1,028 results
All reviewslovely hotelswimming poolafternoon teanew forestshort breakred lettercakeslovely settingpeppa pig worldevening mealrelaxing staybeautiful groundswedding venuethe general managerwedding guestswedding breakfastrestaurant staff
Reviewed 31 August 2015

Our last stay at this hotel was about 5 years ago. As we were visiting family and in need of a good rest we thought it would be nice to stay at this hotel again. We arrived on the 26th August 2015. It was very nice to see the newly refurbished reception area on arrival. The receptionist who greeted us was friendly and straight away informed us that there were problems with the key cards so we had to use the emergency one until the machine had been fixed. We were taken up to our room - it all looked very clean. I turned on the switch to go into the bathroom but the main light was not working. My husband went down to reception to let them know and the receptionist came back up to have a look. She said that she would speak to the manager about it. Shortly after he also came up to check the light and then said that he would get maintenance to come and look at it for us the next day, in the meantime we would have to use the bathroom mirror light. That same evening we went down for dinner at 7pm - it was not too busy but the service was very slow. We ordered our meals - which took an age to arrive. The Manager eventually came over to apologise and say that the Chicken Kofta starter that we ordered was dropped by the chef and there was no more so could one of us order something else on the menu. Overall our dinner experience on the first night was nearly 3 hours long!!! The beds in the room was two beds attached together - it was the most uncomfortable sleep I have had. The mattress dipped on one side. The second day was a better - when we arrived back from our day out - we were given our key to the room and the light in the bathroom was fixed. Dinner service was a lot faster but....... oh no, the Chef had dropped one of the starters again (same menu as night before). Hilarious...!! Cannot fault the dessert - it was delicious. Back in our room I was a bit annoyed with the thought of sleeping again on a bed that dipped on one side was very frustrating so I decided to sleep on the spare foldaway bed. This was just as uncomfortable. I did not say anything the next day as it was my last night - if I was staying longer I would have complained. At this stage we were all looking forwarding to leaving. Our last dinner all went ok without the Chef dropping any food - we were given a complimentary glass of champagne from the Manager (Tom). Breakfast on the day of our departure (29th August) was ridiculous - we got seated near to the back of the dining room and was not offered any tea, coffee or toast - the children went to get themselves something to eat from the buffet - every time a staff member came near our table we tried to get their attention but failed. I know they had a wedding party that day so a lot of attention seemed to be focused on them. In the end I stood by the entrance to the dining room and waited to get the attention of either the Manager or staff member so that we could order some tea and coffee.

I think overall the Chef seems to not be able to cope under pressure as they had weddings every day that we stayed. The staff in the restaurant both at breakfast and dinner are in need of more hospitality training. The menu could have been changed slightly each evening and the breakfast buffet looked very poor and unappetising. The rooms could do with a bit of a revamp. The mattresses didn't have mattress protectors which I was also really annoyed about. The last blonde receptionist needs to go to charm school as I found her very unfriendly.

4  Thank julesta1
James M, General Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2015

I am extremely disappointed to hear that the experience was not what you expected and did not meet our usual high standards. The hotel has recently undergone some major staff restructuring and additional training has been implemented as a result. I apologise that you did not experience Bartley Lodge Hotel at its best during your stay but do hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove ourselves to you in the future.

Many Thanks

Reviewed 27 August 2015 via mobile

My partner & I stayed for one night (August 25th 2015).
As we arrived to check in, a stray dog was being kept behind reception, resulting in a most unpleasant odour.
We had booked a super, executive family room, and, having stayed in many hotels around the world, expected high standards, not just the fact that gowns & slippers were provided.

The room was in the roof, with a small window and a sky light, which we were unable to cover, so the light poured through waking us up in the morning.
The double bed was the usual 'two singles joined together', which was ok on my side, but sank miserably on my partner's side!
We were made to rush into dinner, as last orders were taken at 8.30pm.
The dining room decor was very tired and desperately needs renovating- especially the worn out carpet!
What a nightmare!! Loads of shouting, screaming kids all over the place, running around, with piles of toys everywhere. We were seated in the supposedly 'quieter' conservatory area, but the window was wide open and it was quite chilly,
Apparently, this was because a child had been sick at the table next to ours, so they were attempting to get rid of the smell...

Dinner was average, and we tried to escape to the lounge to finish our wine, only to be met by even more noisy kids.

The bar area consisted of one table, which was already taken.
We decided to relocate to our very average bedroom- not the 'special deluxe ' room that we were expecting at all.
We had been hoping to take advantage of the pool, but the thought of sharing it with lots of children, and the fact that we would have to walk through public areas in our gowns, decided us against it.
We couldn't face the thought of a rowdy breakfast in a grim dining room, so checked out and had a lovely breakfast in the nearby village of Lyndehurst.
The staff were pleasant, and did their best to be helpful, but all in all, NOT a place we enjoyed, or one that we will be revisiting.
Very disappointing.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L K
Tom P, General Manager at Bartley Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2015

Dear L K

Thank you for taking the time to review you recent visit to us.
I’m disappointed to read that we didn’t meet your expectations and I would like the opportunity to go through these with you. Please contact me on 02380 812248 and I’ll do my best to help.

Reviewed 26 August 2015

This former hunting lodge is in a great location it's got some serious problems though. Firstly the welcome from the blonde receptionist was lukewarm at best rude and brusque at worst. Not a great start. We booked for two nights bed breakfast and dinner. The agister room we had was clean and functional no real issues there. The crown four poster wasn't worth the money and is advertised as 'sleeps 4' however what they neglect to say is two can just about sleep on the smallish wobbly four poster but the other two are on camp beds which are tiny and uncomfortable. We were told that all the family rooms were the same. I.e had two proper beds. The dinner was average at best and the Mortimer arms pub up the road was much better quality.... Not what you expect of a pricy hotel. Again we weren't offered rolls and had to specifically ask for them while we waited. Breakfast was a similar shambles... No one was watching that the hot buffet was replenished and both days there was a shortage of bacon and you could count individual beans! Eggs were ordered at the table but took forever to arrive and were dripping in fat. The only thing they seem ok at was desserts. There are some really nice friendly staff on the bar but the hotel and restaurant are a shambles but I would not consider going back until they get a hotel inspector in to sort this place out.

Room Tip: Don't bother with crown room.
3  Thank MikeSe1

Dear MikeSE1

I am extremely disappointed to read this review and would like to discuss the issues you raise. Please contact me on 02380 812248 and I’ll do my best to help.

Reviewed 25 August 2015

We booked this hotel as a 3 night Room / Breakfast / Dinner package (2 Rooms for the 4 of us) and became a little 'concerned after reading some of the reviews. But we have always done that, it won't happen to us - will it?
Well it did. Unlucky? Possibly.......
Firstly, we are not ones to complain - we, like so many people that read / write reviews on Trip Advisor, are seasoned travelers the world over. But never have we experienced such poor service from a Hotels Restaurant. Ever.
The 'Nice' sounding dishes were all gone by 7.30. We waited over an hour without even being offered so much as bread. It wasn't even that busy. We did speak to restaurant several times to remind them of the fact that we were still there, but no one really cared. Or if they did, they didn't show it.
We did find out that the large family on the table next to us, were in fact the owners of the hotel. But only after we finally 'Snapped' and he came over to calm us down. He did say he was aware of issues in the kitchen due to lack of chefs but also agreed that our treatment was totally unacceptable. Insult to injury was when the food that we had tried to order but was apparently all gone, was brought up to their table.
My wife ended up nearly 2 hour later with some Pasta that chef threw together' quite literally as it was inedible. My son and I had the Burger which was frankly no better.
Dessert was actually quite tasty!
Breakfast the next morning was as bad as the night before, and at that point we just wanted to leave.
It's not all bad - we did end up speaking with Tom, the General Manager, who had already been briefed on our experience. He was apologetic, and also in complete agreement with the poor treatment we had received. He suggested rather than us just go home that we may consider staying the rest of our time at one of his sister hotels and offered to check out was available and make the arrangement if we wanted. Which we did and duly transferred to the Burley.
I really hope this place gets itself sorted out, it's a lovely setting, but with so many other lovely places in the surrounding area it would be difficult to justify even thinking of going here again.
Thanks again Tom for persuading us to stay in the New Forest area instead of just going home. We did end up having a great few days at the Burley.
A full refund was issued to us for this hotel.
Thanks,
Mike.

Room Tip: Go Somewhere Else......
1  Thank Mike C

Dear Mike C

I’m really disappointed to read about your negative time with us. The events you describe are not our usual high standards and for this I sincerely apologise.

I am pleased, however, that after we sat down and discussed your concerns I was able to find alternative accommodation and that you were able to enjoy the rest of your time in the forest.
I hope we will get the chance to prove ourselves to you in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2015

We went to our niece's wedding here and overall had a lovely time. However it did seem at times that the bar and kitchen staff were a little overwhelmed with the number of guests staying at the hotel. We had trouble getting our dinner on the first night despite pre ordering what we wanted and breakfast on the Saturday we left was chaotic! Far too many people arriving at once and they ran out of bacon!! Every time they refilled it, it was immediately taken by people who had been waiting. Also the night before the weidding was very warm and we asked to go outside onto the patio but were told we couldn't cause a wedding party were using it and yet when our wedding party were using it the general public came out too! However, having said this, the staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble.

1  Thank Mandy R

Dear Mandy R

Thank you for reviewing your niece’s special day and I’m really pleased that you enjoyed it. I have taken on board all of your comments but am glad that our staff were friendly and helpful.
I hope we can welcome you back to Bartley Lodge Hotel for more celebrations in the future.

Kind regards