Monte Carlo Restaurant, Bar and Grill
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We enjoyed our evening there. Pleasant surroundings, good wine.

Sea food in the half-price pasta was small and clearly farmed, but the anti-pasto was excellent.

Prices could be a little lower even taking into account the offers.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Seven of us had Dinner at The Monte Carlo to celebrate 2 Birthdays. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the service was prompt, probably because we were eating relatively early.

The Menu is extensive and everyone enjoyed their meals. However the price is very high and is not competitive with alternatives locally. Perhaps they have increased the prices in anticipation of the forthcoming Open Golf Championship at Royal Liverpool GC which is only a very short walk away ?

Nice evening spoilt by a large bill !

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Dined here on several occasions, with friends and partner, suitable for both occasions. Food is very good quality, I particularly enjoy the fish dishes, the quality is great. Having said that the fillet steak is also tremendous. As others have said not the cheapest place to eat but the quality and service make the cost very good value. As the title says already booked a return visit for my aunts birthday lunch.

1  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Consistently good, we've dined here several times and it is always excellent.
Great range of food, excellent staff who are attentive enough without being overbearing. It's not the most economically priced place to dine of an evening but quality seldom comes cheap - that said if you dined on pasta or Pizza it would be a very reasonably priced experience certainly of a lunchtime or afternoon. Evenings, certainly on a Saturday I seem to recall Pizza was missing from the menu (I may be mistaken) but a full range of pasta was there as a first or main course option, portions are generous too.
We opted for some of the more refined items on the menu; Chicken livers to start, an amazingly tasty sauce and ciabatta to soak it up, my wife went for the garlic mushrooms. Our main courses were anything but standard fayre, see the pictures!

I went for a Veal escalope smothered in a a combination of Parma ham & mozzarella, tasty but slightly salty for my pallet. My wife had Sea Bass Fillets in a cream white wine sauce with mussels, she raved about it, high praise indeed from a woman who hails from the UK's most famous fish port of Grimsby. Both dishes served with a small but great tasty selection of fresh vegetables.

As we were rolling the boat out we went for desserts too, not quite sure how we managed the over generous portions.

With cocktails to start (Peach Bellini's that were a tad disappointing) followed by an excellent bottle of Zinfandel and my wife had a liqueur coffee our bill was sizeable but worth every penny, per my comments above, if you went the pizza and past route you would dine here for under £20 per couple I'd guess.

If I were heading to Hoylake for the Open Golf I'd be booking my reservation now, this Establishment (probably within half a mile of the course) will rightly be popular.

1  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We found ourselves in Hoylake at lunchtime just as it started to pour down so decided to pop in to Monte Carlo for lunch. We both had pasta and garlic bread and it was lovely. Having had a terrible experience the previous evening, it was a pleasant surprise! I was beginning to think no-one could make a decent lasagne! As I was on my hols we decided on the back of that experience to try an evening dinner. We went for the Monday special- 3 courses for £20 with bottle of wine each thrown in! Wine was pleasant if light and the food was good. I had a Kir Italia which was good. Service was fine but do agree with other review about too much startling white surroundings and noisy environment. however I would certainly return.

1  Thank Galadriel1960