“EXCELLENT ALL INCLUSIVE WEEKEND AWAY”

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Sutton
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We have visited quite afew mercure hotels over the last 2 years as a group of friends. chester woodhey is a fantastic hotel with an even more fantastic offer on the all inclusive. On The last visit the hotel has gone through a refurbishment to a very high standard. The rooms are small but just what you require for a short break away. Very very clean and fresh. The one thing that makes this and like all mercure hotels is the friendliness of the staff. the food is always of a very high standard. If you do have a fault which is rare the staff and management are more than willing to help.
I recently paid for my parents ( who believe me are very hard to please!! ) an all inclusive package to the same hotel and they had a fantastic time and have now decided to book another trip away with friends in a mercure hotel......
great value for money, great hotels and great staff. Especially tina the deputy manager at woodhey she has always been a star when we have visited!!

Room Tip: always book an all inclusive. Usually the same price for a bed and breakfast package.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirlthegirl43
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your fantastic feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future.

I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the staff and service. Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

First of all may I say that we are not pernickety type of people generally and very rarely complain about anything..
My husband and I stayed here 2 years ago on an All Inc deal (2 nights for £79) and enjoyed it. So we booked again and invited our friends to join us.
The majority of staff were very friendly. The receptionist who greeted us for check in was very helpful and informative, although our room wasn't ready when we arrived.
We were given vouchers to present, in order to have soup and sandwiches for lunch while we were waiting to get into our rooms.
There was a wedding party in the hotel and the most of the party were in the bar area. We managed to battle our way through them to the entrance to the restaurant and found the table where there were 4 curled up cheese sandwiches, semi-covered in clingfilm, on a platter. The waitress standing behind the table seemed to be unable to communicate any sort of welcome and just stared at us blankly. We managed to coax words out of her by enquiring about the flavour of the soup. I asked if I could have some of the soup, so she ladled some into a bowl and handed it to me. I then had to ask if it would be ok to sit anywhere in the restaurant. To which she replied "You can't sit in here. You'll have to go in the bar with that" I explained that there were no seats in the bar so maybe we would wait until the wedding party had gone into a function room for their meal before we had our lunch. To which she replied, "this station will be closed by the time they go for their meal"... so I carried my bowl of soup into the bar area in an attempt to find somewhere to sit. During this time, my husband and friends were enquiring about the sandwiches. The waitress said that 'chef' was making some more and rolled her eyes. Luckily a couple, who were also staying at the hotel on the All Inclusive deal, had just finished their lunch and offered us their seats. Then I realised I didn't have a spoon and had to go back and ask the waitress again. There weren't any of those available either, so she had to return to the kitchen again..she was not a happy bunny! By the time the four of us sat down to have lunch my soup was cold, the coffee was lukewarm and we'd been told by the waitress, on no uncertain terms, that we were only allowed 4 sandwiches each! A great start to our weekend break...Great customer service!
Later we decided to go to the Leisure Centre but when we got there we couldn't get in without a code for the door so one of us had to return to reception to get it. The pool was lovely and warm although the water was a little murky and smelt a bit 'toiletty', particularly at one end. The steam room was out of order and we had to use the phone by the pool to ask a member of staff to come and switch the sauna on.
Our rooms were very pleasant and clean and the beds were very comfortable. Although there was a problem with lack of hot water in my friend's room. Apparently this was because the hotel rooms were all full so they had to wait for the tank to fill up!
The food in the restaurant on both evenings was adequate, and the majority of waiting staff were friendly and attentive.
The worst service we experienced however, was on the 2nd morning of our stay. As you walk into the restaurant there is a sign requested that you wait to be seated. We waited for 10 minutes, watching the waiting staff run around like headless chickens. There were plenty of spare tables to sit at, but there weren't enough staff to clean them and there appeared to be no management of duties whatsoever. Waiting staff passed by us several times (by then there were about 10 people waiting behind us) but not one of them acknowledged that we were waiting, or apologised for the delay.
When we eventually got seated there was a constant queue at the hot buffet table as different items ran out over and over again. As soon as the bacon was replenished, the sausages or hash browns ran out etc.
It's a real pity that lack of staff and management caused these problems, both for the staff and the guests. A little more attention to detail would have made this a very pleasant stay.

1  Thank Suzanne H
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

We always welcome and appreciate our guest reviews and we learn from them all.

We do not like to have unhappy guests at any time although thankfully as you can see it is rare. Clearly we got the lunch service wrong and need to review our procedure when there is a large wedding on. We endeavor to ensure all our guests have an enjoyable stay in a comfortable environment with friendly and bubbly staff and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel.

Your feedback is very much appreciated and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed two nights on an all inclusive basis, following an offer received from Travel Zoo.
Highly recommended and would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone.
Reception Staff very good, initially given a room on the 2nd floor but when we found the lift not working they changed our room to a ground floor one as my wife is recovering from a recent knee operation.
Evening meals were very good but the choice was limited on the deal, service on the 2nd night was slower than the 1st, recommend that you make a booking to ensure you get the correct service.
Did not try the lunch as we went out and about.
As commented by others the breakfast choice is limited as no pastries and not much fruit but fresh hot food was bought out regularly.
Our bedroom had a huge double bed and one single bed so there was plenty of space but there was very little drawer space.
We used the pool and the sauna once, not huge but if you get a chance have a little relax, the steam room was not working but there was no sign to say so.
We explored both Chester & Liverpool while staying. We drove into Chester on the 1st day while travelling to the hotel and then got the train to Liverpool from Little Sutton station, 2 miles down the road, only £5.00 return on the train, very convienent.

1  Thank GoonerNeil

What a wonderful review! It is always great to receive feedback about the team delivering excellent customer service, as we spend a lot of time training our team about exceeding guest expectations.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

we have justarrived home after having 3 nights here. 2 on all inclusive and 1 b&b .lovely airy room very near restaraunt &reception.perfect for us . we had a lovely time food was good. reception staff very attentive. one waitress worked really hard.pity the steam room wasnt working.rooms were spotless & plenty of towels . only comment i think beds should have mattress covers. excellent value . def recomend .

1  Thank gemgemcumbria
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel, we greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to maintain our high standards in the future.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed at this hotel on an all-inclusive deal and were very pleased with the hotel and particularly the staff, who (apart from one lady who served the drinks in the dining-room and was very miserable) went out of their way to be helpful and cheerful. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the pool (lovely and warm!) and sauna were excellent, and the food in the resaurant was tasty and good.
Perhaps my only comments would be like others that a pot of coffee at beakfast would be better than a cup - we did get a pot one morning and then a cup the next! Also more fruit at breakfast - there were whole apples etc but there were slices of melon one morning which was nice, then nothing the next.
All in all, excellent value - well placed for visiting Liverpool (definitely recommend), the Wirral and Chester.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

I would like to thank you for choosing the Mercure Chester North for your recent stay and for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit.

We greatly appreciate your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Well, where to start? I guess with the negatives and then finish on a positive note..........

* Had a inkling that all was not going to be alright with this trip from the beginning. Booked 2 night all-inclusive stay with Travelzoo thro' Hotelshop for mine & my friend's joint birthday. Two days before we were due to arrive, I rang the hotel to double-check our booking like I usually do with any hotel. Imagine my surprise when I was told by the receptionist Tracey that she had no record of my booking!! She suggested I ring Hotelshop, which I duly did. They said they'd sent confirmation to the hotel back in April and that it was their error, but they would re-fax my booking over to the hotel and then call them back in approx 5 mins. On ringing them back, I thought I'd ask for a room upgrade and early check-in from 12noon due to the hotel making this mistake & nearly giving me a heart attack. She said no problem to both.

* Which leads me to the next problem encountered..........
On arrival at 12.20pm, we were told that the room wasn't available! And wouldn't be until 2pm!! So we had to sit around in the bar/lounge area for 1 hr 40 mins. I have terminal cancer and was tired/achey after the journey, hence the reason for asking for an early check-in to take advantage of a fuller day after resting on arrival. As you can imagine, was not best pleased and it didn't get the break off to a good start at all.

* Whilst waiting we did have the free lunch - luke warm vegetable soup & a barely edible sandwich wrap. Which leads me onto the next problem - the food!!...........

On first viewing the menu, we thought it looked quite good. And the first night it was! My friend had the Pot Roasted Beef with Dauphinois Potatoes and it was delicious! No veg tho. I chose Belly Pork with Mash Potatoe which was tasty. It was served with red cabbage which unfortunately I don't like, so we decided to order a side order of veg each - £2.50 each. We were kind of expecting carrots, brocoli & cauliflower (you know, the usual kind of thing), but instead we were given peas in their pods, mini-corn on cob and boiled new potatoes! Neither of us like any of that either so a complete waste of money and meant that we were still hungry.

* The next night, we had both decided to have the Pot Rasted Beef and were looking forward to it, but were surprised to find it was no longer on the menu (they change one item for the weekend - and that was the one they changed - to bangers & mash!) I ordered the Chicken Tikka Masala which was luke warm & was swimming in grease! Disgusting!
Our waitress (Francis) did not ask what was the matter with my food, she just took it away. Mind you, it took her all her time to speak anyway and a smile was definitely out of the question. A very unfriendly person and has no idea whatsover about customer service.
My friend had Vegetable Noodles - minus the vegetables - unbelievable!!

* Breakfast was ok, but no great shakes, I've definitely had better. Again the cooked food was only luke warm. My friend ordered scrambled eggs - well I've never seen anything like it in my life before - it was like tiny yellow rabbit droppings - very strange indeed! The toast isn't fresh and bought to your table, it on the buffet and was cold!

* Air-conditioning................. there is none! Anywhere! So it's an extremely hot hotel. The window in the room only opened about 3 inches. Thankfully it was only 20 degrees when we stayed and it was just bearable. I would hate to have stayed there when it was any hotter. TIP: In the restaurant, ask to sit at the very front near the buffet bar opposite a side door as this can be opened and gives some relief from the heat in there.

Warning - this hotel is nowhere near Chester - a good 20 minute drive. Wasn't a problem for us as we had a car, however, talking to some other guests they were told that they would have to take a bus, then a train and then another bus to get to there as believe it or not the train station isn't in the centre of Chester! We overheard the receptionist telling them this, so offered them a lift as we had space. Glad to have helped as that would've been a right pain.

Onto the positives now:.......................

* Swimming pool - quite big, lovely and warm. (few holes in the ceiling mind).

* Drinks inclusive deal - very good (altho having to sign every time you ordered more was a pain in the neck when in the middle of eating your meal)

* Room was average size but spotless. The bed was also lovely & comfy - kingsize too!! It had been refurbished. Room 314 if you get the chance to choose!

* Staff: Apart from Francis, the staff were fantastic - very friendly, chatty and helpful - couldn't do enough for us. Special mentions to Lucy and in particular Prakit in the restaurant (lovely lady), along with Amy on reception. They are a credit to the hotel and made our stay. Can't empasis enough the importance of good customer service with a cheery smile, it counts a lot.

In summary:
Thoroughly enjoyed our time actually in Chester, would go back again. But definitely not to this hotel, mainly because of the food! The Chefs need changing!

Room Tip: Get an upgrade to an Exec Room - 314 was fine - would hate to see the standard rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

I was surprised to read these comments regarding the food you received during your stay. As you will see from other reviews, this is not our normal standard and I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Reviewed 22 August 2011

This was a good deal, comfortable clean room. Friendly staff, from front of house to cleaners. Good food Good value.

A relaxing break.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments following your recent experience with us recently. I am delighted that the team looked after you so well. I do hope you had a great stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Sutton
Woodcote Hotel
#4 of 6 in Ellesmere Port
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Wirral (Two Mills) Hotel

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!