“For a large gathering they did very well” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Beaumont Estate

De Vere Beaumont Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Hampshire
“For a large gathering they did very well”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We and 400 others went for a Reunion Dinner and the staff did amazingly well especially Cleopatra, an agency waitress, who was outstanding. She looked after every need and helped other members of staff in a quiet helpful way.The food was good considering there were so many guests to cater for. Our room happened to be fitted for a disabled person and so we missed having a tall wardrobe for our coats. I asked for housekeeping to bring coat hangers but nobody came. The sink was very low and the shower had a seat in and wasn't all that satisfactory, and longer than one night under these circumstances would not have been enjoyable.However, he management gave us £30 off the room (normally £105) which was very fair, as we had not been warned about being allocated that particular room. Breakfast buffet was varied and plentiful. Some guests might mind sharing tables with others but it suited our large party and was probably laid out for us. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and there are lovely grounds to walk round too. This hotel could have easily been marked as a 'very good' with only a few tweaks. Staff in general were friendly and courteous.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us in our Hotel.

As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of quality, service and Customer care to all our guests. In was however a little disappointed that your allocated room didn’t meet with your needs but I was delighted this was all sorted out to your satisfaction.

I thank you for all you kind comments regarding our staff, we always share our guest feedback with our staff on a regular basis.

I hope you get the opportunity to return to us again in the future and I hope you had a lovely time at your re-union dinner

Kim Norris- Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
  • Hebrew first
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was put here by British Airways during a problem with my flight. I should have stayed at the terminal and slept there. This hotel is past its prime. The room i was given was dirty, the trashbin in the bathroom was rusty(!!), the bed was horrible. I got somekind of buffet for dinner, and i suspect that food had been kept warm - if not for days, atleast for the better part of the day. Disgusting. I would NEVER go back here. I do feel sorry for the great staff though, they were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jpr78
Thank you for leaving you feedback on our Hotel here on Tripadvisor.

I was extremely disappointed to read your comments on here and that your experience with us wasn’t a positive one, I hope you contacted our Duty Manager while you stayed with us and pointed out the problems you experienced with your room and that they were solved immediately for you.

I can only apologise that our Restaurant buffet wasn’t to your taste, but I can assure you that our food isn’t kept heated for days as you intimated, it is changed on a regular basis.

Thank you for your lovely comments on our wonderful staff, we pride ourselves on what a great team we have here at Beaumont Estate.

Travellers are raving about these Old Windsor hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

This is a place I would never go back to.
I was here for 3 nights to attend a training and I couldn't wait leaving the hotel.
The food was horrible, not many options and completely tasteless.
Both in my room and in the training room was freezing.
Young staff, always in a hurry, not too willing to help and not trained and prepared.
Way too many things to improve!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for leaving you feedback on our Hotel here on Tripadvisor.

I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are most certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Beaumont Estate.

I have passed your comments about the food to our Food and Beverage Manager to look into. I can assure you we take seriously any feedback left here on Tripadvisor and act accordingly.

The heating in both your bedroom and your meeting room could have been solved by notifying reception and heaters could have bought to you to run along side the heating system in the Hotel.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your feedback and I apologise again that or Hotel didn’t meet with your expectations

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a conference. The food was disgusting. Spicy Pea and mint soup was followed by completely tasteless chicken and finished off with chocolate fondant which had stuck to the plate.

A colleague had "creme caramel" and complained that it had sugary jelly rather than a crispy top. When she complained to the waitress, she was expecting her to say " madam, I'll raise it with the chef". Instead, she took one look at it and said "there are all like that".

I can't complain about the service - there wasn't any!

My bedroom was nice - on two levels in the old school building. (Cue response from Olav starting "I'm delighted you thought the room was nice...")

I've now read the comments from a number of other respondents on here and it would be nice if the managers would take action to improve the quality of food. I suspect they won't but I don't care - I won't be staying here again!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments on our hotel following a recent stay with us.

I deeply regret that we clearly failed to meet your expectations in our restaurant when you stayed with us here at Beaumont Estate during a conference. I have passed your feedback onto our Food and Beverage Manager to look into where you felt our Food and staff failed to meet with our normally very high standards.

I was also disappointed that you didn’t think we offered a good service, we at Beaumont Estate continually aim to uphold high standards of Service to all of our guests. I sincerely apologise that you didn’t think this was the case.

I can assure you that all feedback is taken and used to improve our Service, especially where guest feels we are lacking in some areas.

Thank you again for taking time to write a review.

Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Accommodation
It is clear we attended the same major function as ‘pompeybrian’ and would like to endorse his sentiments about the standard of ‘Deluxe Rooms’, which also seemed to apply to our ‘Double Superior Room’ - with particular regard to the siting of the toilet roll holder and the need to remove the ironing board from the ‘economy-sized’ wardrobe. Clearly, the rooms are designed to suit Heathrow stop-over passengers, rather than those on a more leisurely break! Principal Hotels should make a point of Management, personally experiencing all rooms, before approving them for public use – the majority of good B & B owners wouldn’t dream of doing less.

On Friday evening, at the formal dinner, the mini mountain of profiteroles, appeared to be held together (or apart) by a brown ‘grouting’, rather than an abundance of chocolate sauce. This caused us to opt for the fresh fruit salad – not necessarily a wise choice - it’s been a prolific year for apples ! ! ! Breakfast, although manic, due to the numbers involved, wasn’t bad, as far as mass catering goes and improved considerably as the numbers diminished - by Monday morning it was pretty good.

Local alternatives
The Fox and Castle, situated a few hundred yards further up Burfield Road, provided a very hospitable welcome and equally enjoyable ‘home cooked’ food, to a very high standard and an excellent selection of real ales. Although busy - it was a Saturday evening after all - the food ‘knocked-spots-off’ the night before and was even more appreciated as a result.

Staff
Having stayed from Friday through to Monday morning, we can categorically say how caring, efficient and kind the young members of staff were. They could not have been more helpful - the booking/reception staff, from a year or more ago, through to the housekeepers, they were all a credit to Principal Hotels. Hopefully (tongue-in-cheek) they are remunerated accordingly!

Events
It was apparent that providing a three-course formal dinner, for 500 diners, was a ‘step too far’! Maybe a buffet style meal would have been more practical but clearly a hot main course was too much. In fact it could have been dangerous – pressed belly of pork – poorly cooked and standing getting cold or insufficiently reheated – a gamble with public health! The thyme-roasted vegetables were even more ‘tired’ than most of us, on Saturday morning. Having said that, a few tables thoroughly enjoyed their dinner – maybe consistency would at least be a partial solution.

Windsor
A brilliant time to visit, especially if you discover the reduced weekend car parking charge or even free parking at York House Council Offices on the Sunday. The atmosphere, the Christmas street decorations, the local people, St George’s Chapel Advent Service and the Castle, with highly informative Staff and Wardens, were all a delight and should not be missed.

Room Tip: The Old School rooms are nearer to reception/bar/spa etc.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for you comments regarding your recent stay with us at our hotel.

I apologise you had a mixed experience when you stayed with us at Beaumont Estate and that the room you booked with us didn’t meet your expectations. We have many of our staff stay at the hotel as part of their training to experience a stay as a guest and use their feedback to improve our service.

I was delighted to read you lovely comments on the staff here at Beaumont Estate, we are proud of all our staff and the friendly and helpful approach they show to all our guests.

I was also delighted that you managed to visit Windsor while you were staying with us, it is a wonderful place, with lots of history and plenty to see and do.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor.

Swadlincote, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The

The old buildings and the gardens are beautiful. The Beaumont Room where weddings are conducted and the old chapel are both stunning. BUT there are many inadequacies. They obviously have a problem with the key cards for your rooms. We had five different ones during our three night stay. We did not have them anywhere near our mobiles. so that could not be the cause of the malfunction.The place is so vast that it is no fun to go back to Reception and calls to them took a long time to answer and even longer for them to bring a new key card. Furnishings in the room were of good quality. the towels were fluffy and soft but they were very mean with both toiletries and coffee and teabags. They are very under staffed when catering for large functions and the food at ours was quite frankly disgusting. At lunchtime there was only one girl serving in the bar, yet they knew there were hundreds of ex servicemen staying there. .
Breakfast on Sunday morning was total chaos. I cleared a table myself, putting the dirty crockery on a shelf under the bar where the cereals were. I then found cutlery and cups at under occupied tables that people had left. It took ages to get anyone's attention to serve coffee.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marie B
BeaumontHotel, General Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback following a recent stay at Beaumont Estate. I was disappointed that you appeared to have consistent issues with your key card and can only apologise that you encountered this inconvenience, in addition to the breakfast service issues experienced.

I am however, pleased that you found the towels and room furnishings to be of a high quality and enjoyable.

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment on your stay.

Kind regards

Olav Schuetz
Hotel Manager
South West England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel is one of the largest hotel/conference venues of its type in Europe and therein lies its problem. It is so huge that getting around it is a challenge in itself and your room could be some distance from the car park. There are numerous room types, but beware that the upper rooms in the Old School building have the wardrobe and bathroom just inside the door from the corridor and the rest of the room is up a full flight of stairs, passing a window with a blind that only comes half way down. One felt very exposed walking down to the bathroom in PJs or less! With accommodation for several hundred people, breakfast could have been a scrum, but it was actually quite civilised, although the fare was no better than any 3 star hotel. Although the staff were friendly, they were very busy and getting a cup of coffee was a challenge.
The public areas are lovely and the Chapel is a must see venue for a medium sized dinner party, with its colour-changing lit ceiling and stained glass window. Furnishings in the public areas and in our deluxe room were 5 star.
If you are looking for a venue for a very big group, then this hotel can cater for you, but you may get swamped if you are there as a private individual.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following a recent stay at Beaumont Estate, I am disappointed that you found the hotel to be too large for your liking, and the more character features of your room to be disconcerting.

I am however, delighted that you had a opportunity to view the Chapel and found the furnishings in both the public areas and your Duplex Deluxe bedroom to be of a 5 star standard. I am pleased that your breakfast experience was not as daunting as you expected and that despite the size of Beaumont enjoyed your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay at Beaumont Estate.

Kind regards
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!