“Disappointing!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Beach House Restaurant

The Beach House Restaurant
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, View, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This hotel used to be the Westover Hall
Chelmsford
“Disappointing!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The Beach House was recommended to us while we were on a long weekend break. We checked it out on the Friday we arrived and liked it so much, decided to book a table for the Sunday, especially for a Sunday roast. Our table was booked for 3pm. After a very long bike ride in the new forest on the Sunday morning, my partner and I got ready to go eat, arriving at the Beach House at approx 14:30. We were shown to our table by a lovely young man, only to be told they had run out of roast dinners!!!! At 14:30?? Are you kidding me? To say we were disappointed was an understatement. How can a resaurant of that size run out of food. The waiter couldn't have apologised enough saying they were extremely busy. However there were only two other diners in the restaurant. And they serve food upto 21:00?? We decided to leave as a roast dinner was what we were after. Tip...... Book early (12ish) if it's a Sunday roast your after.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank nikki7042

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Wish it hadnt been taken over”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

It is such a shame that this place has been bought by a pub chain. Our food was rather boring and not great quality. Menu was very standard pub grub. The setting and building are beautiful though. I would recommend visiting for a drink on a warm evening but not for food.

1 Thank sweepydoodles
abingdon
“Our anniversary treat”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I booked the beach house , I emailed them and asked for a bath in the room and to book a table for the evening, didn't get a response but thought ok will ask again on arrival. We arrived at 2pm asked the bar staff if we could check in and was abruptly told no nog till ;3. I then asked if we could order food he asked where we were sitting I said outsideo ge said you can order out there the waiter will come to you, so we brought our drinks and went outside. The waiter came out with another tables food and as he passed I asked to order only to ge told go to the bar! So in I traipse ordered food then waited 35 mins for 2 baguettes to arrive. Our room was beautiful however no bath! We attempted to put on a TV but it wouldn't work my husband went to reception and was told they would send someone. That evening we went to dinner (after having to book a table on check in) we ordered our food ok , had a bottle of wine which was brought to the table , plonked down and not even the screw cap was released !!!!!! The meal itself was ok however the service was appalling there was no organisation as to who was serving which table we couldn't wait to get out. At 10 pm that evening a guy knocked on our door to fix the TV ! Breakfast the next morning was not much better I'm afraid it was like faulty towers it's such a Shame staff training is all it would take one spoilt anniversary weekend for us :(

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
southern england
“Fantastic food in a fantastic setting !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stumbled across this stunning Hotel and restaurant by chance as we walked along the cliff top at Milford on Sea. A little stroll through a footpath leads you to a wonderful garden with raised terrace. A grade II listed mansion with stunning views of the Isle of Wight. We ordered a starter of whitebait and also hand crumbed mushrooms with a garlic dip, followed by chicken escalope wrapped in parma ham with a herb crust and olive and caper sauce. Wow it was fantastic, cooked to perfection. So tasty and fresh, and generous sized portions too. My 4 yr old had chipolatas , she decided to have chunky chips rather than the mash and gravy. The staff were very accommodating and nothing was too much for them. My other half ordered the vegetarian sweet potato burger and loved it. Although a bit of a struggle as it was very large, but they give you the option to have it without the bun.
We ended up returning 3 times for different meals and found every one to be fantastic. I would highly recommend this to everyone, they cater well for all tastes and ages and the staff are very polite and helpful.
They do a great choice in puddings and if you cant decide which one to try they do 6 mini ones so you can try them all !
Good value for money as all of our plates were empty every time . We will be returning very soon.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank moboo
Oxford,united kingdom
“What a surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Very friendly place to go and put your feet up outside and take in the wonderful views, good food great staff great location.

Visited July 2014