“As a young couple we just weren't important.”

Bartley Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cadnam
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have recently stayed at this hotel for our first wedding anniversary.
We booked the hotel using Red Letter Days deal which was a wedding gift from colleagues.
The hotel and grounds look stunning from the outside, set back from the main road quite a way so it is quiet.

However, as a couple in our twenties we felt extremely out of place.
There was a large group of older people staying in the hotel and at very moment this group took priority. We waited 5 minutes to be noticed at the restaurant entrance for dinner and breakfast. Staff looked right at us and then carried on walking.
For both breakfasts and the one dinner we had, we were put on tables that were in corners an out of sight of staff.
Out toast at both breakfasts were cold and burnt. But we found the staff to be so uninterested when they did come near us that we didn't see the point in complaining.
The dinner we had on out anniversary was very over priced, and the quality and variety was not what we expected for what we paid. We were only offered water or wine, and as a tea total couple this was annoying.
There was a couple sitting near us that complained about their meal and for the rest of the night they took priority.
The staff completely forgot about us and it took for my husband to get up and find staff to get them to clear our dessert plates, 30 minutes Ayer we finished, and to get the bill for them to realise we were still there.
We went to the bar one afternoon and rang the bell for service, it then seemed like to much trouble for the staff to come and see us, so again we felt unwelcome.
We wanted lunch one afternoon, and arrived back 15 minutes before they stopped serving. The reception staff told us to go straight through to the dining room but the staff in there acted like we were vermin and completely unwelcome. We were never advised that we needed to book a table and we were turned away and told to sit in a lounge.
They then didn't have much stock for us to order good. We again found this over priced. £5.50 for an egg sandwich and a handful of crisps!
Very limited choice again!

The room was a good size, but the stool at the dressing table broke & there was a draft coming through the windows overnight. We had to use cushions to block it.
Again we felt that we weren't a valued guest and we just don't see the point of complaining.
The bathroom was ok, although the shower and extractor fan is VERY loud. Hope you don't need the toilet over night because the fan comes on when you turn the light on. You also need to be 4ft or less to use the loo, mind your head.

It's not explained when booking, but you are require to pay a £30 deposit on arrival as "security".
We were ok with this but one person arriving on a business stay was not aware and not happy. There was never a full explanation as to why it was really necessary.

We didn't use the swimming pool so we can't comment on that.

Overall we were disappointed, and did not feel valued as guests. We didn't see the point in complaining as it seemed like we wouldn't be taken seriously.

Sorry, but we won't be returning to this chain.

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank Arq1989
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

I’m sorry you were disappointed by various aspects of your stay. Had you discussed your concerns with the General Manager during your stay, he would have been able to have a chance to deal with the issues straight away. It is certainly not our policy to make guests feel unwelcome and your comments will be discussed with the General Manager so that he can implement further staff training where required. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights, as part of a group of 25+ people. Overall, the hotel was very good, clean and tidy etc. The bed in our room was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in. I would certainly stay there again if I were in the area.

Reading other reviews and in some cases, the responses by the management, it is a case of "same old faults" that, despite promises they would be resolved, still seem to happen:

Bar ran out of my wife's favourite drink on day 1 - so far, now on day 3, stocks have not been replenished.

My wife and I enjoyed the meals (so far), although some people in our group did have genuine cause to complain - meals not as advertised, cooked breakfast that was served practically cold, very slow service, etc.

General service and attention to detail seem to be lacking. Whilst all the staff are obviously hard working and dedicated, a few more smiles and friendliness to customers would not go amiss. Normally in hotels, all members of staff greet guests with a welcome and a smile - by day 3, only one member of staff actually did this. All others walked past us as if we are invisible.

Service for evening meal was very slow, considering we had to pre-order our choices by breakfast, to allow the chefs to prepare everything. We were asked to be seated in the dining room by 7pm. We then waited 35 minutes for the starters to be served!

Our room has a light tube, which luckily, has not bothered us. However, following a comment by another TripAdvisor member, the hotels response was that in future all guests would be briefed that a cover was available in the room to black the light tube out. I was certainly not briefed and only learnt about the cover, by reading the review here on TripAdvisor!

Room Tip: Do not choose a room near the pool - people in my group had to request a room change, due to noise f...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul U
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Paul U

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge during your recent stay with us and for meeting with me on departure to discuss your review.
It was good to talk to you face to face to go through your points and to hear your positive feedback on the hotel.
We look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Stopped here for a wedding which was wonderful!

The overall service in the hotel leaves something to be desired and if you get room 6 you will need to be less than 5' to get a decent shower in that cubicle, the view from the window however was lovely.

The location of the hotel is good.
The food is good.

Initial booking for 3 (a couple (parents) and a single (mature child)) which was increased to 4 number 4 being the equally mature sibling of the mature child- note to hotel staff, don't make assumptions as to people staying in your rooms.

The suite which we had booked but they saw fit to turn into a twin room was nice, the double for single occupancy which we had initially booked and was subsequently given to for double occupancy (as the staff decided to turn our suite over for twin occupancy) was of a less standard than a premier inn, the suite we were given once we complained was nice - service needs to be improved. And should you have to alter your booking to include an additional person as we had done make sure they don't turn your suite into a twin and give you the poky, old fashioned, tired double.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Racheldean36
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with the room allocated to you but hope this will not put you off visiting one of our hotels in the New Forest in the future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My lovely boyfriend gave me a night in a hotel with a red letter day for Christmas. The new forest is a beautiful place and this hotel had a half mile driveway through forest and plenty of parking. The hotel is really beautiful and the grounds are quiet and green and make for a lovely walk. The hotel itself looks like a stately home and in some ways slightly imposing for a young couple as the clientèle were all quite old !

Our room was clean and homely with kettle and plenty of tea, coffee and biscuits. Lovely views and really quiet. Also TV and good heating. We had a big double bed ( which was quite hard and not good for my back) and there was a bunk bed with was bit weird for a couples weekend! The morning breakfast was outstanding with lots of fresh fruit, cereal and yoghurt buffet style. Also a menu with plenty of hot breakfast options including vegetarian options. The staff were very friendly and helpful and there was no shortage of food!

I think the only criticisms I would have is the bar/ restaurant meals for vegetarians were quite dismal. We didn't consider eating at the hotel for this reason which is a shame. Also the bathroom in the room let things down as it was quite shabby and as someone with coloured hair I needed a shower cap and it's unusual not to get one in the room. my boyfriend had to hold my hair out of the water so I could have a shower!

Overall, a nice stay and would stay again.

Dear Tempesta74

Thank you for taking the time review Bartley Lodge following your recent stay.

I certainly take on board your comments about vegetarian options and will after other comments look to make the necessary changes needed.

I thank you for your kind comments about your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Ive just returned from a long weekend break on a special '3 for 2' offer which was good value including room, breakfast and evening meal. This hotel is a converted stately home in beautiful ful surroundings amidst the New Forest.
The room was large, quite basic but clean. The ensuite bathroom contained a power shower which provided copious hot water in an instant. Tea and coffee facilities, free wifi and a flat screen TV sre standard. The decor in the reception rooms is rather dated but in keeping with the age of the building which dates back to the 19th century. There is a small bar area and several discreet lounge areas one of which has a cosy log fire.
The quality of the food was very good indeed but the lack of variety on the menu was disappointing especially if you are not keen on either pork or fish dishes which predominate. The menus do not vary from day to day although there is an additional special menu of the day that contains a very small selection of new dishes. However, I must emphasise the quality of all the food presented was more than satisfactory.
The breakfast menu included fresh fruit, prunes,apricots, cereals, muesli, toast, croissants, plus the usual array of cooked options, although oddly given the choice of fish in the evening menu, neither kippers nor haddock were on offer. Again, the quality was good.
The restaurant staff were polite but sometimes forgetful and rather slow to clear the table between courses.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jnbtt

Dear jnbtt

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent stay.

I will be addressing your comment about the menu with our head chef over the coming weeks and from there will look at varied menus to suit all.

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I got married here on the 27/03/2014 and I spent the night before at the venue. The staff were friendly and helped me store all of the things needed for the wedding in their store room and also had a pile of things I needed to be taken to the church put under the desk at reception for my convenience.

On the morning of the wedding they had already set up the majority of the tables and the room (the Baronial Hall) looked incredible. From this point on the staff were not only efficient but were more than happy to change things to meet our schedule and plans. I felt I was in very capable hands and left for the church.

When we came back for the reception the high level of service continued. Any requests we made to the staff were carried out immediately, the food at the sit down meal was absolutely brilliant and the evening buffet was plentiful and delicious.

A big thank you to all the staff we met and we are so grateful that we were taken care of throughout the whole day. At no point did we feel worried as we felt the staff would (and did in the form of a flaming gift bag) take care of any issues.

1  Thank Dividus

Dear Dividus

Thank you for taking the time after your honeymoon to review your special day here at Bartley.

Is was a pleasure to host your day and hope to see you both again soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I came to stay at Bartley Lodge Hotel for a Long Weekend 20-23 March 2014.

Bartley Lodge Hotel has a classic country feel to it. It is tucked away at the end of a meandering drive. The Grade II listed hotel will feel like a much loved second home from the moment you walk in the entrance.

Bartley Lodge Hotel is also well known to historians as it was once the home of the famous Geologist Charles Lyell, a man who not only changed the was the world viewed the formation of the the Earth, but was also an influential friend of Charles Darwin. It is also rumoured that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the famous Sherlock Homes, spent some time at Bartley Lodge whilst writing his novels. His grave can be found in the nearby church at Minstead.

The Staff were very warm and welcoming. We were given Room 49 at first, but due to a broken shower head we were upgraded to Room 15 - A Crown 4 poster bedroom. The room was really lovely and had a cream and green 'Country Roses' decor. The bathroom was very well appointed with a bath with a shower over and complimentary toiletries. The water was piping hot and lovely to shower and bathe in.

The hotel has a nice cosy bar and a lovely Baronal Lounge area with a nice fire to warm you through on chilly evenings. There is a nice swimming pool, with warm water, so it was a pleasure to swim in, along with a nice hot Nordic sauna. We went swimming every day and also used the sauna every day.

The Crystal Restaurant was very elegant and the tables laid nicely with white tablecloths and sparkling siver cutlery. The food on our first evening was very good. We had salmon and crab fishcakes for our starter and they came beautifully presented, Our main course the pork tenderlion was very nice but was warm and not hot.Our desserts were very nice. My husband had the fruit crumble and I had the chocolate and blood orange marquise.

The service was in our mind poor for this eveing. We ordered bread and olives which never arrived, We asked for a jug of water twice and I asked for black pepper, which never arrived.

Breakfasts were very good and over the four days we stayed my husband had the New Forest Breakfast every day. I myself had the New Forest Breakfast, Crossants and Jam, Pancakes served with maply syrup and poached eggs on toast.

The second evening we had pea and ham hock terrine and mushrooms on toast for our starters. Our main course was Cod served with butternuts squash and tomatoes with a selection of vegetables, it was beautifully presented. Our desserts were creme bruelee and cheese and biscuits.

The service this evening was excellent Tom could not do enought for us, everything arrived on time and came piping hot.

Our third evening we had scollops for our starter. We both had the steak and we ordered a peppercorn sauce which was wonderful. The meal was served with tomato, garlic mushrooms and chips and was really nice. My husband had the poached pear for his sweet which he said was wonderful. I had the mango and lime panna cotta, which was lovely and a perfect finish to the meal.

Once again the service was excellent and the food piping hot. On all evenings we had a bottle of red merlot, which was lovely. The wine list is good and very extensive.

Overall we had a wonderful relaxing stay and had a wonderful weekend.

Thanks go to all the staff who made our weekend so pleasent.

1  Thank Carol B

Dear Carol B

Thank you for taking the time to review Bartley Lodge after your recent visit.

I was pleased to read your comments and thoughts on the hotel and hope you decide to revisit soon.

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadnam
Beaulieu Hotel
8 mi away
Burley Manor
Burley Manor
#1 of 2 in Burley

Been to Bartley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!