“Good and Bad Points”

Village Hotel Wirral
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bromborough
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Average hotel with some good points but some flaws the management and designers might like to look at.
Firstly, when you arrive you have to walk through a cloud of smoke as all the smokers congregate outside the front door. This also creates the problem of smoke blowing into the hotel giving the whole ground floor a smell of cigarettes.
We had an upper-deck room but walking to the room meant walking down corridors that felt like the could do with some TLC. The bathroom was large and spacious and well decorated. There was a large shower was over the bath which was very nice. However, the shower screen was totally inadequate and the bathroom got wet when you used the shower. To make matters worse, the soap dispenser and controls were at the other end of the bath which meant walking on the slippy bath surface.
The bed was large and comfortable and although the TV was large, the picture quality was poor. The BOSE ipod player was a great bonus. The room was very hot and the window only opened about 2 inches. The air conditioning unit only went as low as 19 degrees and was very noisy. The tea and coffee contained a good selection and the bottled water was welcome. However, the wardrobe only had 4 coat hangers, no good if you're staying more than 1 night.
The swimming pool was totally unsupervised with loads of kids running around and jumping in despite the signs saying not to. The steam room and Jacuzzi were good but the whole spa area felt less than luxurious.
We didn't eat at the hotel but we did have one drink in the bar. The reason we only had one was because beer was £3.95 a pint and lager £3.45. £7.50 for two drinks is extortionate and, being on the ground floor, the bar smelt of cigarette smoke.
In all, a reasonable stay and if we were in the area we may stay again.

1  Thank Swiftsgreen
Write a ReviewReviews (1,897)

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights as we were attending the Vintage Weekend at Port Sunlight and were pleased to find the hotel is within easy walking distance to Port Sunlight village.

On arrival at the hotel we were warmly greeted by the receptionists and booked for an evenings entertainment Tribute act.

We ate dinner in the restaurant but it was not up to expectations for the price paid. Breakfast, however, was very good with a good choice. The dining room staff were all very friendly and efficient.

On arrival in our room in the afternoon we could clearly hear a hen party in the next room so asked to be moved and this was arranged. Pleased to say we didn't have any further disturbance but I do think the hotel needs to segregate hen party guests from other guests, drunken men are bad enough but drunken women are far worse!

The hotel is in a good location and has lots of facilities, highly recommend it and we will certainly be back next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lucyg48
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I spent 2 nights here in early October, and can see why this place is called The Village.
There's so much going on here, it can be quite busy when you step through the doors - there's a Spa/gym, a bar, a Starbucks, a restaurant, and the hotel itself - which also offers the standard conference and wedding/celebration packages too.

Despite all this going on, the trip through reception was swift and easy, the only downside being that they can't take a debit card for any food or extras on the room - just credit cards.
when I stayed there was a conference on at the same time, so the hotel was busy - and pretty much totally full, which is why I assume I ended up with a family room.

Not bad as far as space and comfort went for myself, but had I been travelling with my husband I would have been a bit annoyed at not having a proper double bed - what I got was 2 singles pushed together and made up as a double.
I was on my own though, and had a nice spacious room with a good dining table/working area, and a large sofa.
There's good wardrobe/hanging space, and plenty of drawers for clothing & storing general 'stuff'
The hotel has free wifi throughout, and I was getting a decent strength signal too.

There are a few other points that the hotel should have a look at improving though.

As i said, I was in a family room, but if I was staying with children I would not have been happy with the level of noise coming from the spin class in the gym - it was loud enough to be able to make out the instructors shouted instructions and the dance music that they were working out to, this went on till about 19:45 both evenings.
When I called down to reception they did offer to move me the following day, but there were no more rooms available that evening - not a problem for me when I was told the finish time for the class, but I wouldn't be wanting small children trying to sleep in there with that going on - better noise insulation please!

The TV was new, but the remote control was missing the battery cover, and there were definitely less channels than I've found in other hotels. Several that were available weren't particularly clear either. I also noticed that there were poorly filled screw holes in the top of the unit the TV was sat on.

And finally - there are almost no plug sockets!
In the room I stayed in, there was 1 plug socket available, really - 1!
This single socket had to be used for the kettle, the hairdryer, powering my laptop, and charging my mobile.
I assume the cleaners have to use this for the hoover too...
I looked behing the bed, the tables, the units - nothing!
Everything else electrical was wired direct into the walls - and this really was the only available plug socket.
Maybe other rooms have more?
but this one definitely didn't - which seems very strange given how reliant we are these days on being able to plug things in

I did have a really good nights sleep though, and that's the main thing.
The bathroom was also clean and functional, with decent waterpressure on the shower (the showerhead could have done with a bit of a descale if I'm honest, but it worked)

Breakfast was also hot and filling, there was plenty of choice, and the cooked food was tasty and hot. It does help if you're there first thing though I guess.

All in all - I'd stay here again, but there are a few things they need to work on.
This could be a really nice hotel, but these few niggles are just really letting it down.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the upper floors/away from the gym
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2013

pleasant location away from the hustle and bustle of LIverpool city but close enough to visit - just 10 mins away through Mersey tunnel. Almost opposite Port Sunlight model village/museum/art gallery which is well worth visiting. An Italian restaurant and pub on site both providing adequate food and Starbucks for coffee/cakes etc

Room Tip: upper deck room recommended
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed as a last minute booking after original hotel overbooked - wonderful - staff so helpful could not do enough for us - as only one night stay we wanted to check in as soon as possible and they were so understanding even though 3 hours before official check in time they located us a room
Rooms were fab so clean and everything you need on hand
Pool was bonus and a great way to relax they offer range of treatments but I did not undertake so cant comment
We had breakfast included and for the price it was excellent - considering other local hotels charge almost 3 times
best option is to book early as last minute can be pricey but we would be happy to return again and re already looking to book 2 more trips

Reviewed 5 October 2013

stayed here on a friday night on an inclusive last minute deal my partner found on the internet. on arrival the staff were friendly and helpful and we went to our room it was lovely clean and cosy just what we were looking for. in the package you could pick a treatment at the hotel spa, i opted for the manicure and a lovely young lady called rowan done my nails and a lovely job she made of them. then we went to bucas resturant for our three cousre meal. there was plenty of choice on the set menu, or you could chose from the main menu and add the extra onto your drinks bill. we stuck to the set menu and were not dissapointed i had the anti pasta to start my partner had the calamari and both were beautiful followed by the lasagne for both of us again absolutely beautiful, then dessert i went for the tirrimasu and my partner the devils chocolate cake and both were delicious. after a good night sleep we went for a jacuzzi and quick swim before breakfast which was self service hot and cold and again beautiful. we paid £144 for this mini break and it was worth every penny we were both so relaxed after our little break. off to book another now! would recommend to everyone!!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I didn't stay in the hotel, I only visited the spa and had lunch so unfortunately I cannot comment on the rooms. Before I begin my review, let me just say that all of the staff were very friendly, helpful and extremely nice.

The pool area was not as luxurious as the pictures or the description made it out to be. It was okay, but not amazing and quite busy when they let groups of children in. I paid almost £90 for a "head to toe" spa day. This only included an hour of treatments. I didn't get all of the treatments promised in the description of the spa day so I really feel like this was a bit of false advertising. I had even asked twice about getting the hot stone foot massage that was "included" and they said there wasn't enough time for that and would I just want a longer head massage? It wouldn't have bothered me so much, but the hot stone foot massage was the reason I bought this particular spa day. I opted for a short foot scrub and short head massage. Both were painful and not relaxing at all. The masseur ended up giving me a very short foot scrub which was so quick and painful it hurt for 2 days and left a mark on the top of my foot which was visible for 2 weeks.

The spa day also included a meal which was from the pub. The food was not very good but they had a nice selection of beer on tap.

Overall, I was disappointed and I left thinking I wasted my money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bromborough
Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Crowne Plaza Liverpool - John Lennon Airport
Riverhill Hotel
Riverhill Hotel
#2 of 3 in Birkenhead

Been to Village Hotel Wirral? Share your experiences!