“Not worth the money or the 4*'s!”

De Vere Beaumont Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Old Windsor
Reviewed 1 January 2011

I was really disappointed by this hotel. The website made it look so beautiful and so my expectations were high. Upon arriving and going to reception to check-in, the guests in front of us were checked-in, then the desk staff just wondered off for a few minutes, leaving myself and a queue of other people waiting to check-in just standing there. Once the staff returned, we checked-in and were directed to our room, which was what seemed like miles from the reception. When I walked into our room my only feeling was disappointment. They obviously only show all the nicer rooms on the website! The room was pokey, bland and out dated and certainly not what you'd expect from a £99/night, 4* hotel or from looking at their website. The bathroom was much the same and the shower only gave us scorching or freezing water, from a shower head that was so small and probably not sold since the 70's.

The next morning between 7am-8am, the cleaner was banging around and singing loudly outside our door. Not impressed!

I booked this hotel as accommodation for my work colleagues and I for our christmas party. Everybody said how lovely it looked on the website but once there, a lot of people said how grotty their rooms were. A couple of people even said they had stayed in better travel lodges! On the plus side, a couple of my colleagues were lucky enough to have been given decent rooms, which I believe were in Block A. Anything in the other blocks seemed to be a disappointment to everyone unlucky enough to be in them. I guess it's luck of the draw!

I didn't go for breakfast but the comments from my colleagues who did are that this was also disappointing. Bacon dried up, sausages going wrinkly, baked beans with skin on the top, all from having sat there for far too long.

The biggest insult was that as a group we booked just over 30 rooms and the hotel flattly refused to give us any upgrades or complimentary rooms!! Had I not had to change our christmas party at the last minute, I would have definitely told the hotel staff where to go and gone elsewhere, purely from their attitude at this point in the booking. Unfortunately it was the only hotel in the area with those number of rooms available at such short notice!

I was so embarrassed that I had booked this hotel for my colleagues and would not recommend it to anybody, particularly for important events!

• Stayed: December 2010
2  Thank Jessica_D78
Write a ReviewReviews (3,990)

Reviewed 17 December 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights in december and it was a bad experience. We paid extra for an old school room, only to find it cramped and humid. The door to the bathroom was made of glass, and gave us a great view of the toilet. My girlfriend, and indeed every person we spoke to that night found this unacceptable. We asked about this at the front desk and were treated with such contempt. Eventually we were moved to cheaper priced rooms which had normal privacy saving doors, but had to negotiate a partial refund. The staff were dismissive, arrogant and rude throughout our stay. The housekeeping lady harrassed us constantly.

Also, though the hotel is gorgeous from the outside, the inside is awful. It's a gaudy mess, with all the warmth of an icecube in antarctica. In summary, do not waste your money here. You are better offf in a travelodge.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AaronChandra
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I really can't believe the bad reviews that this hotel has received! Spent one night here on Saturday 11th, special offer through Travelzoo (£98.00 for 2 people with 3 course meal and breakfast) and it was worth every penny. Had a lovely room in the annexe block, overlooking the old part of the hotel and gardens. Clean, comfortable, modern and warm. If you stay in the main old hotel then you would have a view of the newer blocks, but they are not an eyesore. Yes, there are a lot of rooms, and yes there is a bit of a walk to the main hotel BUT IT IS ALL UNDERCOVER AND HEATED!!! Its not like you have to tromp through the gardens! The main part if the hotel is lovely, staff very helpful and friendly, meal in the resturant was first class and we were the only ones in there!! The hotel was very busy with xmas functions and we seemed to be one of a few couples there just enjoying a night away. Had a great nights sleep followed by a fantastic breakfast, hot, great selection, attentive staff despite the resturant being busy. This is a beautiful setting and a lovely looking hotel, but it is also a conference venue and they don't hide that. I would highly recommend it and plan to do another stay. Considering that it was 2 weeks before xmas and a weekend, I was very impressed. There is some plane activity overhead as this hotel is in the Heathrow flight path, but that did not bother me in the slightest.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I thought this was going to be a sweet country hotel and instead it was the largest collection of bedrooms ever. It took about 15 mins to walk there from the soul less reception. However, it was the breakfast which upset me. English breakfast, with poor quality cold food and stale patisseries. I wouldn't recommend this, except that on an offer the room was £50 , which is good for the close location to Windsor.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Fifi186338
Reviewed 12 December 2010

Stayed here for one night. Arrived at 3.10 to check in 4 people working the desk and it took a few minutes to be acknowledged. Others checking in after a long journey were told the room would not be available for 45 minutes. Not good when people are hoping to get ready for an evening function.

Room was miles away. You need a map to get there. Ours was old, tired and dirty. Smallest lumpiest double bed I've slept in. Shower unusable as water pressure was too low. Left over rubbish from previous guests. No iron in the room. Small ?14 inch tv with very few channels. No room service. At breakfast there was a good selection but the quality was not great. Checkout was fine. One word of warning if you plan to use the residents bar late. If you do not have a credit card registered with reception you cannot get a drink. They don't tell you that when you check in.

As you can guess, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 9 December 2010

Arrive in the evening after a long journey, staff took a long time to acknowledge me and then even longer to check in (5 minutes plus) even though I was the only one there. Found that there is no room service which is very disappointing then it is a fair walk to get to the accommodation and it is not well sign posted. The rooms feel like a dormitory/military barracks and it certainly does not feel like a hotel. The rooms are very small and basic and make you feel like you do not want to spend any time.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

On its website, the hotel states "Please note that bedroom pictures on this site may not portray accurate representations of specific bedroom types"
We arrived at 22.00 after a long drive and were shown to a room of the standard we might have expected in cheap bed and breakfast accommodation. Fortunately for us, the radiator was not working and could not be fixed so, at 22.45 and at our request, we were eventually shown to another room which was nearer the standard we had expected from the information we had seen on the website. We could not understand why, when this room had obviously been available, we had been allocated such a poor room initially.
The plumbing made a terrible noise but the room was reasonably comfortable and we enjoyed the remainder of our stay (4 nights) although we found we were unable to get any refreshments (eg morning coffee)
Breakfast was good and service met our requirements
I make my recommendation with a caveat - make sure you stipulate that you require a refurbished room, prior to booking

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Harte & Garter Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Windsor

Been to De Vere Beaumont Estate? Share your experiences!