“Welcoming and very friendly!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Union Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Union Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Old Windsor B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Welcoming and very friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

The Union Inn is ideally placed for tourist attractions, but I stayed on business with two colleagues, the rooms were nicely presented, good linen, excellent power shower! Comfortable bed, all amenities etc. We did not eat in the evening as we were attending a meeting elsewhere, but the menu looked interesting with reasonable rates. Our breakfast, freshly cooked to order was exactly as we requested. I am very funny about how my eggs should be cooked and they were cooked just how I wanted. Good quality food that is apparently purchased from a farm shop, gave us an excellent start to the day. This is my second visit here and I think they offer good quality at a very reasonable cost. I recommend it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WTOtraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Finnish first
Barcelona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have just reurned from a short stay at the Union Inn in Windsor. We had a lovely time there. The staff were really helpful and the food was very good. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable.
I would recommend a stay at the Union Inn for anyone wanting to see around the Windsor area as it provides an excellent place to stay, in close proximity to the fantastic sights, but at an affordable price.
We hope to return again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank asloan08
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

My wife and I started using The Union in the summer of 2011. When we first went, we were greeted by the staff who made us feel welcome as if we were one of the locals, and indeed the locals do speak to you as if they have known you for ages.
The food is excellent, maybe not what the website menu shows, but Dom the new owner is trying to sort this out as he inherited it when he took the pub over.
I would recommend this establishment whether it be for a family gathering, a romantic meal, or just a drink at the bar.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billandfoxy
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Caveat: as I didn't stay here I put 3 for ratings which I can't comment on; all fields are required in order for me to review.

Tried booking here this morning but sadly couldn't get past the shocking service.
My story:
1-sent email enquiring about availability yesterday.Wasn't answered.Was told on phone there was an issue with their internet.
2-called around 1030 this morning and got through to the kitchen, was told 'call back in half an hour.'
3-called back at 1130 - rather abrupt reply, person who answered couldn't tell me if they had availability and said they would call back.
4-half an hour later after no returned call, I called back. Now I was told via a barked 'call back in 2 minutes.'
5-I booked Hotel du Vin in Brighton instead.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NPSSurrey
Bridlington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed at the Union Inn in October arriving at around 6:00. We rang the bell twice but then had to find someone to book us in. I'd booked online and discovered I'd been charged £20 extra to book online. Had I presumably booked over the phone I'd have paid the rate that was advertised on the website.

I'd questioned this over the phone on the day I booked and the girl who answered told me she'd talk to her boss and ring me back. She didn't ring back so the next day I rang again and spoke to Andy. Andy told me Mandy (who was in charge) was on holiday but would ring me as soon as she got back. I told him we were leaving on Thursday so could she ring back before then.

Mandy didn't ring back and I was too busy to ring the hotel. The manager insisted that Mandy would have left a message on the answer phone even though I told him she hadn't and I think this was what caused me to lose it with him when we got to the hotel,

The manager and I ended up having a very heated debate over this "over charging" and the fact that Mandy had not left a message on the answer phone but, eventually he (reluctantly) agreed to knock something off our evening meal bill which he did.

When it came to ordering our evening meal I was really looking forward to the specials on the menu which is still online on the Union Inn's website. This menu didn't exist in reality.

What did exist was a much simpled shortened menu so instead of having Stir Fry Duck Breast with Sesame Noodles and Pak Choi, I ended up with a bog standard and grim chicken curry from the bar menu. To be fair my husband enjoyed his chicken breast on a bed of potatoes with veg. Veg came as a £2.50 extra.

The manager was still hovering when he handed us the menu and when he saw my face said "what now?". When I pointed out that it wasn't the menu on his website he told us he'd only just taken over the hotel...........

The room was as pictured and as expected except for the noisy fan/extractor from the bar or kitchens below which turned on and off through the night. The shower in the en-suite was excellant and there were two small phials of shampoo and two of shower gel but it would have been nice to have had some soap to wash our hands with!

Breakfast was good but came as standard. I would however have preferred to butter my own bread (or not) when I had the prawn and mango cocktail in the evening and when the toast was served on the plate with the cooked breakfast.

There was a large plate of different jams on the bar counter but I've no idea when jam would ever be used.

The staff were pleasant and had I not realised the difference in charges for the stay I might not have fallen out with the manager but, inspite of that I shall not be staying there again.

Oh, and when we got home there was still no message from Mandy on the answerphone.

The manager said he was seeing the people who sort out his website on the Monday after our visit. Perhaps he'll get them take off the old menus and put on the new (bog standard) menus and make sure his prices tally!

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the extractor fans!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Marilyn D
Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

After a 22.00 landing at Heathrow, the prospect of a 3 hour drive home or an airport hotel stay seemed equally unpalatable, so this B&B above a pub 20 minute away was ideal, well away from the airport but reasonably easy to find.

The hotel area is clearly new, with clever corridor lighting activated by footfall, basic but well modernised rooms with neutral decor and excellent bathrooms. They offer excellent value for money. Staff are friendly and helpful.

The one negative appears to be maintenance: in my room, the television was "on the blink", I had to borrow a remote from the pub and in the morning the shower was not working and I had to go to another room to use the shower.

An individually cooked full English breakfast was included in the price, which made for very good value, and rounded off my stay very satisfactorily.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank wellensian
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

We booked three double rooms and two single rooms at the Union Inn for a Saturday night stayover. All of the rooms were clean, modern and well equipped - the showers were particularly good.
Eight of us ate in the restaurant , at short notice, on the Saturday night and the food was very good. The full English breakfast was also great and our three extra guests for breakfast on Sunday morning were warmly welcomed .

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to The Union Inn? Share your experiences!