“Our Wedding at Bartley Lodge” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bartley Lodge Hotel

Bartley Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cadnam
Southampton
“Our Wedding at Bartley Lodge”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012

We held our wedding ceremony and reception at Bartley Lodge Hotel on the 21st July 2012 and it can only be described as a fantastic day with a 5* Star service provided by the hotel.
After a attending a wedding fair at the hotel I found Bartley Lodge to be the best out of the group of four hotels for what I wanted and the best out of all the 'bigger' hotels in Southampton which I find over priced for what you are offered. I fell in love with the venue and went back and put a deposit down three weeks later. We had a few teething problems with wedding planners at the beginning but I think this was just down to people leaving and details written down on lots of bits of paper. After voicing my concerns Peter Briggs the General Manager took us under his wing and certainly knew his stuff. He catered for every wish I could have possible wanted and was superb throughout the day! From letting us come out to the hotel the evening before to leave three car loads of decorations in there lock ups, to overseeing guests arrivals, to making sure everyone was OK throughout the day, he is an asset to the Hotel group!
The garden was beautiful to have our photo's taken and there is plenty of room for children to play on the grass where it is safe and lots of seating on the patio.
The wedding breakfast commenced and the staff were brilliant getting the food out, we had opted for a little off their set meals - tomato soup with warm bread rolls to start which was delicious, a main of roast beef which was melt in the mouth - cooked superbly, with all the trimmings and even the added extra of mashed potatoes and proper gravy just as I had asked. The dessert was an Eton mess which was also lovely. The food was brought out piping hot and cleared quickly. We also opted for a BBQ in the evening which was also fantastic the food was all set out for people to help themselves, it was better than expected.
The evening party got under way and it was lovely on a nice hot summers day to have the grounds as well as the Baronial Hall, drinks were flowing and the only small point I would pick up on as everything else was fantastic is the bar ran out of a lot of the drinks we liked. We may be called 'big drinkers' but by the end of the night there was no Red Bull, JD, Sambuca or Tequila left and they had ran out of jagermeister at the wedding the night before, maybe in future they could stock up on drink to be put in the cellar.
We stayed in the Bridal Suit that night and it was lovely, clean, bright, airy, big, I couldn't fault it. The best touch was when I asked one of the bar staff if I could have some BBQ food and a bottle of champagne sent to our room, when we got to the room later that night there was a bottle in a chiller, 2 glasses and an array of the bbq food covered in clingfilm left for us, brilliant!
We had breakfast the next morning at again it was superb, there was 7 of that stayed the night and they all ate together, I had already had mine with my husband early, there was a good choice of cereals and a more Continental style buffet and then you ordered what hot food you wanted and also how you wanted your eggs cooked! It all came out fresh and hot and was delicious.
I have seen previous comments people have left on this website complaining about the hotel but I can truly say they made our day very special! It is a beautiful venue, great staff and would defiantly stay again, we are hoping to stay there on our anniversary and get everyone out for one of there Sunday lunches the day after as it was smelling divine as we were leaving.
Thank you so much Bartley Lodge for such a wonderful service!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelly C
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
I am delighted to read your review following your wedding held at the Bartley Lodge Hotel! Thank you for taking the time to write it and for your kind comments! I am so pleased the hotel staff, and Peter in particular, were able to ensure you had a memorable and special day, and hope you will return for another visit in the near future! Possibly for your first anniversary?!

Congratulations to you both!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We loved the comfort of this hotel, the staff were amazing and do a fantastic job!
The only thing I will say is that check first if there is a wedding on because there was one on both the nights we stayed and we felt they took over the hotel. I think it would be an idea to have a separate area for guests that are not attending the wedding both inside and outside. I did let the manager know and he was absolutely fantastic, he was polite and professional and listened to what we had said and acted on it.
The food was amazing and we were treated like royalty whilst having our meals. I do think that baked beans should be included in the breakfast without being charged extra for it though. But overall we had a brilliant weekend and would defently stay again. :)

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank landt19
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Bartley Lodge Hotel. I am pleased that you overall enjoyed your visit but am sorry you felt the wedding took over the hotel. It is our policy to inform guests of weddings at the hotel at the time of booking, and I apologise if this didn't happen on this occasion. I do hope you will visit again soon!
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We booked a family break at the Bartley Lodge with our Tesco Clubcard Rewards so that we could visit Peppa Pig World.

On arrival the receptionist asked another member of staff (possibly house keeper, maybe duty manager?) to check if our room was ready and she said that it was. The beds had no pillow cases, there were hairs on the bed and the floor was covered with crumbs and litter. I returned to the reception to question whether the room had been cleaned. The house keeper/manager apologised and said that she had only glanced at the room. If she only glances to check rooms then that may explain the thick coating of dust on the skirting boards, bath panel and light fittings as well as the cobwebs everywhere!

While our beds were made and the floor vacuumed we went to get some drinks. Despite pressing the service button on the bar, we waited for over ten minutes and still no one came. I went into the restaurant and eventually found someone to serve our drinks.

We took our drinks outside and it was lovely! The terrace and gardens are definitely the best part of the hotel. There were games on the lawn and lots of space for children to run and play safely.

We booked a table in the restaurant for 7pm and were not served our main course until after 9pm, thankfully the children could play in the garden but after waiting for more than two hours they were too tired to eat!

When we checked out, our bill showed that we had been over charged by almost £30. There were items that we had not ordered from the restaurant such as four extra desserts as well as £5 which had no description what it was for. After pointing out that two adults couldn't possibly eat so many desserts during the same meal, they were removed from the bill.

It is such a shame that our room was very dirty and the service so slow as the location is perfect and the hotel could be a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank jlgy
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Barley Lodge Hotel. I am sorry you had problems with the cleanliness of your room and will ensure your comments are forwarded to the general manager who will investigate them further and implement staff training as required. I am however pleased that you found the hotel to be child friendly and that you enjoyed the gardens.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Lovely staff but Few rooms need updating!! Also a new carpet in dining room would really brighten things up!!

A friend has her wedding booked here and I am
Sure she will have a fantastic day just think few updates needed!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Sallysong1
Thank you for your review and comments, which we appreciate as it helps us to monitor our service.
Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

I booked into this hotel for one night due to a business meeting but also had to take my large dog. The staff could not of been anymore welcoming. The room I was given was really nice, clean and well presented, which isn't always the case if you take a dog to a hotel. My dog was welcomed in all parts of the hotel except the restaurant and pool which made life easier as I didn't want to leave her in the room alone for too long. A member of staff even offered to walk my dog in the morning whilst I had breakfast.
I will definitely go back on pleasure rather than work, as the food, surroundings and hotel were so good.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CAROLINE B
Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review following your recent business trip and stay at the Bartley Lodge. I am delighted to read that the staff took such good care of both you and your dog, and do hope you both return for another visit soon!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

This really was a last minute decision rather than drive home for the night. I booked over the phone with Naomi who couldn't have been more helpful and pleasant. She offered us a deal on the family room and a 65% saving on dinner for the three of us. On arrival we were greeted by Diane on reception who did everything she could to facilitate a pleasant stay for us. Nothing was too much trouble and she moved our room away from the Wedding party still in full swing below. The inclusive choise at dinner was acceptable with a few higher priced options available. The wine list was varied and appropriate with sufficient choise. The food was all very well presented, cooked to perfection although a little light on potato, however more than made up for with an extra parmesan bread roll. The service at table was attentive but not intrusive, timely and we were not rushed. Breakfast was just as attentive and relaxed and the deep yellow of fresh eggs really made a difference to the scrambled eggs. The feel of the hotel is almost as if it were family run although it is part of a small chain. The light oak panelled downstairs is well looked after and the grounds are a pleasure to walk around. We ate in the Orangery which was light and airey but I suspect the light levels in the main breakfast room could be frustrating.

We stayed in room 27 directly over the pool which had a low level generator hum running from when we arrived (early evening) and still going when we left at mid morning the following day. This was irritating and frustrating and uncondusive to sleep. The room was also too hot although all windows were open.

Room Tip: Questions to ask: Is there a Wedding Party during my stay & can you locate me away from it? Can...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Veau
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
I am delighted to read your review following your recent stay at the Bartley Lodge Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am pleased that the staff took such good care of you and that you enjoyed your meals at the hotel.

The humidifier should be switched off at night to avoid disturbances to our guests, and we provide fans in all our rooms to assist with warm evenings. I will investigate as to why there was no fan in your room and ensure one is put there for future guests.

Thank you again for your comments, and I hope you will visit us again soon!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

I decided to treat my wife to a break away to Bartley Lodge and a surprise it was indeed, set back in the New Forest upon arrival we were taken away by the lodge and surrounding views. The reception staff were pleasant and courteous. The services provided were very good including breakfast into the grand dining room overlooking the gardens and bar service (Peter) who kindly wiped up my wife a homemade mock tail.

I would recommend the lodge for a weekend break , however there were a few disspaointments, mainly the cleanliness of our room (and size) and the fact that we had to wait for a bit to check in as the lady on the front desk didnt how to check us in as she was new and also one of the ladies behind the bar didnt know how to use the card machine. Also, there was a wedding going on till after midnight so the music was unbearable.

So overall, I would go here again but make sure you check if there is a wedding going on before you book.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sands071
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Bartley Lodge Hotel. I am pleased you had an enjoyable visit, despite the delays experienced due to staff training.

It is our policy to advise guests of weddings booked at the hotels at the time of booking, and I am sorry you were disturbed by the celebrations.

I do hope you will return for another visit in the near future, perhaps when we have no events booked, and thank you again for taking the time to write this review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadnam
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 2 in Burley
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Woodlands

Been to Bartley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!