“Excellent food, great atmosphere”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Unfortunately we were just too late for the Sunday roast dinner deal but ordered lasagne instead. It was excellent ... very tasty and well presented. There was a pianist playing songs which we oldies could sing along to. It all made for a very enjoyable experience and I am sure we will pop back from time to time.

1  Thank Paul C

Reviewed 11 January 2014

Had two evening meals at this pub. The first night chicken curry, amazing. Went back the second night and had, you guessed it, chicken curry again. This has to be one of the best curries I've had. Friendly staff, good service and a good car park out the back. Will definitely go back, and maybe order..a chicken curry!!!

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Arrived at the pub just after a large table had ordered 55 minutes after ordering overcooked whitebait followed by a fatty plate of meat topped by a precooked pastry sheet. Ugh! When we paid the lady behind the bar apologised for the wait. The only saving grace was a fine selection of ales.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Ate here on 16th Oct 2013. Very friendly Proprietor's, good atmosphere. Food very good - try their Steak & Ale Pie, tasty, veg cooked to perfection. B-B-Q Ribs not bad either. Plus very dog friendly.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This charming old inn has recently changed landlords after a very sad illness befell the previous incumbents. I visited on a Sunday lunchtime at 2.15pm when the place was disturbingly quiet for a glorious sunny day. I ordered two meals and then asked for 2 glasses of soda water - after being served I was asked for £2. I greeted this with complete astonishment whereupon the new landlord said that they had "to pay for gas". I pointed out that all local establsihments offer soda water free of charge and the cost of gas must be absolutely infinitessimal for 1 glass of soda water. BUT I then said that as there was notoitfication of such an enormous and extraordinary charge that I would have 2 glasses of tap water. He said that would be 50p a glass. I enquired whether that was not illegal and he said the problem with this business was rude customers!!! He then said that if it was such an issue that I could have them. His wife then intervened and said that I must pay for them.

Anyway, we had lunch. Roast pork was lacklustre with no crackling. Piri-piri chicken was nice, quite moist, but rice was hard. Puding was included with the Roast for £10. Otherwise I would have been most displeased at £4.95 for a very small slice of apple pie with tepid tinned custard.

Last orders for lunch was 3pm. The pubs either side (The Beach House and Smugglers Inn) sell food all day, every day.

Apparently, the new landlord has no experience of the trade. Unless he makes drastic changes to his attitude and the way he runs this pub he will not last long. That would be a great shame as this is a very long established and good locals pub.

1  Thank Localityenthusiast