“.....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Radcliffe B&B and Inns
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

this is our second stay at this hotel, first time it was nice and clean, second time it looked like it had not been cleaned. it had blood on the carpet, dirty floors, blood on the bed and other stuff(wont go into detail). I did not want to sleep in the bed the hotel was apparently full so we could not change the room.
It is ok for convineience. they were meant to be upgrading the b n b last year it is still the same the hotel is on a slant, I would only recommend it if you can't book anywere else.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Seif T, Owner at Hawthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
In reply to this review we wish first and foremost to assure our clients that we believe in the old values of the client is always right. We also do not like to write long needless essays. However there are situations where it is very important to bring out the facts as they are.
This review I wish to say is highly overstated and doesn’t reflect the true facts. There was no blood and other things in the bed. Definitely there was no blood on the carpet. Certainly nothing was brought to the management attention at any time at all. As for the hotel being on a slant we are not sure what that means. The hotel is definitely stands properly on the ground. The client had not asked to change the room at any time at all. A few days after the client had written this review she made a booking in the Hawthorn Hotel again for next year 2013 through a top internet booking site. That seemed to be a strange thing to do given the type of review she wrote about the Hawthorn Hotel. That booking for 2013 is now cancelled.
I should also advise that the client named David S who wrote the review under the title of enter at own risk on 20th August 2012 is her partner who shared the room with her during that visit. Both reviews are 1 month apart.
We do not like to differ with clients and we are not happy spending a lot of time on matters of this nature. We would prefer to spend our time focusing on the enhancement of our business. Finally we assure our clients of our sincere and serious endeavours to run the business in a manner that would keep our guests satisfied.
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
bury st edmunds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

I phoned the hotel in advance requesting a double room with WIFI. These were my only requests. The owner asked for extra money to have the double for sole use. I then emailed confirmation and he emailed back. On arrival I am challenged as he was expecting 2 persons. After 'faffing' around in his paper work for 10 minutes he then told me the delay was because I had not emailed my booking through! Then after several exchanges and the passing of WIFI codes I am shown the room. First impressions were ok. Then the fun started. Ater 2 minutes in the room a knock at the door .."can we have the other towels?" .. There was no WIFI in this room. Only a few rooms above the bar have WIFI. Despite the owner insisting that I try it was obvious it was not going to work. More 'faffing' around, taken to a twin room above the bar. WIFI worked. 30 minutes into arrival I eventually get a room with 50% of what I asked for. There is no apology, no offer of a refund for extra monies paid.
AT breakfast, the owner, who is also the concierge, the cook, and the receptionist ignores me at breakfast. Still no apology. After departure 2 emails are ignored, not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement.
Car park - if you find it resembles a war zone, skips and mud and refuse. Off a busy road, traffic will shake the walls. Bedroom fittings are as basic as they can be. Beds are hard, no comfort in mattress, no bedside lamps, Blackpool illuminations or nothing. Bathroom fittings just as bad. Flimsiest toilet seat I have ever had the misfortune to rest on.. it cannot last long .. complimentary 1" block of palmolive soap, out of wrapper, (one removed with towels!) Towels are so small I thought at first they had taken the large one and left me with two hand towels. Shower - a joke - hidden in the main bedroom is a power switch for shower - but no sign that tells you where it is. Once shower up and running, water not hot and feeble strength.
Finally, Breakfast. It comes quick, its constructed from the very cheapest ingredients, and it looks like its had radiation treatment. More flavour in my dogs chewing slipper.
This hotel is a joke. It does not have WIFI in all the rooms. It is not comfortable. You will get ripped off and the customer service if you have a problem is non-existent.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. BUYER BEWARE.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Radcliffe hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We travelled up from London to Manchester on new year's eve. Since it was a last minute plan, this was one of the only hotels available, which weren't charging extortionate amounts.

Reluctantly booked a quad room for the 4 of us, at £20 each we weren't expecting much. And that's what we got - not much! A few houses that have been converted into a basic b&b, that provide somewhere to sleep for the night. Yes it does have a slight smell and the decor is dated, but it is farily clean and at 2* be realistic and don't expect the Ritz!

The main thing that I think keeps this place going is the chap who runs it. He is warm, friendly and inviting. We got there late and literally wanted to freshen up and head straight into town. He kindly helped us get a good deal on a cab and checked us in with no fuss, showed us to our room and we were out of there within an hour. Being new years we arrived back in the early hours just for a few more hours kip and were on our way back to London.

I would personally only recommend this hotel if you're on a budget or are visiting people in Radcliffe. Although you get a tv and tea/coffee in the room and there's a basic bar and food area, after a night you'll probably start to feel a bit sick of the place. I found it hard to have a wash in the shower which seemed to spray barely any water out! There's not much to do in the area. Plus with a cab to the city centre setting you back £20 on a normal day, it's probably worth paying a little extra to get a more central location.

That aside, it did the job for us in everyway, and only because of the hospitable nature of the host, we would consider staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Room 8 is comfortable for a group of 4
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SuperSally69
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

Since we were visiting family in Radcliffe, this hotel was the most convenient location.

The rooms were basic but clean. There was a flat-screen TV and coffee maker, but no phone. However, the staff let me use the house phone to place a call. The decor in our room was "frilly" with lace curtains and bedspread. My only real complaint with the accomodations was that the bathroom needed a good once-over and the toilet didn't work particularly well. But it is an old property that probably hasn't been renovated in quite some time, so that can be expected.

The breakfast was quite good. We ordered the Full English and it was rather filling and tasty. There is also a small bar/lounge area with televisions and newspapers available.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The gentleman who checked us in walked us to our room and offered to help with our bags. Since there was no phone in the room, he also let me use the house phone to call my relatives.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HillPill
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

My pal and I stayed in Room 6 for the night for our trip to Manchester to see Roger Waters. Our host was enthusiastic and friendly and did everything to ensure we enjoyed our stay. The room appeared to have been recently renovated and was clean and well appointed. The en-suite was fresh and clean, the bed and bed linen comfy and clean. We had a TV and plenty of cupboard/hanging space and we had tea/coffee making facilities. The bar downstairs was a plus and the proprietor was happy to organise a taxi for us to get into the city. We would be happy to return to the Hawthorn, either for another pals night out or with our respective other halfs. The hotel is out of town and I am sure our host would agree that one would not visit Radcliffe for the surroundings, but, as a taxi will take you anywhere you want to go, why not go out of town a bit for a friendly face and a bit of banter with an interesting guy.

Room Tip: Ask for the soothing violet hues of room 6
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank asav7
corby
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2011

met by a friendly chap who gave us the keys to the dog end room, we even booked breakfast before we saw rooms.. the room we stayed at was featured on tv,s life of grime .on the plus side it was near metro station breakfast was not good but i have had worse

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank derekm1966
Limekilns
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hawthorn for a couple of nights while visiting Manchester. We were given a warm welcome from the owner and shown to our room. He apologised to us about the mess in the corridors as the place was undergoing refurbishment and by evening you wouldn't have known the workmen had been in. Our room was clean and comfortable which we regard as important. The staff were very friendly and gave us good advice on using public transport into Manchester City centre rather than taking the car in. The breakfast was excellent in a pleasant dining room. We would recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JockMeldrum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radcliffe
BEST WESTERN Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester (Prestwich) Hotel
Premier Inn Manchester Bury Hotel
Red Hall Hotel
Red Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walmersley
Holiday Inn Express Manchester CC-Oxford Road
Village Hotel Manchester Bury

Been to Hawthorn Hotel? Share your experiences!