ale guest house due to work commitments nearby.
I have always found it to be a warm and friendly place to stay for numerous reasons.

The lady and gentleman who own the quaint house have always made me feel very welcome. On arrival I am shown to my room of fresh clean sheets, thick fluffy towels (Not like majority of the other places I have stayed) and fresh flowers.

The whole house is decorated with quality antique furniture. It is not only a very interesting place to stay due to the many old pictures that are intriguing to look at, but the house itself has an amazing history! Do make sure to ask the owners when you stay! They will be happy to fill you in and even show old photo's of the house when it was a pub!

The rooms come equipped with everything you need and everything expected of a B & B. Eg. T.V, Kettle and tea/coffee making facilities, spare pillows etc. The beds are comfortable and inviting. The bathroom- yes is communal, although quite frankly most B & B's I've stayed in are! If I wanted to stay in a 4* hotel with a on suit and luxury toiletries I would do so and pay the price!

Following a relaxing night sleep I am always impressed by a very tasty large grilled breakfast with many items from the menu you can choose from. Toast and cereals are also included if you wish too. Great value for money...especially if you have a large appetite!

I continue to return here when work duties call me to the area and would be very happy to encourage anybody to stay at the 'Old Ale House'. I have recommended this B & B to both friends and colleagues who have also had a very pleasant stay.

Location is still a little further than I would wish to travel to my work location, but I am willing to travel the extra distance to have an thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank DrArbian43
UK
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I have just returned home from staying in this lovely, characterful and charming B&B. I stayed with my husband and mother-in-law as we were going to a wedding very near by. We all enjoyed our stay at The Old Ale House very much indeed. The rooms and facilities were cosy and charming, the food was fantastic, even my mother-in-law who is a very fussy eater was catered for happily. We will come and stay again in the near future.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Swansea, Wales
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I travel very frequently and enjoy staying at B&Bs for their character and a simple nice stay. I called the Old Ale House Guest House over a month before my visit and was told that a single room was available and only £29.50 with bathroom and breakfast, but payment must be made in cash. I expressed how pleased I was at that price, and would bring the cash. As I was attending a competition the next morning (and reason for the stay), I made sure that the B&B was close to the venue -which they said it was right around the corner.

I arrived at the B&B which was VERY small, but looked old and quaint. It was only when I was greeted that the experience turned into a feeling of being in the movie Hot Fuzz. I was shown my room -with 2 beds just two steps away from the dinning room (adored with old church furniture and lots of vintage items and pictures) and about 7 steps from the front door. It was then that I was told my visit would be £37.00 because they didn't have the single available. I stated I was told £29.50 cash on the phone. The owner then told me I was wrong and that she told me that that would be the cost for the single 'if it was available'. I can not understand why she would quote me for a single if it was 'possibly' available when I ARRIVED. As cash was necessary I was a bit upset as I only brought what I needed for the B&B and travel. So to prevent an argument at 10;00 at night, I paid her for the double (2 single beds). This was only the beginning of the 'misleading' from the owner and her cheerful husband/partner. Second, the room had two beds -only one made up. So I was basically instructed as to which one I could sleep in (having now paid for both beds). Then I was told the bathroom/toilet was upstairs. If I knew that the room was not ensuite, there would have been NO WAY that I would have stayed there! Then to top off this treat of a mess -the toilet was surrounded in flowers and lace, with only a both -no shower, with SHARED soap. Private soap was not supplied. There was no way I was going to sit in a bath using soap that everyone had used. Thankfully I managed to kneel in the bath and use the cleaning wipes that I had for traveling.

This was the MOST unhygienic and misleading place I had ever had the misfortune to stay at. I would strongly advise anyone looking for a place to stay to take a wide birth and steer clear from this place. And with the visit and memories of my room with the cross on the wall (yes...a cross) I made my way 'around the corner' which took 20 mins to walk.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
6 Thank DrButton

Travellers are raving about these Rickmansworth hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rickmansworth
Premier Inn Watford (Croxley Green) Hotel
#7 of 13 in Watford
The Grove Hotel
The Grove Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chandler's Cross

Been to The Old Ale House Guest House? Share your experiences!