“Not the same Tylney Hall”
Review of Tylney Hall

Tylney Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rotherwick
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Tylney Hall was always my place of choice to eat and stay when I lived in the UK. I was in London on a family visit and decided to book a table for Sunday lunch at Tylney for four persons ,three ladies and myself.
Two of the ladies had not visited Tylney before and were very pleased with the invitation due to the high praise I had always given to what had been my favourite restaurant.
We had a very tough journey down due to the heavy traffic and pulled into the lovely drive way up to the hall.
I was pleased to see one or two staff members were still at the hall even after all of the years since my last visit. All was good and we ordered a good bottle of champagne and had a glass as we made our lunch choices in the lovely main reception room.
In we went for lunch and the Oak Room looked as lovely as before and with the piano playing ,the setting all looked good.
The table wear, including the cruets were dirty and very dull ,heaven knows when they had a proper clean. Lunch was good and then a disaster hit a fellow guest who was very ill and had collapsed on the floor---not pleasant. I missed the desert trolley which was always a high light of any meal. We asked for coffee to be served in another room and off we went to the blue /grey room were we were informed quite rudely by a member of staff that this room was set for those having afternoon tea. We sat in the main reception room with the door open and the wind blowing through quite strongly --not a pleasant experience--.
We went out side to look at the lovely grounds and passed a puddle of human vomit which one of my guests had to find and point out to a member of staff,
Bill paid ,we left the Hall and the conversation back to London was not one of praise for the place ,which was a real shame.
I have emailed the General Manager who will no doubt reply to this post, he did apologise but his reply left my concerns unanswered in my opinion, I informed him of this by return and his silence shall we say has been deafening.!!!
Standards have dropped which is a real shame .

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel, we had Sunday lunch
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor that very much reflect the sentiments of your original email and my response dated the 8th August.
I do accept accountability for the level of guest satisfaction and I would like to assure you that the attention to detail items you have mentioned have been brought to the attention of our Restaurant Manager.
It is certainly not our standard that cutlery is not sparkling clear as indeed our salt and pepper cruets. I hope you will accept that this was an oversight.
I have been at the hotel, as General Manager, for the past 12 months and it had not been the standard to offer a dessert trolley long before I arrived. As I understand it, the decision to do away with the trolley was certainly taken with the aim that individual sweets prepared to order are a more acceptable offering than desserts being left in room temperature within the dining room. I do appreciate, however, that the sweet trolley may have been associated with traditional hospitality standards.
I certainly do not want you to think I am making excuses but the Grey Lounge is an area where we pre-book afternoon teas and, again, have done so for many years as this is the most pleasant of the lounge areas and is more appropriate for afternoon service. I am sorry that you felt the Library Bar leading to the Tylney Suite was not so comfortable.
It was very unfortunate that one of our guests was taken seriously ill during Sunday lunch and this was a situation we had to deal with immediately at the time. We are unable to legislate for such unforeseen circumstances.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and I am sorry that your experience on Sunday was not as you had remembered from previous occasions.

Kind regards,

Mark Robinson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,538)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel and it was amazing as expected.

Regrettably both visits have been on business trips and although I was able to enjoy a bit more during my first visit, this time I didn't have that possibility.

I loved the park area, the lake, the patio, the garden... it really brings you back to the past. It is also very quiet and peaceful.

I recommend it for a vacation away from everything as in that situation one will really be able to appreciate the remote location and relaxed atmosphere.

Make sure to have a car or prepare to use taxis on a daily basis as there is nothing nearby except the Tylney Hall Golf course which is right next to the hotel grounds.

In terms of food all is of excellent quality regardless if having the breakfast buffet or ordering from the menu.

There are only two negative points I can bring up. One is applicable not only to this hotel but perhaps to all classic hotels (and some newer ones) and that is that there are 2 separate taps for hot and cold water. This is quite inconvenient but there's nothing to be done about it.

The second negative is that one morning there was no hot water at all. I agree all can happen, but I was really not expecting it an it was quite frustrating.

All-in-all this hotel is great and a must if visiting Basingstoke or wanting to relax.

Oh... and make sure you are not a budget as this one will cost you a lot.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the park is the ultimate experience.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mitko I
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your constructive comments and for taking the time to visit TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that your 2nd stay was most enjoyable and that you found our services matched and possibly exceeded your expectations.
Very sorry to hear that you had hot water challenges, we did have a power surge one evening as a result of a thunderstorm that tripped out the boiler. This I agree was unfortunate.
Thank you once again for feeding back, and we look forward to you hopefully returning later in the year.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just returned from a great spa weekend at this charming hotel. Great location and grounds. Excellent staff and professional service at all levels especially the health spa. Very good restaurant experience ruined by ignorant parents who feel it is acceptable for their odious children to shout,scream and run around the public areas unchecked.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John M
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

So glad to read that you enjoyed your recent weekend stay and that you found the staff excellent with professional service. Very glad to learn also that you had a good experience in both the restaurant and leisure club.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The entrance is lovely style manor house hotel, when I arrived I was originally shown a room in towards the back which was like a courtyard. The room was terrible, it look so chintzy it was beyond belief and even though the windows were open there was never going to be air flow through the room. I asked to be moved and sometimes another room can be found and sometimes not, its the luck of the draw. However the receptionist could not be nicer or more helpful and found me a much better room. I still needed a fan but the room was much better overall, still chintzy and this one effort changed what could have been a terrible stay into a great stay.

Molten Brown toiletries, bottle of mineral water, all small touches which make a significant difference. I had a good night sleep and went to breakfast which was excellent. The waiting staff are very efficient but a little brisk. The food was all excellent quality and well cooked.

I had a walk in the grounds before my meetings started and I was really impressed, they were absolutely lovely, I've visited many country house hotels and these were exceptionally good and set the overall ambience. The grounds alone must take so much effort but they really make a difference and the guys who maintain them do a great job. I've stayed here on business but I'd happily and am thinking about coming back for weekend stay as I do think it would be relaxing.

I would warn anyone who is looking for a hip boutique hotel this isn't it, very much oldie worldly but it does it very well and definitely worth a stay. I think the hotel does need to renovate some of the rooms which are now starting to show their age. Overall great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RJB1000

Your review is very welcome and I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your experience. I am particularly pleased to learn that one of the reception team made a real effort to facilitate your request for a room move and that this action made such a huge differance to your stay.
We are in the process of refurbishing and updating some of the bedrooms with more planned for 2015.
Thank you for your positive comments about food quality and service, very much appreciated.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a visit at Tylney Hall. On arrival the place and grounds were magnificent and very impressive. A gentlemen kindly arrived at out car door with an umbrella due to the rain. Very prompt and appreciated.

Check in was smooth and we were shown to our room very quickly. Our room was across the courtyard so a short walk across the grounds and a perfect opportunity to take in the ambience of the hotel. We booked a deluxe superior room and got room 65 which was a lovely room, a little dated and refurb will no doubt make this perfect, but a great space with a separate living type area and a four poster bed. Bed was comfy. In general the room was very clean and well presented. Only criticism here is the bathroom floor could have been cleaner as there were some random spots and smears in places and the shower head was a tad loose and hard to get into place.

Dinner in the Oak Room was delicious. We were seated by the window on both nights and the second night had an absolutely beautiful view. Perfect amount of space between tables to ensure privacy yet create intimacy. Great food, pianist and service but there seems to be some communication issues within the serving team. Not something to get your knickers in a twist about like some other reviewers but something worth mentioning.

Afternoon tea was good. Service there was great from our waiter. The 'manager' or person who had done the rota for that week or day had a slightly loud altercation with another member of staff in full earshot of guests. Even though she commented that there were guests having tea still continued to have the rather fraught 'discussion' with the staff member. Should have been done elsewhere.

The grounds were a lovely little walk and worth exploring. Fantastic area and beautifully maintained.

The outdoor pool was clean and bar area located conveniently. Beware of the £35 jug of Pimms however. Overpriced really.
The indoor pool was ok. Could have been checked on more regularly and cleaned especially when there are a few children staying and using the pool area.

All in all our stay was fantastic. This hotel is so very close to perfection and I wish it all the luck getting there.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Hulahoop333

Thank you for the constructive nature of your comments and I am pleased to know that overall you have have rated your stay as "fantastic"
I have noted your feedback and am sorry for the areas that were not quite up to the standard you would have hoped. Thank you however for your honesty, your comments will be shared with the team.
Despite these shortfalls it so pleasing that you have still rated us as "so close to perfection"
Thank you once again for taking time to visit TripAdvisor

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have stayed at the Tylney hotel for some years now and can honestly say we have never had a disappointing experience. This time we went with another couple to celebrate a birthday. As the weather was so lovely we spent some time just walking around the lake and magnificent grounds that are kept absolutely perfect. The gardening team must work extremely hard as the floral displays inside and out are a treat to see. We always use the pool and sauna and relaxed in the afternoon sunshine outside the pool contemplating dinner.
The food in the Oakroom restaurant is always of the highest standard with a superb choice of wines, and staff very attentive. The hotel must have been quite full as breakfast was very busy, there is a huge choice, but as we came down late we did miss out on the lovely pastries. It was again a lovely relaxing weekend stay and shall look forward to our next visit.

It depends what you are looking for in a hotel. The Tylney is a wonderful old building with lots of history. The grounds are beautiful to walk around and the food impressive. There is a pool, sauna and a gym, if you are so inclined. The staff generally will do their best to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, but from experience I know that if there is something not exactly to your liking you only have to ask.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristopherS114

Dear Chris and Ruth

Thank you so much for the lovely review and we are all so pleased to know that you enjoyed the recent birthday weekend.
Your very kind comments about the staff will be passed on to team members, as formal thanks is always very much appreciated.
Thank you for taking time to pass on your comments

Reviewed 10 August 2014

After appalling service two years ago, we vowed never to go back to Tylney Hall. A pity, as before then we had visited scores of times and it was our favourite weekend bolt hall and spot of pampering.

As we had nothing on this weekend, I spied a good Trivago deal on Tylney Hall and we decided to give it a final chance.

Glad we did, for the dire service issues that we had experienced on our last two visits had been ironed out and we had an almost faultless stay. Beautiful room by the pool. Very restful, great food and a renewed focus on service that was most comforting. We will be back!

Room Tip: Great for relaxing and unwinding
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

So glad to see that your faith has been restored and that you found that both service and food matched your expectations.
It is very pleasing to learn that after a two year absence your return visit was successful and that you enjoyed the weekend.
Thank you for passing on your comments to TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Mark Robinson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherwick
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
#1 of 13 in Winchester
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 3 in Egham

Been to Tylney Hall? Share your experiences!