“Lovely meal”
Review of The Rising Sun

The Rising Sun
Ranked #3 of 4 Restaurants in Swanmore
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We dined early with family (2 adults, 2 children) on a Monday evening. We have been to the Rising Sun many times before as its quite close to where we live. The pub was quiet but the food was lovely. I had the steak and ale pie (i often do) which was good and my wife had the Pork which she said was delightful. The food is not overly cheap but I don't mind when it is good. The staff are friendly and the only suggestion I could make would be an early bird special which would help get more people in early and mean we could afford to go more often!!

• Visited May 2014

Fareham, United Kingdom
“Good, but not quite 100%”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I was one of a party of six celebrating an eighty-fifth birthday and our host chose Swanmore's Rising Sun pub.

The welcome was pretty good. The menu was fairly average but the specials board really attracted our attention. Before our meal we were offered drinks. I usually drink tonic water with meals but with so many pubs supplying thimble-sized bottles (the size designed to go with a glass of gin) these days I thought I would check the quantity first. I was pleased to note that this beverage could be bought in larger sizes.

My choice of main course was the pork medallions in a Dijon and mushroom sauce. Our food took a while to arrive which leads me to believe it was freshly cooked. Accompanying my pork were four vegetables, all of which were a little out of the ordinary and delicious.

When I first tried my pork I was acutely disappointed. 'Tough' just didn't seem to be descriptive enough and my knife barely made an impression in it. After finally hacking off a piece I found it was actually quite tender. The culprit was the knife with which I had been issued. It was more of a denting tool than a cutting one.

Rather than interrupt the flow of conversation by leaving my seat I decided to wait until the waitress returned with the customary enquiry about the food. I would then have asked for a steak knife, which really should have been issued in the first place. Unfortunately the waitress never enquired about the food while we were eating it so I didn't get one. I probably used up more calories fighting the food than I gained by eating it. However, I must say that the taste was very pleasant. I can't say too much about how the others enjoyed their meals but my wife did say that her pastry was 'not as described'.

For dessert I chose the lemon tart with what seemed to be described on the menu as 'Blackcurrant Sauce'. Others on the table queried this mixture of flavours. When the dish arrived it comprised a slice of tart alongside a ramekin of blackcurrant sorbet. It was a bit like having two unrelated desserts but both tasted very nice.

Most of us had coffee, which I am glad to say was accompanied by mints. The amount of chocolate sprinkled on top of my cappuccino was a bit on the mean side.

All in all I enjoyed the evening but there was certainly room for improvement. I would be more than happy to go there again.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank DoctorBrian2013
“Warm welcome & great food”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Trip put from a local hotel for Sunday night meal...the staff were welcoming, friendly and accommodating, and the beer and food generous, high quality and excellent value. Great stuff!

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Best in Swanmore?”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

If The Rising Sun is not the best pub in Swanmore it is equal or close in every respect - food, value, beer, service ambience. On our visit we enjoyed 'Sue's Faggots' at £9.95 and sampled two of the 4 real ales on offer. The members of staff we met were all delightful. The pub has a pleasant country pub atmosphere with being 'chocolate box' like. Tempted to give 5 stars but perhaps not quite there for us, but only because you need to leave a little headroom for the exceptional.

• Visited March 2014
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Lunch”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by this pub. Their menu was varied, with daily specials and home cooked offerings. Would recommend to anyone looking for a place to eat in the locality.

• Visited March 2014