“One of the worst I have ever stayed in!”

De Vere Beaumont Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The bathroom was filthy and had cracked tiles. The wifi was terrible and the fixed wire internet connection terrible. The bed was so uncomfortable and the mattress probably several years old and lumpy. Breakfast contained food that was as tough as nails with the bacon a real treat. No Earl grey tea and most of the help yourself buffet finished by 0900. I guess they cook it all at 0600 and then left on a hotplate. Communal areas and function rooms were though of a very high standard and reception staff excellent. Would go somewhere else if looking for a place to sleep but great for a business conference (as long as you don't stay overnight). The walks to the rooms as mentioned by others were fine.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
4  Thank lovefoodLondon
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Thank you for leaving your feedback on our hotel following a recent stay with us.

I was delighted your conference was a great success and the facilities were of a high standard.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our Reception staff. We do share all feedback with them in our Quality Wins meeting that we hold on a monthly basis.

I do however apologise that your room and the breakfast did not meet with your expectations.

Your feed back is greatly appreciated and will be used to help improve our Service.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have a Suite. I am sitting in the corridor writing this review because I don't get wifi in my room, despite it being a suite. And because they don't have room service I have to order from dominos pizza (which because it is an online order, also has to be done from the corridor outside my room). I believe that in room internet access and 24 hour room service (they don't actually offer room service at any time) are a pre-requisite for a 4 star hotel.
My TV also doesn't work, my shower is mouldy, and you can't see out of the pvc double glazing because of the condenstation. This is supposed to be the top level rooms, god only knows what happens in the standard rooms.
In the bar, I also struggled to get wifi access (not free) and had to tolerate Casualty on full volume on a 50 inch TV at 9:45 pm on a Saturday evening. All in all, it's a bit rubbish. I'm here for another 3 days, I'm sure I'll have more to say by then.

Room Tip: I had a suite and it was shocking. If you want a good room, go elsewhere.
3  Thank davidmorganjenkins

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our hotel during your stay

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the difficulties you experienced during your stay.

I apologise for the problems you experienced with our internet, we have high speed wireless in all areas of the hotel. Rest assured your comments have been relayed to our Service provider.

I was disappointed that the suite that you were allocated was not to your taste and that you experienced some problems with the television, our maintenance team could have resolved these problems had you let our Reception know.

I hope the rest of your stay was trouble free.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I stayed here with my six year old as we were visiting family and friends in Windsor. The main reason we chose this hotel was because, on their website, they claim to be family friendly with a kids club and facilities for children. We normally stay at the Wren Hotel in Windsor. The Wren has a much better location for us as it's right in the middle of Windsor. However, we decided to stay here because of the swimming pool. My child loves to swim.

The reception staff are friendly enough. We stayed in a suite in the White House. The room was lovely but no room service and no club lounge for people staying in suites or any other benefit for those staying in the White House.

The food was terrible. Possibly the worst hotel food I've ever had. On out first evening we headed down to the main restaurant where there was supposed to be a buffet. We were told they had decided not to do a buffet because they didn't have enough guests staying at the hotel. I wonder why? The food in the bar was poor. The next morning the buffet breakfast was terrible and I waited 25 minutes before giving up for a pot of tea. We never ate in the hotel again.

The kids club wasn't running because 'it's february'.

My major complaint is regarding the swimming pool. Children are only allowed in the pool at certain times. A few hours in the morning and afternoon. I don't mind this and am happy to comply as I know guests without children also need to enjoy the facilities. However, when we went to swim during the allocated times it was not enjoyable at all. Half the pool is laned off for conference guests wanting to perfect their strokes!! The other half of the pool was also being used by conference guests as if it was laned off. There was nowhere for my son and I to swim. We ended up doing tumbles in a small corner of the pool and then gave up. My son was then shouted at by a conference guest in the changing rooms because she thought he had used all the hot water - he hadn't even been in the shower!!

If the hotel is going to ban children from the pool for most of the day then it should allow families to enjoy the pool when it is open to children. The only way to do this is to have family only times. I have seen plenty of reviews from other families complaining of this exact same issue. The response from the hotel is always the same - 'thank you, I'll pass your comments on the the leisure centre manager'. Nothing changed - one review I read was dated a year ago.

This hotel is for conference guests only. Do not stay here if you have a family.

I told the reception staff of all of my concerns before leaving. They did not care. The response - 'we'll pass on your comments to management'. I got the impression they have become used to saying those words.

Room Tip: If you have a family don't stay here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Pamphile

Thank you for sharing your feedback on our Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to learn that certain aspects of your stay did not meet with your expectations.

I apologise that you felt that our Hotel was not suitable for Families with Children, we have several facilities for children including a large outside play area, nature trail and in school holidays we have activities for children and a designated children’s play room. Also for older children we have a pool table and foosball table.

Our child swim times are advertised on our website and I apologise that you didn’t feel the times were suitable. I have passed your feedback onto our Leisure Club Manager.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a strange place. Parts of it have great character and other parts are like generic conference venues. This is not a hotel in my view - it's a conference venue and as such the room I had was basic, though clean and tidy, but miles from the rest of the building. The whole place is spread out and it really is a long walk from me part to the other.

The bar is very expensive and unjustified and the decor in some places is pretty cheap and dodgy. The look and feel is all over the place.

The grounds are really nice and I enjoyed walking around a bit. I thought the food was OK, but OK for a conference venue and not really hotel standard. There were long gaps were dishes were not replenished at the buffet and some food was cold. We had dinner in the chapel one night and it really is an impressive and lovely venue.

I thought this was Ok as a venue for a largish course, but I wouldn't go here for anything else. It is just OK really. The wi-fi is not great and I couldn't get a mobile signal in my room so not helpful.

I wouldn't mind going back here again on a course because the room was OK and the grounds are nice but I really wouldn't go he's for anything else.

Room Tip: I was in the North wing which was miles away and no signal.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback following a recent stay with us.

Whilst I am of course delighted that you enjoyed the characteristics of our venue, I was disappointed that other areas of your stay didn’t meet with your expectations.

I apologise that our décor was not to your taste. I was however pleased to read that you managed to find some time to have a look around the Hotel and our lovely Grounds and Gardens.

I hope you get the opportunity to return to us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was at the hotel for 5 days for a global conference which I was involved in organising. That's always a big test for a venue - we had 90 people in attendance and were there for a long time. But the hotel did well. The condition of the venue is largely good. Our rooms better than I expected - smart, spacious, clean and comfortable.

Staff were almost all very good. Pleasant, willing to help and working hard. This is a very very busy place - lots of activity all the time. So the staff are always busy too - sometimes they could have done with a few more at reception or particularly in the restaurant. But overall they do a good job.

The food was also largely good - but a little inconsistent. Sometimes the meals were excellent, other times - above average but no more.

The location is exceptional - 12 minutes from Heathrow.

We'll be back I'm sure.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for you kind comments about our Hotel/Conference Centre.

We are always striving to provide a high quality of Service for all our guests and conference delegates. It is always a pleasure to read feedback that confirms we are right on track.

Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff, we do always try to have enough staff on duty to cope with the amount of people we have on site and I apologise that you didn’t feel this was the case when you attended a Conference.

I hope you will get the opportunity to return to us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

What an awful and pathetic overworked gem of a venue, that is long past its sell by date. From disgruntled staff pretending to be conference venue savvy but actually porters for some of the forgotten visitors.

I came here for a 3 day work venue, i wish i hadnt ! ... basics -
Food = plentiful plates of warm insipid uninspiring mush
Coffee = what the luke warm attempt at a brown drink
Wifi = nope, not unless you fight each other for 1kb of data an hour on offer - blackspots everywhere
Mobile Signal = O2, Vodafone, EE no chance !
Rooms = Sticky Carpets from the 70s, with Curry House decor
Vending Machines = Hi Tech - not hooked up and not working !
Venue = Miles and Miles and Miles of walking and endless walking followed by a jog to the stairs, fabulous if you want to get fit, not if you are tired .... ridiculously laid out

This venue is a study in appalling lack of good grace, courtesy to its guests and for the rate diabolical value .... avoid with all costs corporate or individual ...

You have been warned.

Room Tip: ask for non-smoking, upstairs, non disabled rooms, avoid north or south wings as its a 7.5 minute wa...
3  Thank Jonathan C

Thank you for sharing your comments and opinions with us after a Conference you attended.

I was disappointed your recent Conference and stay with us did not meet with your expectations.

We always openly welcome constructive feedback from our guests regarding their experience at our Hotel whether it is positive or negative. It is an invaluable tool for catering for our customers expectations and continually improving our standards of product and Service.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this feedback with us.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

After realising this hotel was the same company as my previous nights stay at the Selsdon PArk Hotel I was a bit dissheartened as that othe rplace was just a nice building but not a good hotel.
After an easy check in and a nice free room upgrade, I was given a map and sent on my way. I found the room easily with the map in the HUGE grounds and opened the door to a great modder room.

Some good points

-VERY comfy bed and pillows. I stayed here 2 nights and slept like a log both times.
-Great TV with lots of channels to choose from
-Very high spec fixtures and fittings incliding decent desk to work from
-Gym and Pool were good and onsite so no going outside
-Location right near lots of things

Bad points

-Gym staff could do with a wake up and a smile lesson. Both times the blonde foregin girl wasa bit rude and actually not there at the desk for ages to check in.
-Bathroom suit was yellow :-s this looks like a new build part of the house too, maybe theyre expecting them to come back in fashion, which they probably will. This could be the smartest move ever. or not.
-Parking is sparce for cars, they have a lot of events on. One particular day they had an even with a british company who supply gas (see what I did there) and there was about 100,000 vans there so I couldnt get parked.
-Breakfast - Tell your chef to take it easy on the vinegar for poached eggs. Wowser they were pickled. Yack.

Bottom line, would I stay here again? YES - 100% loved it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Basurq
BeaumontHotel, Guest Relations Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you for writing a review of Beaumont Estate following a recent stay with us.

I was delighted that your recent stay with us exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed all our facilities and you liked your room.

I apologise however for the shortcomings in Service that you received in our Leisure club and especially with any member of staff that was in any way unfriendly or rude.

I have passed on your 'less vinegar' recommendation to our chef and thank you for your constructive feedback

Kim Norris-Guest Relations Manager

The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Copthorne Hotel Slough - Windsor

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!