“Fantastic”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rotherwick
Yateley
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for one night. it was a special birthday treat for me from my wife. We were joined in the afternoon by friends for afternoon tea which was first class. Special thanks here to Neill Williams who waited on us and certainly went the extra mile to make it an enjoyable experience. Our room was extremely comfortable and tastefully decorated. Our evening meal was top quality and we had a hearty breakfast the following morning. Throughout our stay we were treated courteously and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. It is well worth asking in the bar to have a look at the album showing the history of the building - most interesting. I would not have any hesitation in recommending this hotel to anyone. The only slight niggle we had was that the towel rail was switched on in the bathroom and that made the whole room extremely warm as it was probably the hottest day of the year. This was easily rectified ourselves by simply switching it off.

1 Thank Plot66
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Plot66
We are all very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent birthday celebration stay and that you found our staff both courteous and friendly. It is also good to know that you very much enjoyed the standard of Restaurant food and service and that you would have no hesitation in recommending the Hotel.
Thank you for your comment regarding the bathroom towel rail and for your particular mention of Neill from the Lounge / Bar by name.
We hope that you return for your next birthday if not before.

Mark Robinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

can't believe some of the reviews I am reading .

I stay at Tylney Hall every year for my wedding anniversary , and have just booked my mum in for her 80 th birthday.

The staff , rooms , food . service are all excellent and faultless.

I recommend to everyone .

I wonder what more these guests expect ! Its a shame when nothing is good enough !!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Sue C,
Your visit to TripAdvisor and very kind comments are so much appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to feed back. We look forward to you returning for your next anniversary and of course welcoming your mother for her landmark birthday celebrations.

Mark Robnson
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I couldn't agree more with the review I just read, titled “It should be so much better”. This place is absolutely stunning. As a location it knocks spots off the Four Seasons - better setting, nicer architecture, more "real" and more English. Food fairly good too. However I cant help feeling some the management are sleeping on the job. There are 2 specific reasons for this:
1 - The rooms. We were "upgraded" to one of the most tired, depressing rooms I have stayed in - think old lady B&B/retirement home. When we complained they very graciously moved us to a room which was fine (not exceptional, but fine). One fears for the people who didn't have the cheek to complain. Spending nearly £800 on 2 nights away gives you the right to a bit of clean modern decor, rather than a lick of paint, we think. Not the best start. Make sure you ask for a recently refurbed room and you'll be fine though
2 - The service. Plenty of people milling around, but nobody doing anything really helpful. Particularly apparent at breakfast - lots of "fake busy" people avoiding eye contact when you want to ask for the third time for toast . One guy was fantastic as host in the main reception room, but he was surrounded by amateurs.
Appreciate the first point is a big capex decision (it desperately needs spending though). However the second one is very easily fixed with bit of a kick, some more training and perhaps a better Front of House head.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished one, or stay somewhere else!
3 Thank Steve C
Dear Steve C
Thank you for your constructive feedback following your recent stay and we are very pleased to receive your positive remarks about the building, gardens and food standards.
As General Manager I do accept final accountability for the levels of guest satisfaction and I am genuinely sorry that you experienced below par service for breakfast and that the bedroom did not match your expectations.
I am not going to offer any excuses but we did experience abnormal service issues on Sunday morning and as a result there has been a thorough debrief with the Food and Beverage Management team. I hope you will accept that firm action has been taken.
Regarding your bedroom comment, there is an ongoing refurbishment plan for many of our bedrooms, but I do empahise with your sentiments and once again I am sorry that the current standard was not as expected.
Thank you for taking time to feed back.

Gt Britain
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The setting is absolutely fabulous and driving to the stunning main entrance of this warm historic building fills you with anticipation. The immaculate lawns fantastic gardens and landscaping lift the heart and surely a wonderful stay is in prospect.
Reality hits. No one was interested in taking the bags , no one made eye contact, the hall porter was indifferent. Not a great start.
The room was large and perfectly situated but tired and in need of refurbishment. The hotel had clearly seen better days and with just a jot of imagination and investment could be so much better.
The outdoor pool was fabulous and required very little staff input which is what made it so enjoyable. We discovered some towels and chairs and really relaxed.

Never mind - tea on the sunny terrace. Well that was the plan. Eventually, summoning a waiter we asked for tea, no menu , no idea until at last someone came and took an order. The tea was average and I am sure the jam had once had a passing acquaintance with a strawberry before being metamorphosed into red goo but hey ho. And the cakes? well that was the problem. Life was too short to spend our whole afternoon waiting for the cakes so we just left.

Dinner was old school. What it lacked in quality and taste it made up in pomposity and pretentiousness. Lots of staff running around ineffectively none able to deal with questions and eventually, after stale rolls and bland soup the silver domes were lifted up to reveal a mediocre meal. I cannot recall the taste of anything but it was all green.

The pianist was good though!

Breakfast was a farce with hard working staff beavering away in a sea of chaos none daring to make eye contact with the mounting queue. Coffee served without milk which was promised to follow. A promise as trustworthy as that of a cheque being in the post, The buffet could just about cope if you hung around for it to be replenished but the probability of my cooked breakfast ever arriving was so low that once again I gave up in despair.
A word with the duty manager as we joined the long queue at checkout brought an apology and the explanation of a new batch of staff and a very busy weekend.

This hotel has so much potential. I feel like a school teacher writing an end of term report on an intelligent child with superb potential who is failing at every step. There must be a reason and it needs to be addressed.

5 Thank conferenceplus
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to visit TripAdvisor regarding your weekend and please accept my most sincere apologies for your disappointments.
I have in addition received a report from the Duty Manager whom you met on the Sunday morning and also your subsequent email direct to myself.
I am not going to offer any excuses, and accept that the levels of service you experienced were certainly not the norm to which we operate.
As a result there has been a thorough debrief and review and although this may be of little consolation to you at this stage, actions have been agreed to minimise a repeat of the shortcomings you experienced.
Thank you once again for taking time to communicate with us.
West Vancouver
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Our reservation (on-line) was handled well, as were related communications prior to our arrival. This hotel is in a magnificent setting with beautiful, mature and well-maintained grounds. It appears to be very well managed.
We stayed (2 nights) in a cottage overlooking a lily pond, having the sitting room downstairs and bedroom and bathroom on mezzanine level. It was comfortable, quiet, clean, well equipped however, it was some distance from main house which could be a problem in heavy rain.
We chose to dine on one night in the Oak Room. The starter scallops were superb, the main course roast lamb, carved at the table, was not exceptional and the sauce hid, rather than complemented the lamb. The pork tenderloin was grossly overdone, tasteless of a cardboard-like consistency. Very disappointing.
After some considerable time, I caught the eye of a server to report the pork issue by which time it was too late to substitute. The complaint was poorly handled except that, at end of our stay, the cost had been deducted from the bill.
Would have no hesitation in returning to the hotel but have serious reservations about dining room.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BlighWestVancouver
Thank you for taking time to visit TripAdvisor and I am glad to learn that overall you would recommend the Hotel.
I am sorry to learn however that the standard of your main course meal in the Oak Room Restaurant was not as you would have hoped for, please accept my apologies. I am glad however to see that the charge was waived, albeit you felt your complaint was not handled well.
Very pleased to know that you enjoyed the junior suite overlooking the gardens and that you would have no hesitation in returning to Tylney Hall.
Thank you once again for taking time to comment.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We first went to Tylney Hall for a dinner dance and loved it, we have been there for my birthday every march, this time we stayed for two nights, fabulous. Just paid for my daughter and son-in-law to stay for their 40th birthdays, they loved it. Thank you for making their stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Join small luxury hotels ( which is free) then you will become a loved member and when You stay in...
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Very glad to learn that your daughter and son-in-law recently enjoyed their landmark birthday celebrations with us and for also letting us know that you too have enjoyed your own birthday celebrations here at the Hotel.
We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back next March for another celebration.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We've stayed in Tylney hall on two occasions, the most recent we stayed in the Duchess Suite. The suite is big, even by hotel suite standards. There is a very large living room with coffee machine, fruit, and chocolate laid out, the bedroom had large four poster bed and the bathroom is also very large with separate cloakroom with toilet. Our room was on the 1st floor up the main stair case overlooking the front of the house, we didn't hear any noise from any other guests and got a great night sleep. We didn't try out the free wifi, but it worked fine from what we heard from other guests. The breakfast is good and plentiful, it is of a buffet style but you are served by staff instead of taking it yourself. The grounds around Tylney Hall are beautifully kept with a lake and water garden which you could walk around for hours, we had loads of fun feeding the ducks who are very tame and take the bread right out of your hands. We found all the staff that we interacted with to be polite, helpful and courteous and couldn't fault them at all. There is a medium sized outdoor pool and a smaller indoor pool as well as a gym which is free to hotel guests. There is also a snooker room which you can go in and use whenever it is available.
I left the hotel wondering why it was not graded as 5 stars as I've stayed in 5 star hotels in the UK that were not as good as this.

Room Tip: The Duchess suite is very expensive, but if you want to treat yourself and live in luxury for a few...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bazerarti
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback and we are all so pleased to know that you enjoyed the Hotel, the Gardens and of course feeding the ducks. It is so pleasing also to hear first hand that our staff were helpful, polite and without fault.
The Duchess Suite is one of our finer roomsand I agree is ideal for that special treat.
Thank you for visiting TripAdvisor and we look forward to you hopefully returning for a third occasion.

Mark Robinson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherwick
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
Basingstoke Country Hotel & Spa
Audleys Wood Hotel
Audleys Wood Hotel
#4 of 13 in Basingstoke

Been to Tylney Hall? Share your experiences!