“Has promise but overall disappointing”

Bartley Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cadnam
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Room had cobwebs on the ceilings and some hairs in the bathroom eek! Room was small and pokey with very little hanging space for clothes. There was a light well which is cool but it's difficult to sleep when it's lit up like the lights are on at 5am in the morning!! The hotel claims to be on a big estate but around the hotel is grubby and there is very little actual area for you to explore unless you like climbing fences. Breakfast on the 1st morning was good but on our 2nd morning we were served scrambled eggs with grey lumps and cooked salmon mixed it, it was inedible! Feels like a nice hotel that has really let itself go and I didn't feel like I got value for money. Very disappointed.

1  Thank ChristophMich
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor our service, and I will be investigating your comments further with the general manager. There are covers provided in the bedrooms with skylights to ensure a good nights sleep. I am sorry that you were not informed about them. I will ensure that guests are notified of this at check in. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one evening and the hotel is beautiful. The grounds, the facilities, the bedroom, the food, all stunning. What lets this place down in little things. Broken toilet seat in room. Rude manager with tablet, who didn't even make eye contact at breakfast and then walked out of kitchen with a sausage in his hand. Bar ran out of certain drinks throughout the evening. Might be worth putting a coat of paint on kitchen door in breakfast room as the black scuff marks don't really go with the grand decor of the rest of the room. With all that said, we would stay here again as we had a nice time.

1  Thank InfinityRising
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Infinity Rising

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your thoughts after your recent at Bartley Lodge, I was very disappointed to read some of your feedback and have dealt with all the issues raised as a matter urgency.

We hope to see you again soon.

Regards

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Bartley Lodge is a beautiful building in a wonderful location. The young general members of staff, receptionist who doubles up as waitress; and waiting staff are generally enthusiastic and helpful and they do their best; the housekeeping staff are very pleasant and keep rooms pretty up together. They are though let down by the inconsistent quality of the food prepared by the chef/s. Saturday breakfast was really well cooked and nicely presented, with very good ingredients and attention to detail and it tasted lovely. Sunday breakfast was inferior, sloppily presented and just did not taste good at all. I cannot comment on Friday and saturday's evening meals because as fairly frequent visitors who have on the last few occasions been so very disappointed with the quality and taste of the dinners decided to eat out this time. I would really love to see this hotel get back to where it was 8-9 years ago when the service was tip top, and the food was really nice every time we visited and the staffing levels allowed for excellent service. I find it very odd to have sauces presented at table in drinking glasses and milk provided in an assortment of sizes and styles, what happened to the matching place settings of old i wonder?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Bartley Lodge Hotel and for your comments regarding the presentation and quality of the food. I will be discussing these issues with the general manager and head chef to ensure they are resolved. I do hope you will return for a visit in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I rang up last minute to book a room for the following day. The girl I spoke to told me details of every room type. When I explained I wanted to make it special she took on my every comment, she recommended a crown room and even said she could arrange flowers. When we arrived at the charming hidden away hotel, we were greeted by a lovely young girl. When we got to our room there was a delightful four poster bed in a tasteful decorated room just what was described. On the dresser was a stunning bouquet flowers, with the colours I had asked for. I had also booked dinner which was lovely, the presentation of each dish was remarkable with a mixture of mouth watering flavours. Over all a pleasant experience, the hotel was wonderful. The staff were all very good, in particular the reception girls they were a delight.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lillianne J
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Lillianne J

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your special occasion and that the reception helped paint a picture for you of what your visit would be like. Thank you also for your feedback on your dinning experience at the hotel I will make sure that the kitchen team see you review.

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Just back from a lovely weekend at Bartley lodge, my husband and I were celebrating our 33rd wedding anniversary and decided to treat ourselves and what a treat it was! We were very well looked after by the staff from the manager (lovely Tom) to the domestic staff, all had smiles the whole weekend even tho they were extremely busy hosting a wedding! We were on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal and the food was fantastic, will DEFINATELY be returning in the not too distant future, even had a swim while we were there in the lovely warm pool. We stayed in room 47 where the bed was by far more comfortable than any I have slept in for a long time, can't wait to return, thanks to all at Bartley lodge

1  Thank maria16green
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Maria16green

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge hotel after your recent stay to celebrate your 33rd wedding anniversary. I was pleased to read what a fantastic time you had and will certainly pass on your comments to Tom and the team.

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Staff were really helpful in what was an unusual situation for them. Excellent food and service. Nothing was too much trouble. Rooms very clean and comfortable. My only negative comment would be to warn about the sloping entry to the pool being a hazard and in the sauna sitting dangerously near to the heater. Pool itself was small but good.

Overall an excellent experience for what was important to us all delivered by a very hard working and helpful staff. Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Bonz69

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent group stay. I will pass on your comments to the team about your stay and also get our maintenance team to look into the swimming pool concerns mentioned.

We hope to see you all again soon

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked an afternoon tea as part of my hen party at the hotel a couple of weeks before my wedding reception was held at the hotel. Like other people have commented we were very disappointed with the tea - slow service, food not very satisfactory, eventually getting beverages but no cups/glasses. This caused me embarrassment in front of ladies at the hen party who would also be attending the wedding. It also caused me great anxiety about trusting the hotel with my wedding reception. We did raise our concerns with the staff and an apology was given along with a reduction in the charge for the tea.

Following this experience I grew more and more anxious (as every bride does) about whether we would receive a better experience at the wedding. We had 3 wedding planners which were all very nice, but we had not had a chance to build a relationship of trust with them. Our wedding planner was only going to be available for part of the day of our wedding. Again this caused me to feel a little 'lost' as I wanted someone consistent that I knew and trusted who could liaise with us throughout our celebrations.

We arrived at the hotel the night before the wedding and were met by the duty manager Tom. He was simply amazing that evening and the day of the wedding!!! He understands the needs/anxieties of a bride and he has an attention to detail that sets him above the rest. There was nothing that was too much trouble for him. He went over and above what we expected from him. He went the extra mile to ensure our needs were catered for, we were happy with decisions, were fully informed of any changes etc. Tom took away our worries and made our wedding simply the most perfect day it could be. He regularly 'checked in' with us to make sure everything was ok and we were happy. The staff generally were nice, however it was Tom who made our wedding as stress free as weddings can be. We built a relationship of trust very quickly with him and I am confident if it wasn't for him, our day would not have been as smooth running as it was.

Make Tom the wedding and events manager so others can experience his unique, professional and friendly manner to make their events simply memorable :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rixworld
newforesthotels, General Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Rix world

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent wedding at the hotel.

We take on board all feedback both good and bad and endeavour to turn the bad to good. We have certainly took on board the issues currently experienced at the hotel with regard to our afternoon teas and with the chef and front of house team have worked hard to rectify any issues.

I have personally passed on your comments to Tom after I spoke to you on check out and we hope to welcome you both back soon.

Regards

Stuart Earp

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadnam
Forest Lodge Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Bartley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!