“What a change a year makes!”

Bartley Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cadnam
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My immediate family and relatives have had numerous holidays at The Bartley Lodge over the past decade and have, up until now, always loved our stays. Indeed, it was only last year that I reviewed this hotel and couldn't praise it enough. What has gone wrong since then? The freshly cooked breaakfasts, for which we had included in our costs, had been replaced with a much reduced buffet option (cost cutting no doubt) which was always cold and regularly not topped up. Even when I ordered an omelette they couldn't do it as apparently their deliveries hadn't arrived.The only decent breakfast we had all week was when the buffet had gone wrong apparently and we were able to order direct from the kitchens. Bartley....please bring back the old breakfasts. The receptionists often appeared to have to 'man' the bar and a ten minute wait to be served was nothing unusual. Three wines that I ordered from the wine list were not available. Side dishes were forgotten and wrong additions placed on the childrens' meals. Hotel guests were definitely second best to wedding parties which was a real shame and a sure way to lose valuable and loyal visitors such as ourselves. This hotel markets itself as a three star place serving four star hospitality. It could so easily be but at present it's a three star hotel offering two star service and no longer good value for money. I've had lovely memories of this place but would love to see some investment in staff to help it return to days of old. I'll be thinking twice before booking here again, something I never thought I'd be saying.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at The Bartley Lodge Hotel. As you are aware from previous visits this is not our usual level of service and I will ensure that the General Manager investigates your comments thoroughly. We have been trialling the cooked breakfast buffet when we have been busy, to speed up the service. It has not been introduced to cutback as it does actually cost us more due to larger portions being taken and wastage. The General Manager has received positive comments regarding the buffet, however we understand that it is not to everyone’s liking. We do hope that you will consider returning for another stay, when we will be more than happy to ensure that your breakfast is cooked to order for you.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Afternoon tea at The Bartley Lodge was most disappointing in so many areas: the room was inappropriate, a public thoroughfare, ignoring the beautiful grounds and next to a large group of excited guests did not have a feel of an afternoon tea, the alternative was cold and unwelcoming. The food was ok, no offer to refill our teas, upon being asked if we would like anymore the staff, whilst courteous, then told us that actually we couldn't have anymore unless we paid for another cream tea. The toilets were unacceptably messy. The staff were polite yet came across as nervous young people and not confident in their abilities. The whole experience was odd and baffling. It felt like the hotel was not prepared to offer this service yet. I hope this feedback is useful.

1  Thank Carly F

I am sorry you had a disappointing experience for your afternoon tea. I will ensure the General Manager investigates your comments thoroughly regarding your feedback and implementing further staff training in the areas required. We appreciate guest feedback as it helps us to monitor and improve our service. Thank you for taking the time to write this review regarding your afternoon at The Bartley Lodge Hotel.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just spend 2 nights at this Hotel with friends celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary. Fantastic location in the New Forest, staff very welcoming and helpful and food was amazing could not fault it!! The bedrooms are a little dated now and could do with doing up and getting new comfortable beds!!! we have quite a few weekends away and most have very comfy beds so this was a slight let down!!! would go back if they rectified this and would bring our Dog as they are very Dog friendly too!

Room Tip: We had rooms on the top floor (third floor) as there was a wedding one night.... did not hear anythi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Stayed here when I needed somewhere last week on way home from a funeral, This hotel is in beautiful grounds and has the makings of a really lovely place, it just needs a few basic principles of hotel management putting in place. I did not mind that the toilet in my original room did not flush and was given an alternative - if smaller room, at least the problem was addressed. An apology would have been nice though, and costs nothing. There were plenty of staff in the restaurant, all polite but no communication between them. I was seated in the restaurant and after fifteen minutes a waiter came to take my order, I pointed out that I would like to see a menu first. Someone else took my drinks order which yet another waitress then delivered to another customers table and and I was eating my meal before my glass of house red and bottle of water arrived. People behind me had ordered before I arrived and were still waiting for their food.
Although the bed had been made up in the first room it was not in the one I had to move to, the reason given for this 'was that as it was so hot customers had been sleeping with just a sheet' fine, but it hadn't been that hot for several days and surely if that was the case it would apply to all rooms - I made my own bed up which is not acceptable when you are paying that much for a room. Actually, not acceptable when you are paying to stay anywhere. At breakfast time, the wrong newspaper had been delivered - no apology or alternative. Nor was one offered when I came to check out. This could be a wonderful place, but sadly has to rate at one of the poorest establishments I have stayed at in this country.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Merrix

I am sorry you had a disappointing experience and I will certainly ensure your comments are investigated further with the General Manager, especially with regards to the cleaning issues and restaurant service. Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your stay at The Bartley Lodge Hotel.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Our crown room was lovely. It overlooked the gardens and the side of the hotel. The staff were attentive & nothing seemed to much trouble. There was a wedding at the hotel & I must disagree with the previous post, although 1 or 2 of the guests got into an argument it was not reflective of the wedding party as a whole. The breakfast was a bit slow & that was due partly to a large group dining at the same time. The location of the hotel is handy for the motorway, the New Forest & the south coast. Would stay there again although would not want to pay the full price.

Room Tip: We had a crown room at the back of the hotel which was nice & cool with good facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
newforesthotels, Guest Relations Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your review and I am delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I do hope you will return for another visit in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed with my partner 23 and 24th July. Room adequate for our needs and pleasant grounds. Breakfast filling and kept you feeling full all day. Swimming pool small but warm. Room stuffy and hot. Suitable for all

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison D
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my toddler as part of a peppa pig world break. The grounds and the hotel are lovely. We really enjoyed using the pool and my son happily jumped in and out for half an hour. Our room was lovely but very very hot with no air conditioning and only a small fan to blow around the hot air.
There was a wedding the night we stayed and whilst we didn't hear a thing from their entertainment in our room I think it may have affected the dinner we got.
I ordered half a beer when we sat down which took an age to come and when it did I got a pint which I sent back. My son had sausages and mash which he liked well enough but he is 3. The mash tasted powdered to me but he ate both his sausages and his ice cream for dessert. I ordered lasagne which was meant to come with salad and chips. The salad was a garnish of brown and limp leaves and the lasagne was clearly not a home made effort. I found no cheese sauce and almost a centimetre of melted cheese on the top. It tasted like a frozen ready meal and I think that's what it was. It came out so perfectly sliced in a square so definitely not made on site.
The worse was my dessert. The description was "lemon curd tart" which brought to mind a lovely baked lemon tart with a curd filling. No. I got a pre bought supermarket individual dried up and stale pastry case with jarred lemon curd spooned in (not even attempting to make it look pretty) topped with a raspberry sorbet. The sorbet was all I could eat. It was terrible! I complained to the waiting staff who apologised and offered to get me something else. My stomach was full with congealed cheddar by this time so I declined.
Upon check out I noticed they had still charged me for the in edible dessert so I mentioned to the receptionist that I wasn't happy to pay for it and she took it off my bill. I also filled in the comments form in my room and noted the complaint.
I recently got a letter from the hotel apologising for the experience which I thought was a nice touch even though they spelt my name wrong.
Breakfast the next morning was ok.
If we were going back to peppa pig I would stay here again but would avoid the restaurant and go to a nearby pub where the food is potentially better and cheaper. Such as shame because it has huge potential.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Chrissieh80

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I can assure you that all the food is freshly prepared on site, however I will ensure the Head Chef is made aware of your comments for his further investigation. I do hope you will return for another visit so that we can renew your faith in New Forest Hotels.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cadnam
Forest Lodge Hotel
The Crown Manor House Hotel
Passford House
Passford House
#3 of 7 in Lymington

Been to Bartley Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!