“BEAUTIFUL BARTLEY LODGE”

Bartley Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cadnam
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I came to stay at Bartley Lodge Hotel for a Long Weekend 20-23 March 2014.

Bartley Lodge Hotel has a classic country feel to it. It is tucked away at the end of a meandering drive. The Grade II listed hotel will feel like a much loved second home from the moment you walk in the entrance.

Bartley Lodge Hotel is also well known to historians as it was once the home of the famous Geologist Charles Lyell, a man who not only changed the was the world viewed the formation of the the Earth, but was also an influential friend of Charles Darwin. It is also rumoured that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the famous Sherlock Homes, spent some time at Bartley Lodge whilst writing his novels. His grave can be found in the nearby church at Minstead.

The Staff were very warm and welcoming. We were given Room 49 at first, but due to a broken shower head we were upgraded to Room 15 - A Crown 4 poster bedroom. The room was really lovely and had a cream and green 'Country Roses' decor. The bathroom was very well appointed with a bath with a shower over and complimentary toiletries. The water was piping hot and lovely to shower and bathe in.

The hotel has a nice cosy bar and a lovely Baronal Lounge area with a nice fire to warm you through on chilly evenings. There is a nice swimming pool, with warm water, so it was a pleasure to swim in, along with a nice hot Nordic sauna. We went swimming every day and also used the sauna every day.

The Crystal Restaurant was very elegant and the tables laid nicely with white tablecloths and sparkling siver cutlery. The food on our first evening was very good. We had salmon and crab fishcakes for our starter and they came beautifully presented, Our main course the pork tenderlion was very nice but was warm and not hot.Our desserts were very nice. My husband had the fruit crumble and I had the chocolate and blood orange marquise.

The service was in our mind poor for this eveing. We ordered bread and olives which never arrived, We asked for a jug of water twice and I asked for black pepper, which never arrived.

Breakfasts were very good and over the four days we stayed my husband had the New Forest Breakfast every day. I myself had the New Forest Breakfast, Crossants and Jam, Pancakes served with maply syrup and poached eggs on toast.

The second evening we had pea and ham hock terrine and mushrooms on toast for our starters. Our main course was Cod served with butternuts squash and tomatoes with a selection of vegetables, it was beautifully presented. Our desserts were creme bruelee and cheese and biscuits.

The service this evening was excellent Tom could not do enought for us, everything arrived on time and came piping hot.

Our third evening we had scollops for our starter. We both had the steak and we ordered a peppercorn sauce which was wonderful. The meal was served with tomato, garlic mushrooms and chips and was really nice. My husband had the poached pear for his sweet which he said was wonderful. I had the mango and lime panna cotta, which was lovely and a perfect finish to the meal.

Once again the service was excellent and the food piping hot. On all evenings we had a bottle of red merlot, which was lovely. The wine list is good and very extensive.

Overall we had a wonderful relaxing stay and had a wonderful weekend.

Thanks go to all the staff who made our weekend so pleasent.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Carol B

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent visit.

I was pleased to read your comments and thoughts on the hotel and hope you decide to revisit soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We were a party of 5 adults with two babies and really enjoyed our stay. The two double rooms were a good size and they provided cots which was great. The single room wasn't as nice and actually wasn't ready when we went up to the room. However housekeeping were helpful and offered my mum a coffee in the lounge while they cleaned the room. We used the swimming pool which was nice and great bonus that they sell swim nappies for babies at reception. Only downside was that the slope in the pool is too sharpe and slippery, making it difficult when holding a baby.

We enjoyed the breakfast and they provided high chairs, so a nice family friendly hotel. All the staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is very pretty. A good location for exploring the new forest.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank kulsoom

Dear Kulsoom

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent stay.

I was pleased to read your comments on the hotel, but will certainly look into the slope in the pool with our maintenance team

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel very surprised. Considering how close this is to the main route in to Lyndhurst and how busy this stretch can be, Bartley Lodge could not be more peaceful or beautiful.

The hotel was picturesque and clean, as are the rooms. The staff are very accommodating and friendly.

There only one area that could do with improvement, and that was the vegetarian options on the hotel menu. However, this turns to another positive for the hotel in terms of location. This is a mere stones throw to the White Hart which offered plenty of vegetarian menus.

A beautiful, peaceful, relaxing weekend. We are looking forward to another stay soon.

1  Thank leetee80

Dear Leetee80

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent stay.

I was pleased to read your comments on the hotel and location of the property. Thank you for the feedback on the vegetarian menu I will certainly look into having more options available for the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

Room had cobwebs on the ceilings and some hairs in the bathroom eek! Room was small and pokey with very little hanging space for clothes. There was a light well which is cool but it's difficult to sleep when it's lit up like the lights are on at 5am in the morning!! The hotel claims to be on a big estate but around the hotel is grubby and there is very little actual area for you to explore unless you like climbing fences. Breakfast on the 1st morning was good but on our 2nd morning we were served scrambled eggs with grey lumps and cooked salmon mixed it, it was inedible! Feels like a nice hotel that has really let itself go and I didn't feel like I got value for money. Very disappointed.

1  Thank ChristophMich
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor our service, and I will be investigating your comments further with the general manager. There are covers provided in the bedrooms with skylights to ensure a good nights sleep. I am sorry that you were not informed about them. I will ensure that guests are notified of this at check in. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one evening and the hotel is beautiful. The grounds, the facilities, the bedroom, the food, all stunning. What lets this place down in little things. Broken toilet seat in room. Rude manager with tablet, who didn't even make eye contact at breakfast and then walked out of kitchen with a sausage in his hand. Bar ran out of certain drinks throughout the evening. Might be worth putting a coat of paint on kitchen door in breakfast room as the black scuff marks don't really go with the grand decor of the rest of the room. With all that said, we would stay here again as we had a nice time.

1  Thank InfinityRising

Dear Infinity Rising

Thank you for taking the time to feedback your thoughts after your recent at Bartley Lodge, I was very disappointed to read some of your feedback and have dealt with all the issues raised as a matter urgency.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Bartley Lodge is a beautiful building in a wonderful location. The young general members of staff, receptionist who doubles up as waitress; and waiting staff are generally enthusiastic and helpful and they do their best; the housekeeping staff are very pleasant and keep rooms pretty up together. They are though let down by the inconsistent quality of the food prepared by the chef/s. Saturday breakfast was really well cooked and nicely presented, with very good ingredients and attention to detail and it tasted lovely. Sunday breakfast was inferior, sloppily presented and just did not taste good at all. I cannot comment on Friday and saturday's evening meals because as fairly frequent visitors who have on the last few occasions been so very disappointed with the quality and taste of the dinners decided to eat out this time. I would really love to see this hotel get back to where it was 8-9 years ago when the service was tip top, and the food was really nice every time we visited and the staffing levels allowed for excellent service. I find it very odd to have sauces presented at table in drinking glasses and milk provided in an assortment of sizes and styles, what happened to the matching place settings of old i wonder?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Bartley Lodge Hotel and for your comments regarding the presentation and quality of the food. I will be discussing these issues with the general manager and head chef to ensure they are resolved. I do hope you will return for a visit in the future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I rang up last minute to book a room for the following day. The girl I spoke to told me details of every room type. When I explained I wanted to make it special she took on my every comment, she recommended a crown room and even said she could arrange flowers. When we arrived at the charming hidden away hotel, we were greeted by a lovely young girl. When we got to our room there was a delightful four poster bed in a tasteful decorated room just what was described. On the dresser was a stunning bouquet flowers, with the colours I had asked for. I had also booked dinner which was lovely, the presentation of each dish was remarkable with a mixture of mouth watering flavours. Over all a pleasant experience, the hotel was wonderful. The staff were all very good, in particular the reception girls they were a delight.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lillianne J
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear Lillianne J

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your special occasion and that the reception helped paint a picture for you of what your visit would be like. Thank you also for your feedback on your dinning experience at the hotel I will make sure that the kitchen team see you review.

We hope to see you again soon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadnam
Beaulieu Hotel
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
Woodlands Lodge Hotel
#2 of 2 in Woodlands

Been to Bartley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!