“Highly recommended.”

and 1 more site!
Peel Hey
Ranked #1 of 1 Frankby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Peel Hey recently hosted a funeral reception for us. The room accommodated the fifty guests very comfortably while still feeling intimate. There was a conservatory too with easy chairs and an attractive view. The buffet food was very good and plenty of it; the staff attentive and sympathetic.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayne L
PeelHey, Manager at Peel Hey, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments, which we will pass on to our staff. We are glad, that at such a difficult time, we were able to offer you and your family a pleasant experience at such a stressful time. We hope to welcome you back to Peel Hey soon under pleasanter circumstances.

There are newer reviews for Peel Hey

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I have wanted to try here for a while as am a massive fan of afternoon tea. My friend booked a table for 11:30 and was told there was a private function on from 12.30, no problems at this point.

Upon arriving, we were shown to the small conservatory where 4 people were (1 of whom were lying on the sofa). They were just staring at us, very uncomfortable. One was sat at the table we were seated at and wouldn't move... (sofa and seats next to a table). All very odd.

A girl announced to us that it was her mother's 60th party... they clearly didn't want us there.

We got up and told staff we were leaving as it was awkward.

Staff were incredibly apologetic, said this party has turned up at 9:30 for a 12:30 booking. It was incredibly disappointing, luckily we are local and went to Hillbark instead who kindly fitted us in for lunch.

As a business owner myself I wouldn't allow this to happen. The group were just sitting there, stopping paying guests. Incredibly rude. I would have asked them to set up then leave until party was due to start or pay my losses.

Seems a lovely place with lovely staff, but simply an odd set up. If you are offering afternoon tea, perhaps reserve an area for this to happen away from party areas? Would be terrible for anyone elderly or disabled to have to leave in this fashion, or those travelling a long distance.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
PeelHey, Owner at Peel Hey, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

We would like to apologise again for your unfortunate experience. Having discussed this with our duty manager on that day, the group you refer to were resident guests, which placed us with a very difficult & sensitive situation to resolve. We would like to thank you for your positive comments about our staff and hope that you will return to Peel Hey soon to sample our excellent Afternoon Tea.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Peel Hey was able to accommodate our family of children, grand children and great grand children, some from New Zealand. We had an excellent dinner on Saturday night, well cooked and well presented and later retired to comfortable bedrooms. Every aspect of the service was helpful, efficient and friendly and we all enjoyed a memorable weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night at Peel Hey and were very pleased with our en suite room. The room was very clean and everything was of a good quality. The bath/wash products were Elemis, hot chocolate was Galaxy etc. in addition to a hot drink tray we were provided with still and sparkling water. The decor was very easy on the eye, beds were lovely and comfortable. We were too warm with the duvet on, too cold without.
We ate breakfast and sunday lunch. Both were freshly cooked, locally sourced products. The roast beef was really tender and tasty. The vegetable were exactly as we like them. If i was to find fault it would be to say that I personally would have preferred the gravy served seperately.
As I write this review I cannot imagine a reason why we would not return next time we are in the area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
PeelHey, Owner at Peel Hey, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you Neil & Ange for taking the time to review Peel Hey. We are glad that you had a lovely stay & look forward to welcoming you back soon when we will order some warm & sunny weather. Kind regards Sue , Ken& the team.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

My friend and I were meeting up for the weekend so I chose Peel Hey after finding it on the Visit Wirral website in the dog friendly section.
The online booking is quite good; you can choose which room you want and enter all your payment card details, it didn't ask about the dog though. It is £7.50 for the dog including breakfast according to the Peel Hey page on the Visit Wirral website.
We met at Peel Hey in the morning and looked around for someone to ask if it was OK to leave one car there while we went off for the day. A man appeared and we deduced he was Ken the owner. He said it was OK to leave the car and offered and made tea & coffee for us which was nice. I mentioned the dog hadn't paid and Ken laughed it off. Maybe he gets to stay for free I wondered, he is small and doesn't make a mess.
Off we went and did a lovely walk, West Kirby & Caldy Hill and lunch at Aubergine (fantastic) in West Kirby.
On our return to Peel Hey we were welcomed but then some kerfuffle ensued as to which room we were in. This seems to be a recurring theme in the reviews. Sue & Ken did some chuntering between them as to which room were should go in. I mentioned I had selected the room on-line but they said they reserved the right to move guests and rooms around. So we were taken to room 7 which is a family room. I had booked family room 6 so no real difference. The only twin room was already booked hence choosing this room as we didn't want to share a bed.
The room had a double bed, one side table, wall mounted TV, metal chair (with a padded panel that had become unscrewed so was tied on with a ribbon), under stairs counter with tea facilities and lamp on and another chair. En-suite shower room. Stairs lead up to a mezzanine with twin beds and a pull out bed and a wardrobe with a drawer.
No clock in the room.
The beds were well made and had lovely crisp bed linen.
The shower room was clean and had nice white firm towels which I like, but they weren't fluffy.
There was one hook on the en-suite door where a towelling dressing gown was hanging; I saw a blob of something pink and sticky on it. I put it in the wardrobe out of the way.
Elemis products are supplied but the handwash was almost empty and the shower gel pump didn't screw on to the bottle so was awkward to use. I tried to screw it on but it wouldn't.
The dog rolled a toy under the bed. I lifted the valance (white stains on it on the table side) and saw a pair of hotel slippers under the bed.
The website shows this room with cream walls but it has been decorated and now has a feature wall papered, the rest is pink with a big scuff mark on.
The curtains are threaded onto a pole (no hooks) and have big tasselled tie backs but the trim on the tie backs has unravelled on each of the 4 hanging parts and looks untidy.
I sound like I'm moaning now but the website says they pay attention to detail and all the things I mention are the details. The devil is in the detail.
Breakfast the next morning was very good. The continental bit was standard OK fare but the cooked breakfast was excellent. The tea at Peel Hey is a bit wishy washy for me as I like Yorkshire tea but others might like it.
The dog didn't get his breakfast.
After breakfast we packed and loaded the cars. We wondered whether we should 'check out' or just go, we decided to 'check out'. This turned out to be a good idea as all the on-line booking and payment details weren't payment but reservation. The duty person (no Ken or Sue) who was very nice sorted out our bill. The dog had been charged his £7.50 but hadn't had his breakfast. I mentioned this and the nice lady said 'Oh does it say that on the website?' She went off and came back and said they didn't have any sausages ready but next time he comes they'll give him two.
Will there be a next time? I think there might, we had a good sleep, in nice beds, in a clean room in a dog friendly establishment and a good breakfast but the attention to detail and withholding a sausage from a small well behaved dog means that I have to down grade my rating plus I feel that the room rate is a wee bit too high but that may well reflect market prices in the area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WoodyPuppy
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I cannot comment on the B&B side of things as we only stayed for afternoon tea which was really good. Great food and lovely surroundings and staff. We were a large party but were very well looked after - including 3 gluten-free cream teas for 3 Coeliacs in the family. Best gfree cream tea I have ever had.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pottsfamily61
PeelHey, Owner at Peel Hey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent Afternoon Tea at Peel Hey. We have passed on your lovely comments to our Chef & Staff, and look forward to welcoming you back soon for a 'Gluten Free' Tea. We are also able to provide dairy free & vegan options on request. Kind regards Sue

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Extremely disappointing! We booked this B&B for 7 nights on the basis that it had a 'wheelchair accessible' room. No provision had even been made for my expected arrival and I was made to negotiate around to a side entrance with even more doors (and golf clubs!) to contend with.

The 'wheelchair accessible' bathroom within our room most definitely wasn't! The basin in there is nothing more than a cloakroom basin the tap didn't work and mirror too high - an altogether 'tired' room to say the least! Biggest problem was that there is no room to transfer to the loo and I should point out that as an 'active' wheelchair user I am used to overcoming problems.
I have never left a bad review anywhere before but feel very strongly that disabled people should not be told places are accessible when they clearly aren't. We had travelled 300 miles on trust and ended up leaving after 1 frustrating night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ElaineP1957
PeelHey, Manager at Peel Hey, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for your review. We are obviously disappointed that Peel Hey did not meet your expectations, and for this we apologise. As a converted Victorian farmhouse, in order to meet the requirements of 'Accessibility for all' we have endeavoured to provide a ground floor bedroom suitable for wheelchair users, which has been used successfully on numerous occasions. The fitments in the bathroom, were specifically installed & supplied as disabled products and a description of this room is detailed in our 'Accessibility Statement' shown on our web site. Unfortunately, as with all house conversions, the limitations of space & usability will never be the same as a purpose built building. We have 2 options for access to the building, one of which is a portable ramp which is located adjacent to the conservatory, and the other is a purpose built side access ramp which is adjacent to the ground floor bedroom. As I welcomed you & your husband personally, your preference was to use the side access ramp, the Golf club bag , left their by a guest, was removed immediately, and the only 'negotiation' was that of the bedroom door and the fire door, which is a requirement in all hotels, to protect guests safety.
We have taken on board all your comments and are extremely disappointed that despite our/my best efforts to make your short stay with us as comfortable as possible, in addition to our offer to find you more suitable accommodation, you felt the need to post such a scathing review with no acknowledgement of the many positive aspects of your visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Frankby
Leasowe Castle Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Thornton Hough

Been to Peel Hey? Share your experiences!