“Lovely Hotel Set in Beautiful Grounds.”

Bartley Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cadnam
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel Set in Beautiful Grounds.”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our crown room was lovely. It overlooked the gardens and the side of the hotel. The staff were attentive & nothing seemed to much trouble. There was a wedding at the hotel & I must disagree with the previous post, although 1 or 2 of the guests got into an argument it was not reflective of the wedding party as a whole. The breakfast was a bit slow & that was due partly to a large group dining at the same time. The location of the hotel is handy for the motorway, the New Forest & the south coast. Would stay there again although would not want to pay the full price.

Room Tip: We had a crown room at the back of the hotel which was nice & cool with good facilities.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I do hope you will return for another visit in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Midsomer Norton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed with my partner 23 and 24th July. Room adequate for our needs and pleasant grounds. Breakfast filling and kept you feeling full all day. Swimming pool small but warm. Room stuffy and hot. Suitable for all

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison D
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my toddler as part of a peppa pig world break. The grounds and the hotel are lovely. We really enjoyed using the pool and my son happily jumped in and out for half an hour. Our room was lovely but very very hot with no air conditioning and only a small fan to blow around the hot air.
There was a wedding the night we stayed and whilst we didn't hear a thing from their entertainment in our room I think it may have affected the dinner we got.
I ordered half a beer when we sat down which took an age to come and when it did I got a pint which I sent back. My son had sausages and mash which he liked well enough but he is 3. The mash tasted powdered to me but he ate both his sausages and his ice cream for dessert. I ordered lasagne which was meant to come with salad and chips. The salad was a garnish of brown and limp leaves and the lasagne was clearly not a home made effort. I found no cheese sauce and almost a centimetre of melted cheese on the top. It tasted like a frozen ready meal and I think that's what it was. It came out so perfectly sliced in a square so definitely not made on site.
The worse was my dessert. The description was "lemon curd tart" which brought to mind a lovely baked lemon tart with a curd filling. No. I got a pre bought supermarket individual dried up and stale pastry case with jarred lemon curd spooned in (not even attempting to make it look pretty) topped with a raspberry sorbet. The sorbet was all I could eat. It was terrible! I complained to the waiting staff who apologised and offered to get me something else. My stomach was full with congealed cheddar by this time so I declined.
Upon check out I noticed they had still charged me for the in edible dessert so I mentioned to the receptionist that I wasn't happy to pay for it and she took it off my bill. I also filled in the comments form in my room and noted the complaint.
I recently got a letter from the hotel apologising for the experience which I thought was a nice touch even though they spelt my name wrong.
Breakfast the next morning was ok.
If we were going back to peppa pig I would stay here again but would avoid the restaurant and go to a nearby pub where the food is potentially better and cheaper. Such as shame because it has huge potential.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chrissieh80
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I can assure you that all the food is freshly prepared on site, however I will ensure the Head Chef is made aware of your comments for his further investigation. I do hope you will return for another visit so that we can renew your faith in New Forest Hotels.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My new husband and I just got married at Bartley Lodge on 8th August and we had an amazing day. I stayed the night before and nothing was too much trouble when I needed anything for myself and the bridal party getting ready the next day.
The day itself went to plan and luckily the weather held out for us too. Our wedding breakfast was delicious and so many people complimented it.
The grounds and building are stunning and make the perfect backdrop for a wedding. I can't wait to see our photos! I particularly loved the heart shaped tree outside the honeymoon suite (crown room in the new part of the building).
The honeymoon suite is beautifully decorated - we're considering coming back here for our anniversary next year.
Everything was what we had hoped for and more.
Thank you to all the staff who made it happen and looked after us so well.
Would definitely recommend Bartley Lodge.

Southampton
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for my brothers wedding last night. We had a great day and it was a lovely wedding but there's a few things that really let this hotel down and need to be worked on - the management needs to start listening to the reviews!

Firstly, our room was not worth the £110 we paid for it. As another reviewer put it - a Premier Inn is better! Thank goodness we received the wedding party discount as we would not be happy paying full price for it (£150/160 I think). We believe we were in one of it's older rooms - the newer ones are nice by all accounts. Everything about it was small and the decor was shabby. It was clean but that is the only good thing I have to say about it. The room was an odd shape and the bathroom tiny - the sink was in the room and I showered with the door open because it was claustrophobic shut! Fortunately we didn't spend much time in the room what with being at the wedding. It's unfair that guests pay as much for the old rooms as they do the new ones - the older rooms need updating if you're going to do that. We won't be coming back to stay - count us out as return customers.

Secondly, I think it's absolutely unacceptable that there was one person manning the bar at a wedding of 70 guests! I had to go and ask reception for another member of staff to be put on it. I'm not a hotel manager but if I were I'd know a bar for a wedding party would need more than one person staffing it - it's not rocket science. Service was slow and many people complained. From reading other reviews this is clearly the norm! Surely this attitude toward staffing loses the hotel money?! And when people pay good money for a wedding they don't want their guests waiting longer than necessary for their drinks. Throughout the evening the staff were clearly overwhelmed by the busyness of the bar. When two guests questioned the bar man about the rose wine they'd ordered (it was tangy and they suspected not a fresh bottle) he told them it 'obviously wasn't what they were used to'! Only when I interjected saying they were paying good money for that wine and if a customer says something tastes off you pour them fresh drinks did he do that, begrudgingly! So rude.

And lastly, breakfast was all over the show! We had to ask to order. My tea came out 20 minutes after asking for it and I had to remind two members of staff about it. Two guests' breakfasts were cold so they returned them - the kitchen just nuked them in the microwave before returning them to them! There seemed to be plenty of staff just no order to who was doing what, hence I'd imagine why a lot of things were forgotten and service was again slow.

This hotel is in a stunning location and the grounds are beautiful but they take that for granted and it can't be relied upon. On a positive note, the wedding breakfast was delicious and the communal parts of the hotel nicely decorated - particularly the downstairs ladies toilet. I'll end it there on a good note!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Loopyludesigns
Thank you for your review. Having discussed your comments with the general manager, he has reported that there were 3 staff allocated to the bar for the wedding and that the feedback on check out from the wedding guests, inclusive of the main wedding party, was fantastic. I am sorry if you did not agree with this. Breakfast service was slow owing to the fact that all 28 wedding guests arrived at once, and this on top of the other guests in the hotel put extra pressure on the staff. This is not our usual level of service and the general manager will be implementing further staff training in the areas required.
Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, and it was generally very enjoyable.
The good - As has been mentioned on several other reviews, the grounds are very beautiful, the building itself is stately and no doubt has a lot of history behind it, and the location is very good (near some good pubs and restaurants and also Peppa Pig World which was our main focus).
The bad - Unsurprisingly, given the history and age of the hotel, we felt that the rooms could do with some re-furbishment. The room we stayed in was quite old. Also, because the room was on the top floor (attic?), it had a low ceiling and a lot of odd corners which meant i bumped my head very often. The service was generally good but patchy - I get the impression that the staff do try their best, but perhaps aren't as well-trained as they could be. We were also rather unlucky in that there was a wedding held in the hotel during one of the nights we were there. Our room was just upstairs from the reception, and the noise made it very hard for our family, including our 3 year old, to sleep that night.
Still, we did generally enjoy our stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank zenith42
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Highly recommend....Yesterday we celebrated our Mum's 80th Birthday at Bartley Lodge with 57 family and friends. From the initial meeting through to detailed requirements, culminating in a wonderful bespoke meal The Bartley Lodge delivered in all areas. The staff were attentive, professional and friendly.

The venue looked spectacular, the weather was kind also allowing us to not only use the large wood panelled rooms bedecked by chandeliers but also to enjoy the beautiful terrace and garden.
The quality of food was excellent, delivered swiftly to our large group of 57 guests. We began with entry drinks onto the terrace before guests were invited to table. The choices of locally sourced food was super. The beef, seabass and vegetarian tart were wonderful. The beef so succulent and each meal beautifully presented.The desserts were sumptuous and mouth wateringly delicious. Highly recommend sticky toffee pudding and creme brulee. Attentive staff dealt with wine , water on tables and toast subtly brought to table as a surprise with cake. The cake was then swiftly delivered back to each table with tea and coffee available through in adjoining room for self service as required.
At no time were we hurried and quite simply nothing was too much trouble. All our guests were truly impressed with The Bartley Lodge Hotel and its wonderful staff. Special thanks to Manager Stuart, Events coordinator Sarah, Reception Tom and all other waiting staff.
Highly recommend... A memorable day for a very special lady....made perfect by The Bartley Lodge team.

1 Thank CaroDVB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadnam
Forest Lodge Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to Bartley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!