1,089 results
All reviews lovely hotel swimming pool afternoon tea new forest red letter short break cakes peppa pig world wedding venue lovely setting wedding guests relaxing break the general manager beautiful grounds evening meal wedding breakfast family room
Reviewed 23 July 2018 via mobile

I really enjoyed staying in this beautiful hotel the grounds are gorgeous it was a perfect relaxing spot, our room was clean and cosy and the hotel is well kept. The only thing that let down the hotel was the food!! Our first meal was very disappointing considering the price of the food and the beautiful looking menu. I ordered the steak which was hard and dry and my partner ordered the pork cheeks which was tiny and tasteless and we ordered spag bol for our toddler which came out fine basic tomato sauce and spaghetti. My partner and I didn’t bother ordering food for ourselves the next evening to avoid further disappointment but ordered the spag bol again for our toddler unfortunately this time it was a bowl of watery tomato soup (clearly from a can) with spaghetti in it. It was blatantly obvious it was soup and then I heard a waitress telling another table the children’s starter was tomato soup. Overall good but if you are staying here eat elsewhere!!

Reviewed 23 July 2018

As father of the bride stayed for 3 nights and experienced both good and bad service.
Friday night there was another wedding taking place and our party ( 3 tables, 25 people) were asked to pre-order our dinner. Hotel changed booking time, to suit their requirements, and we still had to wait ages for food to arrive - so long that two of our granddaughters got tired and sleepy going to bed without eating. When the meals were delivered there was confusion on the part of the staff and some food wasn't on the table before others had finished eating. One guest started eating and then a member of staff tried to take away her plate saying she was eating the wrong portion! Food was, to be fair, good quality and well cooked and presented but service was dire. Despite a midnight curfew the other wedding party caroused and played loud music till after 1:15am, twice my cousin had to call the night porter to ask for quiet so he could sleep. The excessive heat in the bedrooms meant everyone had windows fully open and had to endure the very very loud farewells, car noises and illicite sexual encounters (really, I kid you not) in the car park. Saturday morning the staff were again trying their best to ruin the stay for everyone with delays and wrong or forgotten orders for breakfast. By now I began to get feedback from other guests who were unhappy with their rooms - dirty towels, stained carpets, dust. The wedding itself was wonderful, and the hotel looked after us well with enough staff and prompt service of quality food, no fault there. After the wedding breakfast the staff repeatedly tried to take away both full unused and pert used bottles of wine that were already paid for and we're the property of the wedding party. Not impressed with that. Our wedding party showed respect for the other guests and there was no repeat of the previous night's disgraceful behaviour. Sunday breakfast not quite as chaotic as Saturday's, clearly the staff had had a talking to, but still not perfect. The hotel was hosting a birthday party on Sunday lunch time and our party was refused ordering from the restaurant menu, only being allowed to order bar snacks. We then tried to retrieve all the flowers from the wedding only to find that only some had been kept safe and others, including the bride's bouquet ( which had great sentimental value as it contained some material belonging to my late uncle) had been unceremoniously dumped without anyone consulting us. Some of the party were checking out and complaining, again, about their rooms and the service. Management were not at all interested. My wife and I were the sole members of our party to stay on Sunday night and decided to dine elsewhere. Monday morning, best service ever - different staff on duty who were warm, friendly and efficient and made breakfast a most enjoyable experience.

In short, good food, some staff excellent, others not, weak management.

Room tip: Ask to be well away from terrace and function room if you want quiet.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

I have just returned from being a guest at a wedding hosted at Barley lodge. Beautiful venue and grounds. Rooms vary quite a lot in size, we were very lucky and had a spacious room away from main dining room and outside space which meant was not disturbed by evening noise. We arrived on Thursday evening and attended a pre booked drinks party arranged by wedding couple. We were invited to order drinks at bar and food. There was only 1 member of staff taking orders and it quickly became apparent it was going to be time consuming. No names or table numbers were taken at time of ordering which meant staff wondered around asking if it was your order. Getting drinks took so long they missed out on a lucrative trade. They must have know pre wedding guests would order food in the evening and This could so easily be sorted with better management and staffing.

The wedding was amazing and at the wedding breakfast staff were attentive and helpful. Food was delicious and a nice easy venue to have for reception. More staff available in evening for drinks although seemed crazy that every time you wanted ice they had to disappear downstairs to get it!

Overall a mixed bag, understaffing before and after wedding left sour taste when you have 50+ guests keen to spend money on food and drink but lost the will to live waiting to order!

Reviewed 18 July 2018

I had read a couple of reviews on this hotel that made me feel a bit wary, but my experience was totally opposite. Had a wonderful time! The place was beautiful. Yes, the carpet is a little worn in places, but it’s not my carpet and it’s a grade 2 listed building. The decor was lovely, really nice atmosphere, gorgeous outside area to sit in the sun and the staff were amazing. They couldn’t do enough for you. Special mention to Milly who was fantastic. Our room was a little warm so we asked for an extra fan and she took 2 up for us and turned them on so our room was nice and cool when we got back. All the little things that they were willing to do just made it a great experience. Food in the restaurant was lovely and portion sizes were ample. The restaurant staff in the evening were young and didn’t always have the answers but they went off and found out and again were just really helpful and cheerful and polite. Our room was gorgeous and ample for what we needed. Nice and clean with a large, comfy sofa to relax on. Plenty of tea and coffee and complimentary water made at the hotel. TV was a bit dated but you don’t stay in a hotel to watch TV. The pool is also ample for a splash around. When I went in there were 5 other guests in there and it wasn’t a problem for space or anything and it was nice and clean. We stayed Monday and Tuesday so appreciate that things weren’t as busy as they could have been which may have contributed to better service as staff were less stretched, but they were still kept very busy. Overall, a really lovely experience, nice and relaxing, with lovely staff. For a 3 star hotel, it was more than adequate. Will definitely go back again!

Room tip: We had a superior modern room on the opposite end to the pool and it was lovely as well as quiet
Reviewed 13 July 2018

A group of 13 of us came here back in May and had a lovely afternoon tea. They catered for many different food allergies and requests without compromising on taste or quality. It was a lovely sunny day so we were sat outside...the grounds are absolutely stunning!
My only bug bear was that some of the cups and cutlery were dirty and smelt of damp. However, this did not detract from a perfectly fine afternoon. Would gladly return!

Date of stay: May 2018