“Lovely hotel - hit and miss food”
Review of The Beach House

and 1 more site!
The Beach House
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel - hit and miss food”
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Beautiful Botique hotel in a great location overlooking the needles and the isle of wight. Very friendly staff. excelelnt breakfast but food in the Bistro a bit hit and miss. Restaurants aim to be hit provide cutting edge cuisine but need to work a little harder on some of the basics. Some dishes very good others pretty poor.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
beelondonuk
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Fantastic position almost on the beach. Hotel a bit tired inside and service mixed. Breakfast a bit disappointing. But the location has everything you could wish for - a wonderful break from the city.

Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
bournemouth
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I booked for a lunch for four of us on Saturday to celebrate my son and his girlfriends birthday. On arrival we were shown in to the lounge very cosy and warm with a log fire a waiter approched and offered us drinks then we were given the menu,s it was not rushed. When we had ordered we were shown into the restraurant and given a window seat with spectacular views over the isle of wight. The selection of bread was amazing so much so that we all shared each others. The food was the best I have tasted for some time. The piece de resistence was the desserts a work of art . We were amazed at the funky wording of the menu so we had a giggle over the names. When the wiatress came to take our order the waitress was very informative in explaining the dishes. A very memorable day Many thanks to the staff .

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Oxford, England
Reviewed 21 October 2010

It's a long time since we have liked a UK hotel as much as Westover Hall. Lovely situation, lovely building, very comfortable and above all, warm, friendly and efficient people running it - especially the front hall ladies. We enjoyed the food, our suite was spacious and tastefully furnished and the public rooms and garden were welcoming and interesting. It's not cheap but it's definiely value for money and we are already looking forward to another visit

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I took my girlfriend here for a long weekend away around the New Forest. The hotel is exceptionally beautiful. A Victorian lodge overlooking the English Channel and the Isle of Wight. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable with good linen and nice towels and toiletries.

The food in the fine dining restaurant was exceptional. We started the evening in the bar where the barman made us cocktails and was informed when our table was available. We eventually arrived and were met with well presented staff who were friendly and professional. The room was a little quiet for my taste but I realised this was because the diners were all very polite and the quality of the food meant that people ate rather than talked. The wine list was again excellent with a good spread of prices and quality.

During the day you can walk straight out of the rear of the hotel onto a small grass verge before stumbling across a path and then the beach. What more could you want? Wonderful on a breezy Spring morning.

The only criticism of this hotel is the price. Very expensive. But I guess you get what you pay for and it certainly showed in this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I recently got married at the hotel - and having read a couple of the more negative reviews,I feel compelled to stick up for Westover Hall! We booked the whole hotel for the wedding night - whilst a few of us stayed over the night before also - and to say that we had the perfect weekend is an understatement!
Rachel and the rest of the staff were beyond helpful - nothing was too much trouble and we were really made to feel at home. Everyone commented on the beautiful setting and the fabulous decor at the hotel - I certainly disagree with the reviewer who thinks it seemed 'dark and unwelcoming'. The food was out of this world and plentiful - 3 weeks after the wedding and our friends and family are still talking about the mouth watering beef wellington and to-die-for sticky toffee pudding!
But it's the general ambience which makes Westover Hall so special - and I believe that this is largely down to the staff. Our wedding was exactly what we wanted it to be, and we have so many amazing magical memories of spending it there - I really cannot praise this venue enough.
I would not consider myself or my family 'easily pleased' and I am certainly not influenced by how great a place seems to think it is - in my opinion the hotel is wonderful - and we will certainly be returning there for many years to come.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Hampshire
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I took my husband away to Westover Hall for his birthday a couple of weeks ago and was thoroughly disappointed. Having read about the hotel in the Mr & Mrs Smith guide, I was confident it would be good but was left wondering if Mr & Mrs Smith had actually ever visited Westover!
The room we were given initally (the Cooks Room) is situated above the kitchen and as it was a sunny day, staff had left the windows open - unfortunately allowing the extractor fans to blow right into the room. The stench of stale fried food was unbearable (even the member of staff who showed us to our room was clearly embarrassed). Fortunately there was a spare room and we were moved down the corridor.
This second room was better although the bathroom was totally charmless - just a cheap normal size bath with slightly mouldy shower screen, no heating and a luke warm shower. This room was right above the pastry kitchen so when we arrived back at the hotel late afternoon, hoping to relax with the papers before supper, we were disturbed by the radio blaring out from the kitchen below, the staff singing along as they worked and then the industrial mixers as they were preparing dinner. I know kitchens are a necessary part of hotel life but to have a bedroom right above when there was such poor sound-proofing seems like something you might put up with in a budget hotel but not somewhere that charges £300 a night!
The hotel is in a lovely position on the cliffs although I think the website has photographed it very clevery so you don't get to see quite how built up it is - the hotel is surrounded at close quarters by holiday flats and on a very busy road. It has virtually no grounds - all having been sold off to developers, I guess. That said, the beach is lovely and we enjoyed a long walk along the cliffs.
Having put our annoyance at the noise in our room to the back of our minds, we were looking forward to dinner in the restaurant. This was slightly ruined by the musical accompaniment in the form of a loud synthesizer and a young guy singing and playing along to a backing CD whilst we ate - loud 1980's synthesizer music was not exactly the ambience we were hoping for but it was actually quite funny... other guests were similarly amused, some seemed irritated.
Dinner was ok. My starter was fabulous, my main (the cod) fairly tasteless. My husband chose a mediocre starter but had an amazing beef main course. There was a clear lack of staff, we think this was because there was a wedding going on that evening and a couple of diners even ended up fetching their wine themselves from the chiller buckets across the room a couple of times as there were no staff to do it for them and their glasses were standing empty. Not a huge problem, but a bit surprising in what purports to be a top notch restaurant.
What susprised us however were the desserts. We shared a laugh with another couple in the restaurant who were equally bemused by what we called their 'deconstructed' puddings - my husband's Blueberry Cheesecake consisted of a pile of biscuit crumbs, some gelatenous blueberry stodge and several blobs of brightly coloured paste dotted around his plate. It looked absolutely stunning, like a work of art but it tasted awful. There was absolutely nothing satisfying about it.
My pudding of Roasted Banana was equally baffling. Yes, the banana had been roasted but was then chilled and served cold and soggy. It was presented with the most delicious ice cream I have eatan but then sadly topped off with what the menu described as a 'beer foam' - I hadn't realised they meant this literally but yes, it was actally the foam from the top of a pint of beer. Utterly disgusting and inedible (apart form the ice cream!). We discussed how awful the puds were with another couple who were also eating desserts and who were also dismayed by what they had been given. When asked by a waiter how everthing was, they said they were disappointed and explained why. The waited then proceeded to tell them that the pastry chef likes to divide opinion; he doesn't believe in being mediocre and would 'rather create a dish that some people love and some people hate' than make a crowd pleaser.
I was stunned - surely, being a chef is about making food that satisfies people - particualry when it comes to desserts? To be charged £7 or £8 for something you may like but may well find inedible seems entirely inapporpriate and actually rather dishonest. The waiter told us the pastry chef had worked with Heston Blumenthal and was an 'artist'. When pushed, he also admitted he was a rather difficult man and had a large ego... I got the impression they were also a bit scared of him and that our comments would not be passed on. There was certainly no attempt made by management staff to find out more about our dissatisfaction or to try and recompense us in any way. Again not something you would expect in a hotel of this kind.
So, sorry Westover Hall but we won't be returning. If you were charging £150 per night, we may not have been quite so disappointed but to be charging the big money and yet to fall so short of the standards set by other fantastic hotels in the Big League really isn't on. We were left with the general impression that Westover Hall Hotel has delusions of grandeur... perhaps it was great once upon a time. I'm wondering if those people whose reviews were positive have been blinded by the fact Westover thinks itself so great - I can't help thinking that anyone who scrached below the surface a little would see its true colours and like us, be moved to rant!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cottage Lodge Hotel
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
The Crown Manor House Hotel
The Master Builder's House Hotel

Been to The Beach House? Share your experiences!