“Closed for total renovation till April 2014” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Beach House

The Beach House
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Closed for total renovation till April 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

This lovely hotel, where I spent a week at Christmas, is now closed for a total renovation, a CHANGE OF NAME and a NEW TELEPHONE NUMBER. It has new owners and will be run more as an up-market pub with rooms, I understand.

The stafrf are likely to be the same so hopefully it will be as nice or even nicer than it is now - a lovely place to stay or go for meals. I'm waiting in anticipation!

Room Tip: I'll review again when it reopens. All are different.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank Mary s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Lived up to my expectations having booked my Christmas lunch back in early September, along with an overnight stop. I had delicious scallops wrapped around their sides with bacon and a "lid" of what I think was a circle of crispened ham which just melted in your mouth. The scallops were large and perfectly cooked and the dish was very well presented. For main I had shank of venison with the creamiest mashed potato, beans and braised whole carrot that was beautiful. The meat fell off the bone and the gravy served with it was luscious and flavoursome. I had figgy pudding for dessert and it was proper figgy pudding, tho I think chef thought I needed to put on weight as my portion was enough for two people - but I managed it with some extra custard. A fab Christmas dinner, thank you guys and well done. I found the ambience in the restaurant lovely and was fortunate enough to be in the lightest and my favourite of the two dining rooms. There were diners in the lounge but I wouldnt have liked that as much, Service was excellent and the staff were appropriately friendly, cheerful and professional. A great experience.
My room for my overnight stop was lovely...sadly my stop spoilt a little by not being able to get near the fire in the lounge for one family taking the place over...but hey, its Christmas. My room was large with a fantastic bathroom and views out over the Isle of Wight and the weather allowed me an energetic early evening walk to Hurst Castle along the spit and back. I love this building and it is in need both structurally and aesthetically of a refurb. I look forward to returning to see what's been done when you re-open around April.

Room Tip: I had room 8 which I thought was lovely, with big bay window to front and a window to the side.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chichester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We popped in for lunch today as we were meeting visitors down for the weekend. We didn't have a booking and the restaurant area was full. However we were swifly and cordially accomodated in lounge area. The food was good and staff very friendly and accomodating. A great experience, thank you.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Liss, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We choose this venue for a family boxing day lunch. The atmosphere is attentive, relaxed and friendly and we felt very welcome. We had a good choice of menu and our food was plentiful, nicely presented and delicious. It did have the wow factor. Thank you so much for making this get together "special " and we are very likely to come here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
lymington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

We have known this establishment under previous owners and were never impressed. It is a distinctive building in a cliff-top location. It has much going for it, BUT on the showing of a Christmas meal here recently it will take more than a £1.3 million refurbishment to bring up to the standard of other hotels, pubs and eateries of similar style and nature in this area. The place needed a thorough clean, the food looked and tasted tired, the dining room was cold. Overall, there was a lack of in-house managerial control. It will be interesting to find out next year if the £1.3 million has been well spent Hall and Woodhouse usually do far better than this

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank brianpprice
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We have just been lucky enough to have spent a night at this wonderful hotel, what a find!! It was lovely to find somewhere truly 'dog-friendly', even Lancelot (the resident cat) didn't bat an eyelid at the excitable canine guest that was with us. Jamie and his team provide excellent, courteous service. We were delighted to find we had been upgraded from a standard double to room 5 with sea view - wow! - it is a huge, stunning room and waking to a clear view of the needles the real icing on the cake. We ate our evening meal in the lounge and were very impressed, some of the best 'pub' food we have had in a long time. The buffalo wings in particular were delicious! Breakfast was equally good, served hot with quality ingredients. Certainly the choice of furniture is rather eclectic in some places but this just adds to the charm of such a characterful building. We loved our stay, our only regret was that we hadn't booked for longer, we will definitely be returning post the refurbishment in early 2014 and would highly recommend to any dog owners or dog lovers looking for a top quality 'inn with rooms' in a beautiful location.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

We did not stay- thankfully!
We popped in for a drink. It had been a long week! We sat in the sofas there was one other couple in the room with a dog. Once their food came the dog barked and was fed from the table. The owners seemed unaware of the barking. Eventually we asked if they could stop the dog barking and we were met with abuse. We were told to go and sit else where, but there was no where else! We asked the manager who said it was only a puppy and the hotel is dog friendly.
We have two dogs and travel with them to hotels. They do not disturb other guests. Maybe suggesting 'well behaved dogs' and not puppies would be a consideration in the literature!
We will not pop in for a drink again the whole place lacked atmosphere as it was empty. Maybe 'Hall and Woodhouse' should a little more thoughtful to locals would may have returned, rather than protective of guests with badly behaved dogs and owners.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Morgans369
Hall and W, Guest Relations Manager at The Beach House, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Please accept my apologies for the events you describe. The person you spoke to is a team member and not a manager.

We only allow dogs into the main hall, and lounge areas of the business, and we have a few designated bedrooms that are dog friendly. If any dog was causing a major disturbance to our guests it would be asked to leave with its owners.

I was pleased to hear on investigating this that the team member that dealt with you complimented your drinks as an apology.

Yours sincerely,
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,679 reviews
The Crown Manor House Hotel

Been to The Beach House? Share your experiences!