“ENTER AT OWN RISK”

Ranked #1 of 1 Radcliffe B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“ENTER AT OWN RISK”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

i have stayed at this hotel on 2 seperate occasions in the last 6months, my 1st stay was ok, bog standard for the money paid but convenient for where i was going, however, my 2nd stay at this hotel was completely different, first of all i was left ringing the dor bell for ten minutes in the rain before i was greeted by the hotel owner, not a very friendly greeting i may add, i was then shown to a very dirty run down undecorated room that i was expected to sleep in, the sheets smelled mouldy there was hair all over the headboard the shower had soap scum that was welded to the walls and door and the toilet seat didnt go up/down without causing an accident (if you know what i mean), i proceeded to go downstairs to the manager to ask for a change of rooms as i was going down the stairs i could hear the man that had greeted me earlier shouting and behaving in a disrespectful manner towards his staff( i wouldnt even shout at my dog like that), i asked for a different room and was told i would have to pay the extra, i was appalled at this as i think i had paid over what any room in this hotel was worth, after a very noisy disturbed sleep in a lumpy bed with barely any pillows i went down to get breakfast i was served by a very nice member of staff but the breakfast was tasteless and no option at all it was basic as it comes and the ingredients left out for all to see, SMARTPRICE, as i was at the kitchen finding someone to check out with as no one at reception i was again greeted by the same old grumpy man shouting and grunting because i needed to check out while breakfast was on during which i could overhear guests in the dining room saying they were homeless and been in the hotel for 6 months, i think the spelling of this hotel is wrong, hawthorn hotel??? more like hawthorn HOSTEL!!!!!!

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank david s
Seif T, Owner at Hawthorn Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
In reply to this review we wish to underline our respect to all our clients and our serious and sincere commitment to provide the highest quality of service. It is also important to us to bring out the facts as they are. The client who wrote this review is the partner of the client emmajayne2007 who wrote the review of 23rd July 2012. He shared the room with her and his review came one month later. As for the contents of the review suffice to say please look up Late Rooms or Booking.com reviews on the hotel over a period of 8 years in office you will find a true picture of our standards. You will also find that in the booking.com reviews of the hotel that the highest marks are given to staff performance. The same with Late Rooms you will find that Customer Service section has the highest grading. This is clearly a sign of happy staff. Surely unhappy staff will not perform well. We look after our staff members very well and treat them fairly because without them we can never run our business.
We are not happy being drawn into this situation and we do not like to be seen differing with clients but it is important for us to clarify the situation.
We again assure all our clients of our best attention at all times.
The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed one night only 28/07/12 for the first time. I awarded the overall stars in line with features a hotel should have given I was on a budget and was going to spend the majority of time out.

1. Value for money - Booked the hotel room two days prior to visit well within my budget
2. Customer focus - Friendly owner checked me in and out, also cooked my FAB breakfast.
3. Clean - Room and linen were spotless along with the with hotel's communal areas.
4. Flexibility - didn't get back till "stupid o'clock" easily got back in with hotel's keys provided.
5. Quiet - great night's sleep and the shower had enough "wake up power" for me in the morning.

Room Tip: Had a room on first floor facing out to the main road on a hill so on the face of it would be nois...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank John140357
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We needed somewhere to stay for the saturday night and this hotel had been suggested by a friend. It was cheap and cheerful and we were greeted by the owner who was friendly and very helpful. The hotel has been undergoing refurbishment and we were in one of the recently done rooms as everything was clean and fresh with LCD freeview tv on the wall, tea and coffee making facilities and an adequate sized en suite shower room. The room was clean and well presented. Breakfast was not included in the room price but was offered for a nominal fee which was excellent as plenty on the plate and the lady serving was very accommodating, making sure we left with full bellies for our return journey home. We would have no problem staying there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Meg R
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I frequently stayed at the Hawthorn Hotel for over 3 months, during this time I found the staff and management very friendly and helpful, no job was too big for them. The rooms I stayed in were all of very good standard of clealiness and comfort. All equipped with LCD TV's and that's all I needed. Breakfast was excellent with different variety of cereal and a large choice of fresh juices. The cooked breakfast was fresh and sumpteous. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Any of them
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Hefen H
bury st edmunds
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I phoned the hotel in advance requesting a double room with WIFI. These were my only requests. The owner asked for extra money to have the double for sole use. I then emailed confirmation and he emailed back. On arrival I am challenged as he was expecting 2 persons. After 'faffing' around in his paper work for 10 minutes he then told me the delay was because I had not emailed my booking through! Then after several exchanges and the passing of WIFI codes I am shown the room. First impressions were ok. Then the fun started. Ater 2 minutes in the room a knock at the door .."can we have the other towels?" .. There was no WIFI in this room. Only a few rooms above the bar have WIFI. Despite the owner insisting that I try it was obvious it was not going to work. More 'faffing' around, taken to a twin room above the bar. WIFI worked. 30 minutes into arrival I eventually get a room with 50% of what I asked for. There is no apology, no offer of a refund for extra monies paid.
AT breakfast, the owner, who is also the concierge, the cook, and the receptionist ignores me at breakfast. Still no apology. After departure 2 emails are ignored, not even the courtesy of an acknowledgement.
Car park - if you find it resembles a war zone, skips and mud and refuse. Off a busy road, traffic will shake the walls. Bedroom fittings are as basic as they can be. Beds are hard, no comfort in mattress, no bedside lamps, Blackpool illuminations or nothing. Bathroom fittings just as bad. Flimsiest toilet seat I have ever had the misfortune to rest on.. it cannot last long .. complimentary 1" block of palmolive soap, out of wrapper, (one removed with towels!) Towels are so small I thought at first they had taken the large one and left me with two hand towels. Shower - a joke - hidden in the main bedroom is a power switch for shower - but no sign that tells you where it is. Once shower up and running, water not hot and feeble strength.
Finally, Breakfast. It comes quick, its constructed from the very cheapest ingredients, and it looks like its had radiation treatment. More flavour in my dogs chewing slipper.
This hotel is a joke. It does not have WIFI in all the rooms. It is not comfortable. You will get ripped off and the customer service if you have a problem is non-existent.
AVOID AT ALL COSTS. BUYER BEWARE.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Radcliffe hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We travelled up from London to Manchester on new year's eve. Since it was a last minute plan, this was one of the only hotels available, which weren't charging extortionate amounts.

Reluctantly booked a quad room for the 4 of us, at £20 each we weren't expecting much. And that's what we got - not much! A few houses that have been converted into a basic b&b, that provide somewhere to sleep for the night. Yes it does have a slight smell and the decor is dated, but it is farily clean and at 2* be realistic and don't expect the Ritz!

The main thing that I think keeps this place going is the chap who runs it. He is warm, friendly and inviting. We got there late and literally wanted to freshen up and head straight into town. He kindly helped us get a good deal on a cab and checked us in with no fuss, showed us to our room and we were out of there within an hour. Being new years we arrived back in the early hours just for a few more hours kip and were on our way back to London.

I would personally only recommend this hotel if you're on a budget or are visiting people in Radcliffe. Although you get a tv and tea/coffee in the room and there's a basic bar and food area, after a night you'll probably start to feel a bit sick of the place. I found it hard to have a wash in the shower which seemed to spray barely any water out! There's not much to do in the area. Plus with a cab to the city centre setting you back £20 on a normal day, it's probably worth paying a little extra to get a more central location.

That aside, it did the job for us in everyway, and only because of the hospitable nature of the host, we would consider staying here in the future.

Room Tip: Room 8 is comfortable for a group of 4
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SuperSally69
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Since we were visiting family in Radcliffe, this hotel was the most convenient location.

The rooms were basic but clean. There was a flat-screen TV and coffee maker, but no phone. However, the staff let me use the house phone to place a call. The decor in our room was "frilly" with lace curtains and bedspread. My only real complaint with the accomodations was that the bathroom needed a good once-over and the toilet didn't work particularly well. But it is an old property that probably hasn't been renovated in quite some time, so that can be expected.

The breakfast was quite good. We ordered the Full English and it was rather filling and tasty. There is also a small bar/lounge area with televisions and newspapers available.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The gentleman who checked us in walked us to our room and offered to help with our bags. Since there was no phone in the room, he also let me use the house phone to call my relatives.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank HillPill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Radcliffe
Premier Inn Manchester (Heaton Park) Hotel
Red Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walmersley
Best Western Manchester Bury Bolholt Country Park Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury

Been to Hawthorn Hotel? Share your experiences!