“Wrong night wrong choices? But not again!”
Review of Burnt Truffle

Burnt Truffle
Reserve a table
Mon, 1/25
20:00
Ranked #7 of 61 Restaurants in Heswall
Description: Heswall's neighbourhood Bistro serving fresh, classic food. From the group that brought you Sticky Walnut, Hispi, Wreckfish, Pinion and Kala.
Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

I am an expert on Chicken Liver Pâté ! Predictable as I am! Eight of us ordered various starters & one of us asked the waitress Tagliatelle or Pâté - she advised the former! But, I went with my standard choice!

Pâté was awful more of a soufflé / mouse affair! Presentation was as if a five year old had put it on the plate! Everyone else's starters all looked good at least - this was a joke!
I did make my feelings / observations plain there & then! The waitress acknowledged theirs was
a 'light' Pâté !
My main: Pork Belly was good! One of our group muttered about an unsatisfactory main!

I was still hungry at this point (thank the Lord I didn't let any of the assembled have one of my 'side' chips!

So I had to have a Dessert! Not too fussed - but I can never pass over a Creme brûlée!

I asked the waitress if the Creme brûlées were passable! She knew of my dissatisfaction with the starter! I had full assurance!

Well, not over sized! Looked like a good Creme brûlée - lovely coating of burnt sugar / nice and hard! But! The creme was not too dissimilar to a quality brand of custard from a certain supermarket! (Now, there is a trick for a dinner party with non too discerning guests!) Sorry, once again it didn't do it for me!

So what are the positives? Nice bottle of water on the table with a mint in it! Most of us were satisfied with our fair! Staff most attentive!

Moving on! Wine, when I see prices going above £20 I have lost interest & really question as to why I am there in the first place! However, play the man! Homed in on the third choice of wine @ £22! (Little else I could do!) I asked to see two particular bottles & inspected them. Reds! They felt as if they had come out of a fridge! You don't treat an everyday Red like that! I made mention of the fact & I was assured the Bottle that would be returned would be at an appropriate temperature!

My companions however were imbibing a White wine @ a modest £35 per bottle - easy to open (with a screw top!!) I never buy screw top bottles of wine - at any price!

Overall - I had heard reports various! Now, that I've been there needn't go again! Too much of a gamble!

Lessons to be learnt? Mine? I won't return! For them? Well, simply this the customer is always right! And matters are always resolved when simply saying or their choosing not to itemise a particular starter in the final bill ? (That's what a good restaurant does / especially when it chooses to make most of its profits on its wines?)

1251  Thank Caporciano
StickyWalnut, Owner at Burnt Truffle, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2016

Good evening Sir!

This is my first ever response to a Burnt Truffle review!

There are two things that I am really pleased about! Firstly, Emma and I never have to see you in Burnt Truffle again! You were vile! Secondly, that I was actually working in the kitchen at Burnt Truffle the evening you dined! I was able to support the team whilst they dealt with your onslaught! In fact, you Sir are the reason I was stood in a queue at a petrol station at 10.05pm that night buying eight cans of Stella whilst questioning the human race!

“Worse pâté I’ve ever had!” you said to Emma who was trying to run the restaurant that evening! “A disgusting mousse texture!” you said! “Why on earth was there not rocket?” you said! “I am an expert!” you said! “And presentation is a joke!” you said! As I’ve said before to other Level 6 TripAdvisor food critics – it’s a slice of pâté with toast! Let me know if you do want to come again and I’ll serve it in a Martini glass garnished with rocket and sparklers!

You went on! You said that the wine was terrible and you asked Emma to put it in the microwave! You didn’t stop there! You then asked if the crème brûlée would be good enough to pass your exacting criteria!!!! You complained about price, you complained about portion size and you complained about quality! You even complained about a mouse (sic)…..!

I’ve been through some of your 105 reviews! A common notable theme of your negativity is “rude and bad mannered people”! Sir! Can I ask – is it not rude the way you acted in front of your seven companions and the way you attempted to humiliate our team at Burnt Truffle all evening?! Is it not rude telling the Manager, in front of your seven companions and everyone else within earshot, that the pâté was the worst that you have ever tasted?! Have you ever seen the quote “A person who is nice to you but is not nice to the waiter is not a nice person”?!

You wrote “But, what is a gamble for the restauranteur is they never know which is the guy sat there who will write a report! And they got lucky it was me! (sic)” ! Sir! There’s a flip side to this! I think it’s you who took the gamble! You got me!

You ended, coincidentally as is often the case with “Level 6” contributors and avid badge collectors, with the old fashioned phrase “The customer is always right!” and you Sir are precisely why the GUEST is not always right! The pâté was taken off the bill but you were so self involved and self righteous that you missed the explanation!

Finally, Sir, we have two other restaurants! One is Sticky Walnut in Chester and the other is Hispi in Manchester! You said you wouldn’t be returning to Burnt Truffle! So just to make absolutely sure we don’t see you at either of the other two, the pâté recipe is the same in all three!

Arrividerci bro!
Gazza X !

Write a reviewReviews (591)

Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

What a little hidden treasure this is. The waitresses are so attentive, but not intrusive, the chefs are on hand to explain the minutia of the very detailed menu. The portions are not gargantuan, thank goodness, and who ever is in charge is clever enough to understand their patrons appetite. It's fair to say it's not cheap but you get what you pay for, the pork and Jacob's ladder beef were superb. A must for anyone who enjoys good food cooked to perfection and not pretentious.

23  Thank Kathleen S
Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

Went here with my mate on a sunday lunch time.phoned up asking for table in half hour.not a problem.
Read lot of reviews about young staff being slow and uninterested. i couldnt fault them.polite and helpful throughout.
sunday day menu is very limited
we both just had main courses but both was excellent .i had pork my mate had beef.very reasonable priced.
will be back too try full midwek menu.

16  Thank jamies624
Reviewed 6 November 2016

Enjoyed an excellent family dinner last night at BT. The Jacob's Ladder was delicious and the Gloucester Old Spot Pork Belly (cooked to perfection) with wonderful accompaniments such as charred baby gem, caramelised pineapple, little onion baskets, gorgeous hazelnuts and tasty jus was top notch. Suggest it becomes a permanent fixture on the menu. The Chocolate Ganache, salted caramel, almond granola and fig plus the Orange and Almond Sponge with butterscotch and sorbet were superb. Even the coffee was very good served with beautiful home-made petit fours.
The girls who served us could not have been more attentive or friendly. Can't wait for next visit.

13  Thank 7Marilyn
Reviewed 6 November 2016 via mobile

What a great place visited last week couldn't fault anything at all will definitely be back well done guys

6  Thank AndyBriggs123