“First Class meal”
Review of The Old Manor

The Old Manor
Reserve with OpenTable
The Old Manor is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 59 Restaurants in Potters Bar
Price range: US$0 - US$38
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Old Manor restaurant with separate bar is set amongst the Tudor beams of a stunning 500 year old building. Freshly home cooked food, decent wine list and range of well kept cask ales has been the recipe for our success of the last 11 years. In the bar at weekends there is music and dancing. Visit soon for easy parking, friendly staff and all day, every day opening, you won't be disappointed!
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Visited tonight for a meal with friends, a table was booked via internet. When we arrived we were led to our table with menus. On enquiries being made about menus, the staff were able to answer adequately. With regard to the meal itself, one word, perfect. Each meal served was hot. We were not rushed at all with good amount of time between course. Recommend booking first.

2  Thank Lambo66

Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just had Sunday lunch at The Old Manor Potters Bar. Ordered a bottle of house wine which we had to ask for again as it seemed it was forgotten. Took my mum who ordered liver and bacon (medium cooked). When it turned up it was burnt to a cinder. Told waitress who took it back and apologised. Came back a little later and liver was still "cremated". Very disappointed with the food for my mum. Manager was very apologetic and took the cost of the meal off our bill. Feel very dubious about going there again. Always had a good name this Pub but not sure we will return.

Carole Dennison

2  Thank Carole D
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Been here a few times each time we have had poor service, food was ok but unfriendly staff who were particularly rude and clearly didn't want to be working there.

2  Thank Brits2006
pboldmanor, Owner at The Old Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2014

I am disappointed not to have received a reply to my last mail sent to your personal address.

Your one star review set off an investigation as to the validity of your comments and, as you know, I left no stone unturned in getting to the bottom of your review content.

For anybody interested enough to read this, the snapshot of events were:

You told me that you were very tired and emotional during your visit. Your behaviour intimidated our waiting staff, and the junior manager on duty seriously overreacted. This led to an unnecessarily heated outpouring of dissatisfaction from you as you were asked to leave.

Had a more senior manager been on duty this would have all been nipped in the bud and I sincerely regret this did not happen. But life goes on, the junior staff have all learnt a valuable lesson in dealing with this rare type of situation and the restaurant management systems have been altered to avoid this happening again.

I have already offered you my apologies for the way we handled your behaviour.

We here, as a team, have put this down as a no-score-draw and have moved on.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Went on Sunday evening with two friends from abroad whose return journey from a trip on the Thames was delayed. Ended up calling the pub hree times to see whether they could still hold our table and the staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendlier (and luckily the answer was yes).

Beautiful old building and a very enjoyable evening meal. Perhaps it was because we were so late and most people were on dessert when we arrived, but our food came quickly, piping hot and tasty. We were all very happy with our choice and the portions were sufficiently generous none of us had room for dessert. Our waiter was friendly, helpful and amusing and specially found a printed sheet for our friends to look at giving the history of the building.

We intend to visit again. In my ideal world, I would like to see one or two more non-meat - and preferably vegetarian - choices. If we visit regularly, I think we will quickly find the menu restrictive.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Although this was our third visit (two previous was very good) I was very disappointed this time.
Table was booked for 3.30pm and as usual we had good service for drinks and starter then it all began to go downhill after waiting for nearly one hour for our main meal (the large roast) I had to ask the waitress how long it would be. Five minutes later it came to the table The beef was dry and slightly burnt the lamb was also fairly dry and the vegetables was minuscule and plain.
Also there was not much meat so my wife asked for some more pink beef as hopefully this would not be to dry. The food was not a patch on what we had before and my guess is they had began to run out (although they serve up to 8pm) hence the Waite and shortage of vegetables.
It was rather embarrassing as we had two friends with us and we had told them how good The Old Manor is.
I will however try it once more and book for about 1 to 1.30pm and if the meal/service is the same as my last visit I certainly will not be going back.

3  Thank christopher f