It is clear we attended the same major function as ‘pompeybrian’ and would like to endorse his sentiments about the standard of ‘Deluxe Rooms’, which also seemed to apply to our ‘Double Superior Room’ - with particular regard to the siting of the toilet roll holder and the need to remove the ironing board from the ‘economy-sized’ wardrobe. Clearly, the rooms are designed to suit Heathrow stop-over passengers, rather than those on a more leisurely break! Principal Hotels should make a point of Management, personally experiencing all rooms, before approving them for public use – the majority of good B & B owners wouldn’t dream of doing less.
On Friday evening, at the formal dinner, the mini mountain of profiteroles, appeared to be held together (or apart) by a brown ‘grouting’, rather than an abundance of chocolate sauce. This caused us to opt for the fresh fruit salad – not necessarily a wise choice - it’s been a prolific year for apples ! ! ! Breakfast, although manic, due to the numbers involved, wasn’t bad, as far as mass catering goes and improved considerably as the numbers diminished - by Monday morning it was pretty good.
The Fox and Castle, situated a few hundred yards further up Burfield Road, provided a very hospitable welcome and equally enjoyable ‘home cooked’ food, to a very high standard and an excellent selection of real ales. Although busy - it was a Saturday evening after all - the food ‘knocked-spots-off’ the night before and was even more appreciated as a result.
Having stayed from Friday through to Monday morning, we can categorically say how caring, efficient and kind the young members of staff were. They could not have been more helpful - the booking/reception staff, from a year or more ago, through to the housekeepers, they were all a credit to Principal Hotels. Hopefully (tongue-in-cheek) they are remunerated accordingly!
It was apparent that providing a three-course formal dinner, for 500 diners, was a ‘step too far’! Maybe a buffet style meal would have been more practical but clearly a hot main course was too much. In fact it could have been dangerous – pressed belly of pork – poorly cooked and standing getting cold or insufficiently reheated – a gamble with public health! The thyme-roasted vegetables were even more ‘tired’ than most of us, on Saturday morning. Having said that, a few tables thoroughly enjoyed their dinner – maybe consistency would at least be a partial solution.
A brilliant time to visit, especially if you discover the reduced weekend car parking charge or even free parking at York House Council Offices on the Sunday. The atmosphere, the Christmas street decorations, the local people, St George’s Chapel Advent Service and the Castle, with highly informative Staff and Wardens, were all a delight and should not be missed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In picturesque Windsor, lies the historic and unique Beaumont Estate: an inspirational estate offering a luxurious family hotel, a stunning wedding location, along with being a leading conference venue, all set in spectacular and extensive grounds with 414 bedrooms. Our leisure facilities include an indoor swimming pool and gym, along with squash and tennis courts open to all of our guests aged 2-12. During the holidays, The Beaumont Bears Club offers a wide range of facilities ideal for helping to keep the kids entertained; a movie room, indoor activity room, outdoor adventure play area, and much more. The Restaurant offers an extensive buffet or A La Carte Menu and we also have the Tempus Bar & Grill which is open daily from 12pm offering a more casual dining experience. Located just 3 miles from Windsor Castle with Wentworth, Legoland, Thorpe Park and Ascot all under 15 minutes away. The M25, M4 and M3 motorways are within easy reach, London can be accessed by train within 20 minutes with the nearest train station is 5 minutes away. Heathrow Airport is only 15 minutes away by car, Gatwick Airport can also reached within 40 minutes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Odigeo so you can book your De Vere Beaumont Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaumont House Hotel Old Windsor
- Beaumont Hotel Old Windsor
- Beaumont House Windsor
- De Vere Beaumont Estate Old Windsor, Berkshire