“Not just a hotel”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bromborough
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Not just a hotel”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I spent 2 nights here in early October, and can see why this place is called The Village.
There's so much going on here, it can be quite busy when you step through the doors - there's a Spa/gym, a bar, a Starbucks, a restaurant, and the hotel itself - which also offers the standard conference and wedding/celebration packages too.

Despite all this going on, the trip through reception was swift and easy, the only downside being that they can't take a debit card for any food or extras on the room - just credit cards.
when I stayed there was a conference on at the same time, so the hotel was busy - and pretty much totally full, which is why I assume I ended up with a family room.

Not bad as far as space and comfort went for myself, but had I been travelling with my husband I would have been a bit annoyed at not having a proper double bed - what I got was 2 singles pushed together and made up as a double.
I was on my own though, and had a nice spacious room with a good dining table/working area, and a large sofa.
There's good wardrobe/hanging space, and plenty of drawers for clothing & storing general 'stuff'
The hotel has free wifi throughout, and I was getting a decent strength signal too.

There are a few other points that the hotel should have a look at improving though.

As i said, I was in a family room, but if I was staying with children I would not have been happy with the level of noise coming from the spin class in the gym - it was loud enough to be able to make out the instructors shouted instructions and the dance music that they were working out to, this went on till about 19:45 both evenings.
When I called down to reception they did offer to move me the following day, but there were no more rooms available that evening - not a problem for me when I was told the finish time for the class, but I wouldn't be wanting small children trying to sleep in there with that going on - better noise insulation please!

The TV was new, but the remote control was missing the battery cover, and there were definitely less channels than I've found in other hotels. Several that were available weren't particularly clear either. I also noticed that there were poorly filled screw holes in the top of the unit the TV was sat on.

And finally - there are almost no plug sockets!
In the room I stayed in, there was 1 plug socket available, really - 1!
This single socket had to be used for the kettle, the hairdryer, powering my laptop, and charging my mobile.
I assume the cleaners have to use this for the hoover too...
I looked behing the bed, the tables, the units - nothing!
Everything else electrical was wired direct into the walls - and this really was the only available plug socket.
Maybe other rooms have more?
but this one definitely didn't - which seems very strange given how reliant we are these days on being able to plug things in

I did have a really good nights sleep though, and that's the main thing.
The bathroom was also clean and functional, with decent waterpressure on the shower (the showerhead could have done with a bit of a descale if I'm honest, but it worked)

Breakfast was also hot and filling, there was plenty of choice, and the cooked food was tasty and hot. It does help if you're there first thing though I guess.

All in all - I'd stay here again, but there are a few things they need to work on.
This could be a really nice hotel, but these few niggles are just really letting it down.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the upper floors/away from the gym
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
East Lancs
Reviewed 10 October 2013

pleasant location away from the hustle and bustle of LIverpool city but close enough to visit - just 10 mins away through Mersey tunnel. Almost opposite Port Sunlight model village/museum/art gallery which is well worth visiting. An Italian restaurant and pub on site both providing adequate food and Starbucks for coffee/cakes etc

Room Tip: upper deck room recommended
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed as a last minute booking after original hotel overbooked - wonderful - staff so helpful could not do enough for us - as only one night stay we wanted to check in as soon as possible and they were so understanding even though 3 hours before official check in time they located us a room
Rooms were fab so clean and everything you need on hand
Pool was bonus and a great way to relax they offer range of treatments but I did not undertake so cant comment
We had breakfast included and for the price it was excellent - considering other local hotels charge almost 3 times
best option is to book early as last minute can be pricey but we would be happy to return again and re already looking to book 2 more trips

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
liverpool
Reviewed 5 October 2013

stayed here on a friday night on an inclusive last minute deal my partner found on the internet. on arrival the staff were friendly and helpful and we went to our room it was lovely clean and cosy just what we were looking for. in the package you could pick a treatment at the hotel spa, i opted for the manicure and a lovely young lady called rowan done my nails and a lovely job she made of them. then we went to bucas resturant for our three cousre meal. there was plenty of choice on the set menu, or you could chose from the main menu and add the extra onto your drinks bill. we stuck to the set menu and were not dissapointed i had the anti pasta to start my partner had the calamari and both were beautiful followed by the lasagne for both of us again absolutely beautiful, then dessert i went for the tirrimasu and my partner the devils chocolate cake and both were delicious. after a good night sleep we went for a jacuzzi and quick swim before breakfast which was self service hot and cold and again beautiful. we paid £144 for this mini break and it was worth every penny we were both so relaxed after our little break. off to book another now! would recommend to everyone!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I didn't stay in the hotel, I only visited the spa and had lunch so unfortunately I cannot comment on the rooms. Before I begin my review, let me just say that all of the staff were very friendly, helpful and extremely nice.

The pool area was not as luxurious as the pictures or the description made it out to be. It was okay, but not amazing and quite busy when they let groups of children in. I paid almost £90 for a "head to toe" spa day. This only included an hour of treatments. I didn't get all of the treatments promised in the description of the spa day so I really feel like this was a bit of false advertising. I had even asked twice about getting the hot stone foot massage that was "included" and they said there wasn't enough time for that and would I just want a longer head massage? It wouldn't have bothered me so much, but the hot stone foot massage was the reason I bought this particular spa day. I opted for a short foot scrub and short head massage. Both were painful and not relaxing at all. The masseur ended up giving me a very short foot scrub which was so quick and painful it hurt for 2 days and left a mark on the top of my foot which was visible for 2 weeks.

The spa day also included a meal which was from the pub. The food was not very good but they had a nice selection of beer on tap.

Overall, I was disappointed and I left thinking I wasted my money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Bromborough hotels

Beverley,England
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Returning to home The Wirral for a family landmark anniversary put me in need of somewhere to stay for one night. For business trips I always used Premier Inn, and knew only too well the cost of a room plus the extra needed for breakfast. Booking early got me a room only for £59, with the nearest Premier Inn coming out at £85 room only.
There was no comparison! The room was on the second floor away from the main section and it was perfect. The bed was comfortable and the room itself seemed to have been recently refurbished. The check in was seemless although I arrived a good 1hr. before the check in time.
I will agree that the drinks seemed a little on the expensive side, but I was shielded from the full cost by virtue of being in possession of my membership card of the Village gym in my home town. This saved 20% on the drinks bill. The bar was dominated by the large wall mounted TV screen but we were not blasted out by high volume. I did not use the gym or pool whilst there, but did in the end stay for breakfast. Again I can only compare the £5.95 here, against the almost £8 at a Premier Inn as proving the better price and quality at the Village.
Staff great at all times even when under a great deal of stress due to a wedding party.
I would always reccomend this as a destination for a short stop over.

Room Tip: Upper floor and try and get one that does not overlook the rear due to the noise from the ventilatio...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bluetom
surrey
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We recently stayed at The Village, Bromborough. The breakfast was very good, gym and swimming pool was excellent and free. The entertainment Saturday and Sunday evening was the best I have seen in a hotel for ages. The only thing that let the hotel down was the rooms, they need a facelift and air conditionings a must, all they had in the room was a fan, not sufficient in the heat we have recently had.

Room Tip: Upperdeck rooms have air conditioning which is a must
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromborough
Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Leasowe Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Leasowe
Village Hotel Liverpool
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Village Hotel Wirral? Share your experiences!