“Don't bother”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

After staying at this hotel I can honestly say that I would never stay at a Principle Hayley hotel again. The impressive website simply doesn't match up to what you get when you arrive. At nearly 9 months pregnant upon check in we were given a room that was at least a 15 minute walk from reception!! On the first evening I order a chicken ceaser salad from the tempos bar which was £15!!!! And basically consisted of a lump of chicken and soggy salad leaves!

After discovering blood on the walls in my bathroom I complained to reception that I wanted this cleaned immediately but this never happened - disgusting!!

Massively disappointed in the service, cleanliness and overall attitude of staff at the hotel. Would have got better at the travel lodge!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank bexley40
BeaumontHotel, General Manager at De Vere Beaumont Estate, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing Beaumont Estate following a recent stay and I apologise that you were not entirely satisfied.

I am saddened by your comments and in particular that we did not recognise that you needed assistance getting to your room, sadly not all our rooms are centrally located and although we endeavour to ensure that our guests are advised on the best possible route to their bedrooms it is clear on this occasion that we failed to make life a little easier for you which I must apologise for.

In regard to your salad, I am disappointed that this did not live up to your expectation, and equally that it was not brought to our attention in order to be able to rectify the situation.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I will share your comments with my management team.

Peter Ingels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
  • Hebrew first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We spent 2 nights (Friday & Saturday) and thought we were in for a treat when we arrived. The hotel is very grand from the outside, with a modern & spacious reception.
Upon checking in, we were told the hotel was no longer serving food (10.00pm on the Friday), which wasn't unreasonable, we were then told we could order from a takeaway & have it delivered. We opted to order from the takeaway, when asking at reception (5 minutes after), we were informed that the takeaway would not deliver until 1 hour later, as the hotel is a 'long way away'. We leave in rural Yorkshire, our takeaways are delivered in 25 minutes, it must be different in Windsor.
After arriving in the room, it was part of the old school, I found it to be 'cosy' with a decent size bathroom. The room was especially cosy as the windows had been kept shut on the hottest day of the year, with no air-con. This meant I boiled the kettle without putting it in. It was hot!!!!
After the debacle with the food on the Friday, I checked the Guest handbook and found that the hotel actually serve food until 11pm, with it being ordered at reception or at the bar.
The staff appeared to be unfriendly and generally quite unhelpful. We tried to order a pizza on the Saturday(10.20pm), after we had been out for the evening in Windsor, and were informed the hotel stopped serving food at 10. We referred the manageress to the Guest handbook, a minor argument ensued but a pizza did arrive. It generally felt like Fawlty Towers, one person tells you one thing, the next another & what actually happens is something completely unexpected.
Both Friday & Saturday involved the hotel holding functions, from what I saw, this is the Hotels main source of income, so the emphasis is on hosting, not guests. If you are having a function, this hotel is probably a pretty good decision, as the setting & function rooms are pretty smart.
The rooms have been updated however without Air-con, the temperature was almost unbearable.
The setting of the hotel is excellent, Windsor is 10 minutes drive, Legoland is 15 minutes. The location is great, with sweeping & well maintained grounds. There are 5 car parks, which can mean you become disorientated however there is enough spaces if you continue looking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Firstly, I do apologise that you were given conflicting information on the food times of the hotel; sadly, I cannot find any literature to support any time later than 22.00, as the closing times for food at the hotel, although I am delighted to see that the team were able to get you some food after this time.

As you allude to, not all our rooms are air conditioned, however we rarely experience temperatures that cause discomfort to our guests and I apologise that the fan given was not sufficient to counter balance the weather and temperature reached in the room.

Overall, I am pleased that you found the outside of the hotel delightful and the location excellent. so thank you once again for your feedback.

Dolgellau, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This Hotel is situated out of the way and you need a car to access the surrounding areas. When booking this hotel on the web, you get the impressions of a lovely country Mansion House estate,which would normally lend itself to the area being close to Windsor. Do not be fooled by this as this Hotel is just a glorified Travel Lodge on a very large scale. You will be very lucky to stay in the Main Building which is close to all their amenities . Most of the Accommodation is situated in Army barrack style buildings, you will need to drive from the reception to access these rooms and especially if you are placed in block F which was the furthest away. On the approach to this block the first impressions of a non maintained building were quite obvious .The actual door to the building was to suppose to have a security swipe key lock which was not working and the door was left unlocked all day/night,being where this room was located on this massive site gave a vulnerable aspect . The actual room was of a modern decor but very dark and being on the ground floor had access to a French door opening onto a lawned garden very poorly maintained . Outside the door was littered with cigarette ends . We thought that this part of the estate must be the staff area due to the lack of attention . Some of the other reviews state how nice the grounds are,this is true at the front drive and main entrance,as you get further on to the site you can see a big difference. Overgrown weeds cover most of the ground floor areas surrounding these buildings,block paving missing in various places and rubbish littered near to the entrance of the room we stayed room F110. And to top it all a very noisy three night stay where we were disturbed each night in the early hours of shouting from either other guests or Staff ! And the constant banging of doors ,house keepers shouting room service at 7 am in the morning,ok if you are on business. Not so great if you are on a leisurely peaceful break staying at a so called country estate. This is our worst annual visit we have had to a London Hotel . You may as well stay in a proper Travel Lodge at least you know what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask for room with sound proof walls.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James L
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing Beaumont Estate following a recent stay and I apologise that you were not entirely satisfied with your stay.

Beaumont Estate is a large property dating back to the 17th Century and marries the Old School accommodation with our newer built modern style bedrooms, although not walking distance from Windsor, the Royal town centre is less than 10 minutes by taxi /car from the hotel, so we rarely have any negative comments on our location.

The old and new part of the hotel are joined via the link way, with reception and our main restaurant centrally located within the hotel, our grounds and gardens are spread over 40 acres and I am saddened that you did not experience this as there are many features and walks around the hotel to enjoy.

Overall, I am disappointed that you were not completely satisfied with the hotel and apologise that we did not meet with your expectations. Thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Old Windsor hotels

Bourne End, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Was really disappointment with the whole experience here as a corporate client. The food was terrible at both evening meal and breakfast. Evening menu offered 3 out of 5 as vegetarian options, one as a pie and chips (more winter fare - our trip was in summer) and one chicken dish. Breakfast was powdery eggs and bacon with after taste. If you order poached eggs beware it comes with lettuce...(!) Plus the restaurant itself has a funny cabbage smell - not appealing at all.

Rooms were decorated quite nicely but bathrooms were out of date and did not match the bedrooms. There was no AC and the shower worked on either boiling hot or cold!

Booking in at reception gives a false impression as the first thing they fail to offer is to carry your bags, a necessary service when it takes upto 15 minutes to walk to your room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leigh D
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing Beaumont Estate following a recent stay and I apologise that you were not entirely satisfied on this occasion.

I have reviewed your comments with my team and I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with the food offering. We will usually discuss all the food elements for a conference with the organiser to ensure that the selection on offer will appeal to all, although I am sorry that this not to your liking on this occasion.
Our breakfast offering is a hearty mix of cereals, fruit, and cooked items and I am disappointed that the taste and presentation of these items did not meet with your expectations either.

I have noted your comments on the shower and will ensure that this is investigated to avoid others experiencing this irritation.

Thank you once again for posting your comments.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, upon driving up the driveway you are greeted with amazing grounds and period buildings which are great, if only the rest of the stay had lived up to this,

don't expect to be checked in before 3pm as this will not happen in my experience , there is no air con in the bulk if the rooms which are small and the double beds are a large single at best! The rooms are uncomfortably hot and alot of them have French doors so no window to leave open overnight, planes do fly directly overhead which is copiable however you can also hear every footstep in the corridor all through the night,

staff were ok but did little to ease my frustrations when I complained and proceeded to try and charge the full amount with a smile? ,,, small talk and trying to befriend you does not make up for a poor hotel and little nights sleep in my opinion,

Over priced , under rated and the reviews on here are mostly undoubtably accurate- I am a little sceptical normally of taking all reviews on here as gospel but in this case I regret ignoring the obvious trends on trip advisor

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chris32123
Dear guest,

I was very surprised to read your comments as we rarely get remarks regarding the size of our double beds, all of which are equal to a large standard double or are king size. That said, I appreciate that the heat over the past few days has caused the rooms to be unusually hot and I apologise for the inconvenience of this.

Thank you once again for posting your comments.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

A gorgeous looking building, with beautifully maintained garden surroundings. Staff were not hospitable, very basic care to guests, not a welcoming feeling. Staff do not know where facilities are so are happy to point you in the WRONG direction until they finally admit they don't know where you have to go back on yourself and end up in same spot you started.
Unable to check into room until 4pm!!!( not what it says on the website!)
Breakfast- lack of options as they don't replace anything once it has finished.
The interior décor has not been touched for 40+ years.
Feels the love and TLC has been lost in this place.
Not cheap to stay and although a beautiful building, do not expect much of the running and service of the place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DRDRA
Colchester, Essex, England
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the white house and had the only room with a balcony
We upgraded at reception and were very pleased when we got to our room which was immaculate and very modern
The grounds of the hotel looked very nice and if it wasnt raining it would have been lovely to walk around
Would definately return

#2 of 17 in Windsor
Savill Court Hotel & Spa
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
Clarion Collection Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!