“Spectacular Scones; Extraordinary Service”

Polly's Pantry Tea Rooms
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Four Ladies Who Walk chanced across this old fashioned tea room after a fiercely breezy stroll from Lymington. Lovely greeting from a delightful lady who served cream teas, each with two enormous, delicious scones. Lucky we had decided to share - how could anyone manage to eat both? We were having a fabulous time, gabbing away, whiling away the afternoon, when a strange man marched up to us and snapped: 'we close at 4 you know'. Or something similar. This won't be the first tea room to paradoxically shut at tea time but his rudeness was so outstanding we found it hilarious and dined out on the story for the rest of our holiday. Needless to say, when we ordered, no-one had advised us when the place was closing, and no-one would have minded if we had been asked nicely. I can't click 'terrible service' as the lady was so nice, but be warned!

Nick M, Owner at Polly's Pantry Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank you for your comments. I am that "strange man" and I apologise if my manner caused offence, it was certainly not intended. One is always accused of being defensive in these circumstances and we willingly accept 15 - 20 minutes for customers to complete their visit but time was approaching 4.30 and your group were seemingly oblivious to anything around you. My staff were waiting to clear up and you were the only customers remaining. It doesn't seem unreasonable to point out that we closed 30 minutes previously. We don' t point out our closing time to customers unless it is extremely imminent as this seems unnecessarily negative and treats them as fools when our opening hours are clearly posted on our entrance. Please accept my apologies once again for any offence caused to your group. I am pleased you enjoyed my scones.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Took my 4year old daughter here today. I asked for a sausage roll for her and asked if it'd be ok to have beans with it. The girl said of course would she like chips too (I'd seen on the menu that this particular meal wasn't be served after 2.30) I replied that would be nice but only if you could do a really small portion, the girl said yes that's be fine. She took the order to the kitchen then came back to our table to tell me they'd stopped serving chips at 2.30, but would we still like the beans? I replied yes please. Food was lovely and delivered to us quickly. Halfway through eating we were joined by my mum. She waited so long to be served that she then couldn't have anything as our parking would have run out - not that the waitress ever did offer!!
When it came to paying I then queried the price. The waitress told me it was £5.45 for sausage roll chips and beans. I replied but we didn't have the chips!! She said yea but you asked for the meal. I said that's fine I don't mind paying extra for the beans but that makes them £3 something (sausage roll was £2.25 on the menu)!! She shrugged her shoulders at me and said sorry but stuck to the price. I was most disgruntled by her attitude and told her we wouldn't be coming back. She didn't care, I'd have asked for the manager but we were in a hurry to get back to the car before the parking ran out! £3.20 for beans I've just paid - complete rip off!! So angry the sausage roll was only £2.25!!!

1  Thank Roxicequeen
Nick M, Owner at Polly's Pantry Tea Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2013

Thankyou for your feedback. I must apologise profusely for this misunderstanding. I can assure you that it is never our intention to "rip off" customers, indeeed we pride ourselves on our good value. I am unable to explain the waitress's decision and she has been made aware that any future pricing queries must be referred to me. If you could visit again it would be a pleasure to apologise in person and get ourselves back in your good books!
Nick Morgan

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We popped into this little place for a hot chocolate and a sausage roll and it was delicious! The hot chocolate came out with plenty of cream on top and was very tasty! And you even get the sausage roll warmed up with a salad garnish The window display is full of homemade cakes and biscuits and they all look tasty! The waitress who served us was very friendly so pop in and have a taste!

Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

Went with group if friends in early thirties whilst staying in area. Lovely traditional tea room with excellent cream tea. Scones were huge and great to be given doggie bag so nothing was wasted. Really nice

1  Thank Suzanne M
Reviewed 31 July 2012

If you are driving through Milford on Sea, walking the cliffs in that area or ambling around, looking at local shops, be sure to call in at Polly's Pantry. This is a delightful cake shop and tea rooms, and everything about it is captivating, from the display of tea pots around the cafe to the delicious pastries on sale in the shop and in the cafe. Food is nicely prepared and fresh, service is cheery and all in all it's a must if you are anywhere near Milford on Sea.