“Splendid!”
Review of Tylney Hall

Tylney Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rotherwick
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We had a family lunch at Tylney Hall to celebrate our son-in-law's 40th birthday recently - a splendid location for a special occasion - excellent food, first-class service, and family friendly too (there were 3 little boys aged from 4 to 7 in our party of 11). There was a lovely atmosphere in the restaurant, and no one hurried us at all. A walk outside on the terrace admiring the beautiful grounds and building ended a perfect day, and chance for kindly staff to take family photos of us as well. It would surely be very nice to stay there as well. The only tiny little grumble was from one member of our party who thought the coffee could be better! In all, well done to the staff for helping with our birthday party! Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you so much for your recent comments posted on TripAdvisor and we are very pleased to learn that the your son-in law's birthday celebration was such a success.
Your comments will be passed on to the Oak Room Restaurant's team members, sorry that there was one member of your party that didn't like the coffee.
We hope that you choose to visit the Hotel again for further occasions.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful pamper break at Tylney Hall which I booked as a surprise birthday present for my mum's 70th. Extra special as she had boarded there as a young child when it was an open air school for poorly children.

First impressions on arrival were that the building and grounds were beautiful and very well kept. We arrived early (3 hours early) but were delighted to be told that our room would be ready for us in 5-10 minutes! The gentleman on reception, Will, was extremely friendly and couldn't have been more helpful, ensuring a smooth and stress free check in.

A young chap then took our luggage, escorting us to our room, pointing out where everything was along the way. What a lovely surprise was awaiting us, we had been upgraded to a Garden Suite and been left a lovely note wishing mum a Happy 70th along with chocolates and a bowl of fresh fruit! The suite itself was spacious, tastefully decorated and had wonderful views over the lake.

Afternoon was spent exploring the grounds, which were magnificent and visiting the spa where we both enjoyed a relaxing massage and facial.

Prior to dinner we had a drink in the bar where we were attended to immediately and given some canapés to enjoy with our drinks. Dinner in the restaurant was first class, food and service couldn't be faulted. Impressed that again without any prompting they knew it was a special birthday and dessert came out with candles accompanied by the pianist playing 'Happy Birthday' which, I thought was a lovely touch.

Breakfast was delicious, excellent selection and plenty of staff on hand.

Check out was as smooth as check in and we were given a card for us to continue to use the facilities for the rest of the day.

To summarise, perfect hotel, beautiful grounds, extremely friendly and helpful staff. Should be 5* rating!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

So glad to know that the surprise pamper break for your Mother's birthday was so much enjoyed and especially as she had been a pupil at the property long before it became a hotel over 30 years ago.
It is very pleasing to know that you enjoyed our facilities and service in all departments and thank you in particular for your mention of Will, our Reception Manager.
We are all very pleased to hear that your stay went well and thank you for taking time to feed back so positively.
We hope that you return for further celebrations.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Tylney Hall was always my place of choice to eat and stay when I lived in the UK. I was in London on a family visit and decided to book a table for Sunday lunch at Tylney for four persons ,three ladies and myself.
Two of the ladies had not visited Tylney before and were very pleased with the invitation due to the high praise I had always given to what had been my favourite restaurant.
We had a very tough journey down due to the heavy traffic and pulled into the lovely drive way up to the hall.
I was pleased to see one or two staff members were still at the hall even after all of the years since my last visit. All was good and we ordered a good bottle of champagne and had a glass as we made our lunch choices in the lovely main reception room.
In we went for lunch and the Oak Room looked as lovely as before and with the piano playing ,the setting all looked good.
The table wear, including the cruets were dirty and very dull ,heaven knows when they had a proper clean. Lunch was good and then a disaster hit a fellow guest who was very ill and had collapsed on the floor---not pleasant. I missed the desert trolley which was always a high light of any meal. We asked for coffee to be served in another room and off we went to the blue /grey room were we were informed quite rudely by a member of staff that this room was set for those having afternoon tea. We sat in the main reception room with the door open and the wind blowing through quite strongly --not a pleasant experience--.
We went out side to look at the lovely grounds and passed a puddle of human vomit which one of my guests had to find and point out to a member of staff,
Bill paid ,we left the Hall and the conversation back to London was not one of praise for the place ,which was a real shame.
I have emailed the General Manager who will no doubt reply to this post, he did apologise but his reply left my concerns unanswered in my opinion, I informed him of this by return and his silence shall we say has been deafening.!!!
Standards have dropped which is a real shame .

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel, we had Sunday lunch
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor that very much reflect the sentiments of your original email and my response dated the 8th August.
I do accept accountability for the level of guest satisfaction and I would like to assure you that the attention to detail items you have mentioned have been brought to the attention of our Restaurant Manager.
It is certainly not our standard that cutlery is not sparkling clear as indeed our salt and pepper cruets. I hope you will accept that this was an oversight.
I have been at the hotel, as General Manager, for the past 12 months and it had not been the standard to offer a dessert trolley long before I arrived. As I understand it, the decision to do away with the trolley was certainly taken with the aim that individual sweets prepared to order are a more acceptable offering than desserts being left in room temperature within the dining room. I do appreciate, however, that the sweet trolley may have been associated with traditional hospitality standards.
I certainly do not want you to think I am making excuses but the Grey Lounge is an area where we pre-book afternoon teas and, again, have done so for many years as this is the most pleasant of the lounge areas and is more appropriate for afternoon service. I am sorry that you felt the Library Bar leading to the Tylney Suite was not so comfortable.
It was very unfortunate that one of our guests was taken seriously ill during Sunday lunch and this was a situation we had to deal with immediately at the time. We are unable to legislate for such unforeseen circumstances.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and I am sorry that your experience on Sunday was not as you had remembered from previous occasions.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This was my second stay at this hotel and it was amazing as expected.

Regrettably both visits have been on business trips and although I was able to enjoy a bit more during my first visit, this time I didn't have that possibility.

I loved the park area, the lake, the patio, the garden... it really brings you back to the past. It is also very quiet and peaceful.

I recommend it for a vacation away from everything as in that situation one will really be able to appreciate the remote location and relaxed atmosphere.

Make sure to have a car or prepare to use taxis on a daily basis as there is nothing nearby except the Tylney Hall Golf course which is right next to the hotel grounds.

In terms of food all is of excellent quality regardless if having the breakfast buffet or ordering from the menu.

There are only two negative points I can bring up. One is applicable not only to this hotel but perhaps to all classic hotels (and some newer ones) and that is that there are 2 separate taps for hot and cold water. This is quite inconvenient but there's nothing to be done about it.

The second negative is that one morning there was no hot water at all. I agree all can happen, but I was really not expecting it an it was quite frustrating.

All-in-all this hotel is great and a must if visiting Basingstoke or wanting to relax.

Oh... and make sure you are not a budget as this one will cost you a lot.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the park is the ultimate experience.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mitko I

Thank you for your constructive comments and for taking the time to visit TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that your 2nd stay was most enjoyable and that you found our services matched and possibly exceeded your expectations.
Very sorry to hear that you had hot water challenges, we did have a power surge one evening as a result of a thunderstorm that tripped out the boiler. This I agree was unfortunate.
Thank you once again for feeding back, and we look forward to you hopefully returning later in the year.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just returned from a great spa weekend at this charming hotel. Great location and grounds. Excellent staff and professional service at all levels especially the health spa. Very good restaurant experience ruined by ignorant parents who feel it is acceptable for their odious children to shout,scream and run around the public areas unchecked.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John M
Mark R, General Manager at Tylney Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

So glad to read that you enjoyed your recent weekend stay and that you found the staff excellent with professional service. Very glad to learn also that you had a good experience in both the restaurant and leisure club.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The entrance is lovely style manor house hotel, when I arrived I was originally shown a room in towards the back which was like a courtyard. The room was terrible, it look so chintzy it was beyond belief and even though the windows were open there was never going to be air flow through the room. I asked to be moved and sometimes another room can be found and sometimes not, its the luck of the draw. However the receptionist could not be nicer or more helpful and found me a much better room. I still needed a fan but the room was much better overall, still chintzy and this one effort changed what could have been a terrible stay into a great stay.

Molten Brown toiletries, bottle of mineral water, all small touches which make a significant difference. I had a good night sleep and went to breakfast which was excellent. The waiting staff are very efficient but a little brisk. The food was all excellent quality and well cooked.

I had a walk in the grounds before my meetings started and I was really impressed, they were absolutely lovely, I've visited many country house hotels and these were exceptionally good and set the overall ambience. The grounds alone must take so much effort but they really make a difference and the guys who maintain them do a great job. I've stayed here on business but I'd happily and am thinking about coming back for weekend stay as I do think it would be relaxing.

I would warn anyone who is looking for a hip boutique hotel this isn't it, very much oldie worldly but it does it very well and definitely worth a stay. I think the hotel does need to renovate some of the rooms which are now starting to show their age. Overall great hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RJB1000

Your review is very welcome and I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your experience. I am particularly pleased to learn that one of the reception team made a real effort to facilitate your request for a room move and that this action made such a huge differance to your stay.
We are in the process of refurbishing and updating some of the bedrooms with more planned for 2015.
Thank you for your positive comments about food quality and service, very much appreciated.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a visit at Tylney Hall. On arrival the place and grounds were magnificent and very impressive. A gentlemen kindly arrived at out car door with an umbrella due to the rain. Very prompt and appreciated.

Check in was smooth and we were shown to our room very quickly. Our room was across the courtyard so a short walk across the grounds and a perfect opportunity to take in the ambience of the hotel. We booked a deluxe superior room and got room 65 which was a lovely room, a little dated and refurb will no doubt make this perfect, but a great space with a separate living type area and a four poster bed. Bed was comfy. In general the room was very clean and well presented. Only criticism here is the bathroom floor could have been cleaner as there were some random spots and smears in places and the shower head was a tad loose and hard to get into place.

Dinner in the Oak Room was delicious. We were seated by the window on both nights and the second night had an absolutely beautiful view. Perfect amount of space between tables to ensure privacy yet create intimacy. Great food, pianist and service but there seems to be some communication issues within the serving team. Not something to get your knickers in a twist about like some other reviewers but something worth mentioning.

Afternoon tea was good. Service there was great from our waiter. The 'manager' or person who had done the rota for that week or day had a slightly loud altercation with another member of staff in full earshot of guests. Even though she commented that there were guests having tea still continued to have the rather fraught 'discussion' with the staff member. Should have been done elsewhere.

The grounds were a lovely little walk and worth exploring. Fantastic area and beautifully maintained.

The outdoor pool was clean and bar area located conveniently. Beware of the £35 jug of Pimms however. Overpriced really.
The indoor pool was ok. Could have been checked on more regularly and cleaned especially when there are a few children staying and using the pool area.

All in all our stay was fantastic. This hotel is so very close to perfection and I wish it all the luck getting there.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Hulahoop333

Thank you for the constructive nature of your comments and I am pleased to know that overall you have have rated your stay as "fantastic"
I have noted your feedback and am sorry for the areas that were not quite up to the standard you would have hoped. Thank you however for your honesty, your comments will be shared with the team.
Despite these shortfalls it so pleasing that you have still rated us as "so close to perfection"
Thank you once again for taking time to visit TripAdvisor

Mark Robinson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rotherwick
Four Seasons Hotel Hampshire, England
#7 of 13 in Winchester
Lainston House Hotel
Lainston House Hotel
#1 of 13 in Winchester

Been to Tylney Hall? Share your experiences!