“Eat out...”
Review of The White House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Old Windsor
The White House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Wales
“Eat out...”
Reviewed 10 December 2009

Booking for five people, rooms for four. Not a good start. However, my room was lovely and huge and overlooked extensive gardens. The room and bathroom were the best bit (other reviewers comments re loo cleaning I suspect are due to the loos' rather strange flat panned design!). We were shunted to White House after Oakley Court closed all its leisure facilities at v. short notice. Again from other reviews it seems the Hayley group is very good at selling you one place and putting you in another that isn't quite so luxurious. The real down point was dinner in the Tempus bistro - don't bother. Loud music, massive telly screen with footie beneath which our reserved table - the rest of the place was near empty! - sat. Atmosphere: zilch. They were unable to switch it off or turn music down as 'company policy' forbade it, even though we were the only people in there after first half hour. Tibor on reception was sweet, but other levels of service were not good and certainly not four star.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Stayed at the White House for 4 nights and overall where quite pleased. However, some details need attention (we think).
The Bathroom:
- no toiletbrush
- nowhere to dry your towels if feeling 'green' to re-use, so new towels everyday.
- coldwater tap came off in hand nearly breaking the bowl. informed reception but alas.
+ great shower
+ plenty of room
The Room:
- 2 types of sockets?? My adaptor only has the 3 flat thingies not a round one.
- Sockets oddly located. had to put kettle on floor
+ nice and big
+ great beds
+ quiet (well, room 20 & 27)
Breakfast:
++ Great
- Staff limited English but very keen
Location:
++ Lovely
Reception:
++ Friendly and helpfull.
- No reception after 22.00 which means anyone can, and did, wonder in from Beaumont or outside
General:
Limit access from/to Beaumont with keycards/codes
Access to White House maindoor after 22.00 with keycards/code/doorbel
Advanced English for some of the staff

Would we stay again? oh yes. Just get some of the basic details right and the experience will be even better.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
Westcliff on Sea
Reviewed 20 August 2009

I originally booked the Oakley Court Hotel for this trip and received a phone call a few days before saying we could no longer go as "some of the rooms are flooded". I think "flooded" is probably a euphemism for overbooked but hey-ho. I was offered a room at the Beaumont Estate and said I would have a look on tripadvisor before agreeing. I'm glad I checked as the reviews for the Beaumont part of the hotel are awful. In the end I agreed to go on the condition we had a room in the White House. On arrival, initial impressions are good. The grounds are beautiful and extensive and the White House is nice from the outside. Inside the decor is nice, but doesn't suit the style of the building. Shame about the Recepionist, who though helpful was frosty to say the least. Our room was small but comfortable with a nice bathroom- let down by skidmarks in the toilet: considering the maid had bothered to fold the end of the toilet roll into a triangle, you would have thought she would also have cleaned the loo! We did have a complimentary bottle of champagne and bottle of wine in the room, which was nice and went a little way to offsetting the disappointment of not being able to stay at our first choice of hotel. Early evening we used the hotel swimming pool which was nice and the water was nice and warm. Afterwards, we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. For me this was the worst part of the trip. The restaurant is in the main part of the hotel and is very busy. We arrived 10 mins before our booking and there was no table ready for us. Fair enough perhaps. Things got worse though, as we had to ask three times for a jug of water and were eventually told they had run out of jugs so here is a complimentary bottle of mineral water (there were about eight water jugs dotted about on as yet uncleared tables, which we thought rather amusing). The food would have been nice had it been hot (or even warm). Usual hotel restaurant prices but more like the service and food you would expect from butlins than a 4* hotel. I did get a good nights sleep- the bed was very comfortable indeed. our room had a nice balcony but i don't think any of the others do. tea and coffee facilities in the room are average. Breakfast in the morning was ok but cold. Service was poor- the waitress took a disliking to my friend for some reason and would not speak to him. We didn't bother to complain as we wanted to check out quickly and enjoy the rest of our short break. I would stay here again if there was a special offer but it's certainly not worth paying any more than about £120 per night as you could get somewhere better for the money.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Seoul
Reviewed 19 August 2009

The White House is well appointed; a beautiful building set in beautiful gardens. Unfortunately, the beauty is pretty much limited to initial impressions. We left feeling that just a little more effort could have made it a special and exclusive sojourn.

This hotel was, at one time, a school, and my feeling was that, even now, it lends itself better to the amenities demanded by a school more than that of a hotel. The grounds are extensive (ideal for PE), our executive suite was small (ideal for a couple of kid's bunk beds), the dining hall was large with a very low ceiling (ideal for school lunches).
Our "executive" room was sufficient for a single night's accommodation, but no bigger than those routinely offered by Travelodge. Curiously, the room had three external doors -two of which were sealed shut and evidently redundant. On a more displeasing note, the staff had omitted to clean the fecal stains of the previous guest from the toilet bowl.

Overall, the staff appeared fairly oblivious to the concept of quality service.

The receptionist greeted and dealt with us in a luke warm manner. Another staff member let himself into our room, unannounced, and laid another guest's freshly laundered shirt on our bed as we sat and watched from the balcony, perplexed.
The breakfast waitress only invited orders from one of the two guests at our table and appeared confused when re-summoned to take the other guest's order.

Overall, a pleasant and adequate night's accomodation let down by silly issues that leave guests wondering if they could do a better job themselves, especially at the customer service end of things.

PS) The swimming is lovely and warm
PPS) The bed was very comfortable and we made the most of it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Old Windsor hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2009

I stayed in the White House part of the hotel conglomeration that is Beaumont House for 2 nights as part of a very large high profile conference.

The buildings are awesome - beautifully kept and full of history.

I was to be in the White House (I had a receipt saying so) and 10 days previously I e-mailed the hotel and explained I was temporarily quite disabled and asked for a room close to the conference venue (I had heard some rooms were a long way away) with flat access to my room by corridor or lift but no stairs.
I received a reply saying all would be fine.

On arrival I was dropped by colleagues at the White House foyer and they drove away to the Beaumont House part.
First shock : the receptionist told me the check in for our entire delegation (500 people?) was in Beaumont House but she said I could leave my case at the White House.

The corridor route I was shown had 2 quite steep staircases (although they had little stairlifts, I am not in a wheelchair) and it took me 10 minutes to walk.

On check in I was told I was in Beaumont House annexe a considerable walk away across the grounds.
By this time I was pretty fed up and tired. I said this was unacceptable and asked for a move - also explaining that my luggage was in the White House and there was no way I could cart it about.

My disability looks somewhat obvious and a young man said I could have a room in the White House Sanatorium, upgraded at no extra cost - which was very nice of him. There are no lifts in the White House itself due to its listing status. The Sanatorium is the White House annexe but attached and with a lift.
I tracked all the way back along the corridor......found my room to which access was easy, only to find it had 2 very high windows and I could not see out at all. Great for someone with claustrophobia (I'm not normally such a moaner!)

Well it was only for 2 nts so it would have to do although opening the windows in the stifling heat proved difficult.

The decor was brown and lime green - utterly vile!

The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in - but I had to remove cushions and little bolsters and a heavy runner to get in it!

The bathroom was fine, bath & shower excellent, heaps of fluffy white towels.

After talking to colleagues who had been billeted 15 minutes walk away across the grounds I decided I had been lucky despite the 2 sets of stairs I had to go up/down to get to/from the conference itself.

The White House was very quiet (apart from the planes which would drive me mad if I lived in the area!) but best of all was the private dining room for breakfast with the French doors open to magnificent grounds and classical music playing. Fabulous.

The range of breakfast foods was superb - I do like smoked salmon, mortadella and scrambled eggs with Earl Grey tea.
My colleagues were all in long queues at the breakfast buffet in Beaumont House where apparently foodlines kept running out and smoked salmon was nowhere to be seen.

Many of my colleagues also had room problems, two couples were given single rooms and one couple were given a single disabled room (which would probably have been fine for me but I stuck with my upgraded cell in lovely White House!)

It all resolved itself eventually and I have to say I thought the venue was superb for a conference, the staff were excellent, there was adequate space for everyone to sit in comfort and the outdoor seating area was nice but needed more seats out there in the recent hot weather spell.

I am told the grounds were magnifient, I did manage to do a few short walks for exercise and I thought it was lovely.

I did use the Leisure Club and thought the swimming pool & changing facilities were first class.

Would I stay there again if in the area? Yes, definitely.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank EPD
London
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I know this is long, but please read! Don't make the same mistake as us.

The White House is attached to a much larger hotel with 300+ rooms which is aimed at conferences. Don't be fooled by the pictures! It's so large and corporate that it feels sterile and soulless. Such a shame for such a beautiful building. Oddly, when we checked in to The White House, we were given a room in the other hotel, which I was assured was exactly the same as what we'd have in The White House. Here's a summary:

- Hotel was difficult to find, as The White House is not signposted, only Beaumont House
- Disappointed by the room, didn't seem like a deluxe double
- Disappointed by the pool, rectangular and boring with no jacuzi, sauna or steam room
- Found out that our room didn't have room service, free wifi and use of the private dining room, which The White House guests do
- I asked to speak to the manager who was rude and accused me of booking the wrong hotel. This was cleared up by showing my booking confirmation. Eventually we moved to The White House, but only because another couple refused to stay and demanded a refund!
- Staff around the hotel were mostly unhelpful
40 acres of land are mostly inaccessible and the back of Beaumont House is newly built and pretty ugly. Looks like a Traveoldge.
- We had to wait 30 minutes for a table for breakfast, then we had to wait for plates, then we had to wait for the food to be replenished!

I'm not usually one to complain but almost everything was a disappointment, apart from one helpful member of staff, Tibor. When we moved rooms, we did actually receive a bottle of champagne for our troubles, which was nice. However, we spoke to several other people staying at the hotel and nobody had a great stay. Two people, completely separately compared it to a Travelodge. We also noticed lots of guests with bemused looks on their faces and lots of shrugging at one another, totally confused by how the place is run.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WillThomson
norfolk
Reviewed 26 May 2009

This was a long weekend away.our suite was amazing..The lovely Merisa on white house reception should win a award for her service ..it was second to none...FANTASTIC Member of staff to promote the Business..
I WILL RETURN FOR SURE...And pass on recomendation in the meentime to people that we do business with.

Thankyou for a wonderfull weekend & Thankyou to Marisa..

Mr & Mrs Austin

#2 of 18 in Windsor
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Been to The White House? Share your experiences!