1,028 results
All reviewslovely hotelswimming poolafternoon teanew forestshort breakred lettercakeslovely settingpeppa pig worldevening mealrelaxing staybeautiful groundswedding venuethe general managerwedding guestswedding breakfastrestaurant staff
Reviewed 17 June 2015

We visited Bartley Lodge for Sunday lunch recently and I was pretty shocked with the quality of the food.

We had the two course menu - I had ham hock rillettes and Roast pork belly for main. Both were as disappointing as each other.
When my starter arrived, it was accompanied by the most stale piece of bread I've ever touched. I literally couldn't even tear it in half. (In fact, it was so hard I thought it was frozen still)
We asked for some more bread, and a new piece came - not too bad this time, at least it wouldn't put a hole in a window if I'd thrown it. However, it didn't matter as the rillettes were the most tasteless things I've eaten in a long time. Not recently made, maybe just found at the back of a walk in fridge and plonked on a plate with some stale bread and some wilting garnish.
Next up was the roast pork belly - bland gravy, microwaved soggy veg, and two cuts of pork which had clearly been sat under a hot lamp for ages as they were all dry around the edges. The roasties were okay, but nothing was going to save this dish.

I didn't think it was really going to get any worse until we ordered coffees. They were SO weak. On our second round of coffees I asked for a double shot in mine and I'm sure this was ignored as it still tasted horrid.
The service was okay - not great, however apart from our plates, 90% of our glasses and coffee cups were left on the table the whole afternoon. By the time we left, it looked like about 20 people had eaten at our table.

What struck me most about this food was that it didn't seem like it was a one off/badly cooked - it just seemed to be really poor quality. All in all, a fairly horrible dining experience - and one I won't be repeating!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Pubgoer03
Tom P, Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2015

Dear pubgoer03

Firstly allow me to apologise for your recent Sunday lunch visit to us. I can assure you this is not our usual standard and it is unacceptable. The facts you present are being dealt with and the relevant action is to be taken.

As a manager I take all feedback seriously and am extremely disappointed that I haven't had the opportunity to discuss your issues with you before reading your online review. As stated previously the points you raise regarding substandard food are not our usual standard by far.

The front of house issues you raise regards service have been addressed and these lapses are an isolated case that will not be repeated.

I would like to be able to discuss the items you raise further by contacting me directly at the hotel on 02380812248, where I can reassure you that the experience you received would not be repeated in the future.

Reviewed 16 June 2015

Young, vibrant, friendly staff charged with satisfying a varied customer base in a very British beautiful building with high ceilings/chandeliers in bedrooms which are traditionally decorated. Extensive well kept grounds/terraces compliment the building. Myself, two sisters and our mother stayed three nights and we could not fault anything. The cleaning staff, night security guard, receptionists and manager all aimed to please. Chris you were a star and looked after us admirably, the breakfast manager Sarah is delightful and Steve Sutton the chef produced wonderful food and went out of his way with special vegetarian breakfasts, thank you so much! Little miss bump (although five months pregnant) went out of her way to help with our disabled mother who was able to use the swimming pool in the hotel as it slopes and does not have stairs. Finally Nick (the sous chef) your birthday cakes were amazing! It was wonderful to be able to bring our dog and I cannot thank all of the staff enough. I have to be honest and say our stay was better than I expected, the building is beautiful, the food was divine and yet the hotel retains a friendly/homely ambience which we did not want to leave!!

Room Tip: We had basic rooms which had comfortable beds and were fine.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends

Dear sweeney935

Thank you for taking the time to review so wonderfully your recent visit to us. Exceeding guest expectation is always the aim here at Bartley Lodge, and I am delighted to read this transferred to your stay with us.It is always so lovely as a manager to see so many staff members mentioned by name in such a positive review. I am pleased that the staff in their attentive nature were able to make your stay so memorable. All staff created an atmosphere where going the extra mile and nothing being too much trouble are the norm.

Overall such a wonderful review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

We did the 3 day for the price of 2 midweek full board deal. The place has real character and the setting is idyllic if you want to get away from it all whilst having access to the rest of the world it's the place to be. The staff are clearly committed and unfailingly helpful, you can see their pride in the place. We had a few glitches during our stay but it worked out. Our shower (Keeper room) was minute and the shower head fixed, making it difficult to get in and wash. The handyman fixed the shower head very quickly and I only had to worry about getting too fat to get into the shower because of scoffing the excellent breakfasts available via the buffet. (Sarah the breakfast supervisor deserves a lot of credit for making it go smoothly)
Evening meals were a problem because the choices on the menu were a tad on the adventurous side and all inclusive. I was confused with the mains as there appeared to be only 2 mains that were available within the deal, the rest of the menu incurred supplemental charges, which was somewhat confusing. On the first night one the mains had run out and that left a fish/rice dish. (I baulked a little at some of the eye watering prices for a one-off on-the-night visitor). I checked the sample menu on their site and our menu bore no relationship to theirs.
The food however was a cut above and had clearly been made by someone with imagination and talent.
All in all a nice place to be, a slower pace and slice of the quality life.
Tip: Beware weddings, check before you book as eating can be difficult due to the sheer volume of people.

Room Tip: Keeper rooms are very snug and the showers are tiny. Other rooms (from looking thro' open doors) look much better.

Dear HappyWandererC

Thank you for taking the time to review so pleasantly your recent stay with us. It was a true pleasure to welcome you. The staff are a joy to behold with indeed an immense feeling of pride as they go about their work. It is lovely to read this transferred to your stay with us.

I am pleased that Mick our reliable maintenance man was able to fix your shower issue. He is a reliable character and an asset as he gets all the little glitches repaired and looked as things arise.

Breakfast is an important part of any visit, and I am pleased this holds many memories from your stay with us. Sarah with her bubbly personality creates an ambience of smiles and warmth. Running her breakfast room with maximum efficiency and a real guest focus where as with all staff here nothing will ever be too much trouble.

The issues you raise with pricing of food and choice have been reviewed and rectified with extensive menu review. Pricing and choice have been looked at. this will alleviate similar issues moving forward.

The food is of great quality. Steve our head chef has many ideas and techniques that carry forward to his dishes. He is the driving force with a passion that breeds through to the rest of the team as the kitchen with his guidance moves forward.

Overall a lovely review for which I thank you, and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

My wife & I were given a voucher for room, dinner & breakfast so we thought we'd check out Bartley Lodge.
The location is fantastic - just off the main road but in a lovely secluded forest setting.
The staff where very helpful and the room was nice. Our room (number 5) was directly above the bar, so thankfully we stayed a Sunday night and it was quiet. Lovely views from the window.
The bathroom was very large, almost the size of the room. Both bathroom & room were well equipped. Tea/coffee making facilities, iron, ironing board and even a fan where to be found in the cupboards.
One niggle was the plug in the sink was broken and once the plug was "in", it was not possible to remove the plug - so we had to clan our teeth in the bath.

On the downside, I was due to be submitting some work and was hoping to avail myself of the free wifi. Sadly, this was more trouble than it was worth. We had barely a signal in our room. I asked to change rooms to get a better signal - as this was a working break for me. However, we where told that the router was right below our room anyway (actually, I think it was in the hall by the main stairs!) and that the internet service is very bad in Cadnam anyway!
So why do hotels advertise wifi, when it is so bad. These days, wifi is not a novelty for checking your Facebook account - if you advertise it, we expect it to be working and able to hold a steady vpn connection - not dropping every 50 seconds. This really infuriates me, as I make a point of arranging my trips around hotels with advertised wifi. I gave up on the work idea, and decided to take a swim.
The pool is lovely, albeit quite small. Its not the kind of pool you would do any serious lengths in - but good for a "bob". Also, it wasn't too unbearably hot, like many hotel pools.

We ate dinner in the restaurant. I started with the calamari, as the salmon & monkfish kebabs where not available. This was very tasty.
To follow, I had the pork belly two ways. Sadly this did not live up to the hype. I suspect that the pork belly had been reheated, as it was very dry, and nothing like belly pork I usually have. Also, I think the black pudding balls had been previously fried & reheated as the oil was quite stale.
For dessert, I had the cheese board. I asked for a glass of port to go with it, but was informed that they did not have any port. I then asked for an Armagnac, but was told they only had Amaretto???
My wife just ordered coffee, but this was forgotten and she never received it.

The staff where all very friendly, and helpful - but just not very professional for a 4(?) star hotel. A good example, was asking for lemon in my V&T. The barman picked up the lemon tongs in his left hand, then rummaged in the fridge and pulled out some lemon with his fingers of his right hand and popped it in my drink. It made me chuckle!!

We politely settled our bill, and continued our stay at another hotel. Such a shame - this was our 18th wedding anniversary and we had wanted it to be a nice few days :(

Room Tip: Avoid 5, as it is over the bar & could get noisy during weddings etc, Wifi internet in the room is not really available, if you need good internet access, stay elsewhere

Dear Jay S

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to us. The in depth feedback provided has been reviewed and I am disappointed to read we were unable to meet your expectation on varying levels of your stay. All feedback is taken very seriously as it is used as a valuable tool in taking the business forward.

The Wifi issues you raise are under investigation and broadband suppliers are being looked at, due to the necessity as you state to have a continuous strong signal connection. I apologise that you were unable to progress with your work as required.

In addition to this any training areas will be reviewed front of house to ensure maximum professionalism moving forward. Overall a constructive review with a lot of feedback to progress with. I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your anniversary and enjoy the break you desired.

Tom Perriman

The food issues you state have been addressed and the menu's are currently under review. I can assure you after sitting down with my team that the issues you raise in this area are not our usual standard.

Reviewed 7 June 2015

On arrival greeted by very smiling and courteous staff. Stayed for 2 nights. Breakfast nice and again, served by friendly happy staff. In general hotel has a happy atmosphere. Only 'grumble' the rooms are very small with tiny showers. We are slim but still found it cramped in the cubicle. Plenty of hot water though and nice big towels.
Nice convenient location, plenty of parking. Lovely garden with chairs, tables and umbrellas.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of gardens. It was quiet even though our room overlooked front and parking which is part of the forest.

Dear daisydo98

It was a pleasure to welcome you to the Bartley Lodge. The warm greeting on arrival sets guests up for a memorable getaway, and I am pleased this vision transferred to your stay with us. Breakfast always provides a nice sumptuous start to the day, setting you up nicely for the explorations available through our beautiful surrounding areas.

I am pleased to read that a lot of areas of your visit exceeded expectations. I am disappointed though that the rooms you occupied did not meet your expectation. We have four grading's of rooms based on size and not quality. This is to accommodate varying budgets and requirements in society.Our booking team will always be happy to provide details of each room type ensuring that guest expectations are met.

Overall a lovely review and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the future.