“Almost good, but could have so easily been excellent”

Ringwood Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Brimington
Reviewed 9 June 2011

It's totally frustrating to find a nice place like Ringwood Hall only to be let down by attention to detail. We booked one of their apartments, which was very nice, a kitchen with full oven, hotplates, etc. but NO knives for preparation, only cutlery for eating!! When querying this at reception we were told they didn't supply knives. Now, I don't know how many international travellers carry cooking knives in their suitcase, we we are not one of them. We went to open a bottle of wine - no corkscrew!! Reception sent someone down with one, but we had to open the wine then as he needed it for that night. Forget wine the second night we were staying. Apart from the rubbish not being removed from the previous tenant, perhaps an oversight, I would have been more than happy with our apartment

I am writing this review from the brickwall outside our apartment. Not exactly the best place to be as it's quite cold. If you are offering internet service, then quite frankly I expect it to be supplied. I don't expect to have to have intermittent service, or to have to go outside to have a connection, not at the prices that Ringwood Hall charge. If you get the feeling I'm ot happy, you're right.

So, unfortunately, I would have to say Ringwood Hall have not provided, what should have been an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
RonaCosh, General Manager at Ringwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2011

Our occasionally intermittent wifi is, understandably, irritating. These are the occasions when I truly wished the hotel was more "purpose" built. Accommodation spread over several acres in Victorian build are wonderful, unique and charming, but not without challenges, even in the high technology of the 21st century.
No excuse for the lack of a corkscrew - of course standard equipment for a luxury apartment, especially as quality glassware and a chilling facility are provided. Most probably removed by the previous guest. I believe we had over 2 dozen taken (by mistake of course) last year!! That said the roommaid who serviced the apartment should have noticed when she checked the inventory. But then she missed the refuse too, for which there is no excuse!!
As for knives. Well, I think the phrase "damed if you do.....damned if you don`t" comes to mind.
The cooking knives were recently removed when an unhappy parent gave us some constructive ffedback about the presence of sharp knives in an open plan appartment accommodating children.
Our appartments located in the gardens with private parking facilities, are very unique, very special and attract considerable praise from our clients. Sorry that you were disappointed.

Reviewed 29 May 2011

I've stayed here a couple of times on business recently and found it to be just the job. Friendly staff, nice big room and an excellent breakfast - no scrimping! The leisure centre is fine and the grounds are lovely. I got a good discount off the normal rate on late rooms. Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
RonaCosh, General Manager at Ringwood Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Delighted that you found the hotel "just the job".
Our friendly staff do like to make it "home from home" for our guests, especially for those away on business who are trying to avoid the bland souless hotels where they just feel processed!
Sometimes we think we should supply slippers as you check in!!
We look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

We have just returned from a marvellous 2 night break at the Ringwood Hall Hotel. We cannot express enough how much we enjoyed our stay. From the moment we checked in we realized the friendliness, the professionalism, and the courteousness of the entire staff. The hotel is decorated and furnished to a high standard throughout and everywhere was immaculate. The buffet breakfast offered a very good choice of everything you could have wished for and the evening meals were exceptional, offering a good choice and everything being cooked to order. The staff were very professional but we felt the most important thing was that they all gave you that personal touch, which you do not find very often these days. They were a credit to the Hotel. The Ringwood is family run and this was evident throughout particularly with the quality of the staff. This hotel is very popular for weddings, particularly at weekends. This is not surprising with the beautiful Hall and the magnificent grounds, which are also immaculately maintained.We found the hotel perfect for a midweek break and for visiting Chatsworth House and the surrounding area. We could not fault anything and the beautiful room and the meals were exceptional value for money. We would have no hesitation in visiting this hotel again and maybe next time hopefully have time to use the marvellous spa facilities or just spend time relaxing in the gardens.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

So delighted that you had such a pleasant break at Ringwood Hall Hotel.
We take a pride in the friendly and attentive service that we provide and we do, indeed, consider ourselves fortunate that the owners invest considerably in the upkeep of the building and gardens.
Thankyou for your lovely comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Myself and my partner decided to stay overnight at the venue whilst attending a friends wedding and we're so glad we did. The "Charlie Markham" feature room had a spacious modern bathroom with large corner bath and a high end finish throughout the room, very impressed!
The wedding itself went perfectly, the food was excellent, the hotel grounds were very well looked after and much larger than we anticipated!

Room Tip: well worth a visit, gorgeous venue with lovely g
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2011

being disabled in a wheelchair ,makes finding suitable accomodation difficult , but my stay here was excellent. purpose built wet room a rare find. the staff very friendly and helpful. the food good
.my wife enjoyed some pampering with a facial and back massage.(booking in advance is necessary)
cant wait to go back again

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cs462772
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed here for four nights, during which I attened a wedding. If you're hosting a wedding then you can stop worrying that it won't turn out good. They are clearly masters at the whole process and even though they had four evening parties on one night across the hotel you still felt that yours was the only one there. And it's wonderful to walk back to the room when you want to change or have a break.

I had a cheaper deal (£65) for a solo room, which turned out to be two beds. As usual for me when travelling solo my room is at the furthest point from reception. However, on the plus side there was a fire escape door nearby that opened up to the gym which was nice and handy. The gym itself is very small and some of the equipment bizarre to work out but I still managed to use it. The pool was small and looked really nice and I wished I'd had time to dive in during my stay.

The staff were very friendly on the whole but I was surprised when checking in that my request for a local map/guides to look at things to do was met with a simple "no". I thought it was South Yorkshire charm but she was very serious and very unhelpful as a result! The emphasis on weddings/parties shows at this hotel because before and after the event the bar areas were nearly always empty. When I checked out on the monday I thought I was one of the last left in the entire hotel so it can feel a bit empty there. Also, I noticed a big variety in the make up of the rooms, with some have baths at the end of the bed! (I noticed this when rooms were being cleaned and not because I was sneaking in I hasten to add!)

There's a fancy restaurant there but I couldn't afford that so when I asked reception for alternatives I was ubruptly told there was a local pub four minutes walk away. I went and it turned out to be a local pub in the middle of a Friday party night preparing to start the Karaoke. I had one of those "is the music going to stop" moments when I entered the pub and it wasn't too friendly to be honest. And they'd stopped the food at 8pm as well. Maybe it would be different with a group but it's definitely a lads type bar at the weekend!

Location wise, it's close to Barrow Hill Engine Shed which is interesting (and free) if you like historic trains. It's only open to the public at the weekends. Chesterfield's new football ground is just a short taxi ride as is the town centre, which is quaint but I only visited briefly. I went to Matlock and Derwent Valley area mainly and that was very beautiful and interesting too. Look out for a John Smedley factory clothing sale as they are sometimes held and I got some very good deals there.

Anyway, II'd describe the hotel as nice and just about ok at the price I paid. There was very little noise in the hotel at night and the shower was good too. The bed was a bit spongey but okay. If you want to do things at night, however, you'll need a car to get anyway really.

To clarify my recommendation I would only do so for a wedding or event at the hotel, or if you're prepared to use it as a base and drive to everything.

Room Tip: Ive yet to work that one so far!!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank LawrenceDWM
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Came here with family and young child to a Mother's day event and It was the best Mother's day I've ever had! Wanted somewhere a bit different and special to book for my mum for Mother's day and also myself and it was that in every way. I really enjoyed the structure of the event where we was sat down in the relaxed bar with drinks and food orders taken before taken into the posh light, open dining room for the meal. The service was excellent, very fast and efficient and was on hand as soon as needed. During eating plates were taken straight away and another course fetched as soon as. Service to my little girl was also excellent chair pushed in for her and serviette placed on her knee. Face painting was there for my little girl which she enjoyed and a pianist played gentle music throughout the meal.
The halls grounds was very pretty with all the daffodils and could see the summer flowers approaching, Was very interesting to walk around as there was lots of little what I call 'secret gardens' . Magnificent, open views and overall just had the best Mother's day experience ever. Thank you to Ringwood Hall xx

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brimington
Casa Hotel
#1 of 1 in Palterton
The Old Hall Hotel
The Old Hall Hotel
#3 of 9 in Buxton

Been to Ringwood Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!