“Fair play!”

Chantilly
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Hoylake
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neston, United Kingdom
“Fair play!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

The comments of the two ladies, below, strongly suggest that their visit coincided with our first visit to the Chantilly. In order to provide some balance, we would have to say that, at no time did we hear or observe any unpleasantness from staff or adverse reactions from customers. This, despite one of the kiddies being a "little" boisterous but isn't this what happy kids do? From our observations the children certainly enjoyed themselves!
Our experience was so enjoyable that we've returned a number of times already and will go again! The food is excellent, the cakes are superb, particularly the tarts, warmed with custard!
We can't fault the service either, speedy, efficient and friendly!

Hoylake, United Kingdom
“always a warm welcome - especially children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

I hate recommending Chantilly's - because it just means more people will go and I might not get in. However I felt compelled to respond to a previous reviewer who said it's not 'child friendly'. As a regular I witness a wonderful mix of generations - old and young - but young children are always especially made welcome - hence the 'high chairs and toys'. Obviously getting a 'little vocal' is tolerated but actively encouraging your child to scream? Perhaps not. By the way, the frowns were aimed at the parents not the children. But happily, as is their right, they choose not to go again... more room for those that do. Everyone's a winner.

4 Thank Carolyn M
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“snack visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

entered Chantilly waved to friend the went to toilet. As I entered one of the staff said can I help you
I said I was just using the toilet and my friend was sitting over there.As she obviously thought I was just using facilities. Next when we made an order. when it arrived we asked for some spoons/forks and in a rude manner waitress replied i'll get them in a minute. She blamed the baby for startling her because he was very vocal. all in all was not impressed with staff and will not be going again. one good point the food was acceptable.

1 Thank jan996
Wirral, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unfriendly staff!! Not child friendly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Yes I agree the cakes were wonderful but, we went in with a 1 year and 3 year old they were very well behaved but a little vocal as children are and we were continually looked at and frowned upon. I asked for a teaspoon and was snapped at "yes I will get it in a minute". Perhaps if you don't want children in there don't supply high chairs and toys!!! We won't go in there again.

1 Thank Kate W
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“The best homemade cakes around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I love this place. I literally fell upon this charming cafe 4 years ago and have loved it ever since. The owners are so lovely and make you fell so welcome. They do the best homemade cakes ever they also include a gluten free range which is amazing for me as I have a slight wheat intolerance. I would deffinatley recommend this to anyone. The wirral gets a lot of walkers and there is nothing better than stopping here for some lovely homemade soup, homemade bread and to the most scrummy homemade cakes. You will be sorry if you dont try this out.

1 Thank claire j