“easter break”

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Sutton
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Clean comfortable hotel, staff very welcoming and friendly, good breakfast , had dinner one night and it was reasonable for what we paid. We went to both Liverpool and Chester by train, trains run quite frequent and the station is only about a 15 min walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay here at the Mercure Chester North. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Due to a health problem, we wanted a stress-free weekend and the hotel’s all-inclusive deal seemed exactly what we were looking for. We’d taken advantage of this deal last year in Hull and had an absolutely wonderful time!

As others have commented, the hotel is very well located for day trips to Liverpool and Chester (especially if you take the train for £4.80, which stops just round the corner) – the trains are very frequent – even on a Sunday they go every 15 minutes to Liverpool.

On arrival, we had a warm welcome from reception and during lunch (soup and a sandwich), the receptionist gave us a map she’d printed off showing a short cut to Cheshire Oaks – it takes around 10 minutes and goes straight to the multi-storey carpark, missing the queues we saw on the motorway. We only had lunch on one day as it was too far to come back for a bit of soup/sandwich. Another guest told us how they’d asked for some sandwiches to take out with them, but they were told that there was a wedding that night so they didn’t want to upset the chef!

We stayed in room 105 on the ground floor over looking the carpark – the room was very clean and more than adequate – and well away from any noise. The free wifi worked perfectly in our room and was easy to connect. And the feather pillows were quickly replaced.

Our first night went smoothly enough, I imagine that a wine connoisseur would struggle with the house wine, but being included in the package from 7-11, we managed, and were more bothered about having a nice relaxing stay than drinking ourselves silly!

For our meal, I started with a lovely chicken/chorizo/fig salad which in hindsight was a main portion rather than a starter, causing some confusion on the second night. My husband had the beetroot infused gravadlax, which was wonderful. The waitress was lovely, and said that the braised beef had much more meat on than the lamb cutlets, so was glad to take her advice. We then spent a lovely evening talking to other guests.

Breakfast is standard fayre - buffet style, and you can certainly fill up for the day ahead.
After a wonderful mooch around Chester, we got back to the hotel – we didn’t use the swimming pool as it doesn’t have a jacuzzi, and that’s our favourite bit, but had a rest and a cuppa and went to dinner.

Unfortunately, that’s when the “fun” started. It took three attempts to get our starter right (somehow there was prosciutto on my pescatarian husband’s mozzarella salad), then I got a fig salad. Then my main turned up. It can only be described as a lump of coal, rather than maple topped pork belly. I do wish I’d have taken a photo! When I sent it back, the waitress said “oh, the chef says it’s supposed to be like that”! By now, I’d told my husband to tuck in to his vegetarian hotpot (which was apparently very nice). I decided to have a steak. When it came, I was asked if I’d like some sauce. What have you got? “Well, we’ve got ketchup” was the answer! I suggested mustard might be a better choice, which was brought immediately! But we did see two Russians putting ketchup on their steaks the next night, must be a Merseyside thing! The steak was very nice and by that time, I was glad to have anything!

We then went back through to the bar and it took a very long time to get served - the wedding guests were coming through to the public bar, as their bar was understaffed. However, seeing everyone in their finery added to the atmosphere, so we didn’t mind too much. At 10.30, I went to the bar to make sure we had a last drink before 11. After waiting for around 10 minutes, I said to the bartender “any chance of being served?”, to which he replied “get off my case, you’re doing my head in” then “you’ve been causing trouble in the restaurant all night as well”!

Wanting to have a stress free weekend, I simply went to reception and let them know and calm down! To be honest, I felt very sorry for the reception staff as they were so good, as really there was little that could have been said or done to make this right! We were very uneasy the next morning, and no real attempt at an apology came even when I brought it up when I got back – the only thing I could do was to ensure that member of staff wouldn’t be there again during our stay. When checking out, we were told that the member of staff has been sacked, and to be honest, I take no comfort in knowing that. As much as he wasn’t the friendliest person, he was there at breakfast, then due to a shortage of staff, found himself running a busy bar on his own the same evening, so I can see why he was stressed, and I was in the firing line. Would we go back? I doubt it. It’s such a shame, as apart from the meal and “that incident”, the hotel was fine, we had a lovely weekend exploring Chester and Liverpool, and it was very nice to have a very convenient base and not be looking around for somewhere to eat in the evening.

Room Tip: Room 105 is on the ground floor, away from the function rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologise that we fell short of your expectations on this occassion. I am very dissappointed to read your comments regarding the service in the restaurant and in particular a staff member being impolite within our bar area as these are deeply concerning and this is something that cannot be tolerated at any level.

I will perosnally follow this up with the staff and managers concerned as there is clearly a need for an attitudinal change to take place here, and I will work with the team to ensure the necessary resource is in place to effect this change.

Once again my sincere apologies and I do hope you will give us another chance in the future to restore your faith in our hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Just back from a 3 day Easter break at the Chester North Hotel, it was a very friendly centrally positioned hotel for getting around. The staff very nice. Reception guy Matthew very informative and helpful. Its easy to go by train into Liverpool or drive into Chester there are free car parking after 3pm. Very good place to eat in Chester is the Lock Keepers on the river good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the staff and service.

Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Great value for money, very clean, 3 course 3 menu not enough served on plate, breakfast can not fault plenty of choice and no restrictions. A little out of the way but for the price in some of the hotels in chester I certain would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

First impressions of the room were good - spacious and very clean. The only criticism was the shower which was rather weak.
The location was OK and the plus for us was a CAMRA listed pub in the next village (Childer Thornton) just a 15 minute walk away. The White Lion does extremely good value pub grub and a superb range of real ales (£32 for 5 pints plus 2 main courses and a pudding).
The biggest 'downer' by a long way was the noise from the disco. 50% of the rooms overlook the back of the hotel and the central bar/amenity area. We assume this is where the entertainment was based. Even being on the top floor made no difference, you could hear the songs very clearly. Saturday night is probably the reason but something to bear in mind.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank CambridgeClimber

I would like to thank you for choosing the Mercure Chester North for your recent stay and for taking the time to provide feedback on your visit. I appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely night away from our arrival we were met with smiles and lunch! Family room is very spacious 4 beds excellent! Clean modern and lovely bathroom. Staff were attentive in every possible way from there smiles to the excellent service showed at all times. They were welcoming and made our stay very enjoyable. Food is beautiful top quality 2 course evening meal fantastic options to choose, 4 hour bar ( larger bitter wine or draught soft drinks) what more can you ask for? Breakfast is beautiful again top quality. Yum! Staff again very attentive and make you feel so welcome. From previous reviews regarding staff we had no problems from reception to cleaners waiting on and bar staff were lovely always smiling and couldn't do enough for us. We will definitely be going again fab value for money and great hotel keep it up woodhey xx

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank indigostarfish

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Mercure Chester North. I am pleased you had a wonderful experience at our hotel as we aim and work hard to deliver a personal level of service and positive comments, such as yours, are a great motivator for the team.

Once again many thanks

Reviewed 17 March 2013

Just returned this evening having had a lovely weekend at the Woodhey House Hotel,as a birthday present, I must admit I was very apprehensive after reading some of the reviews. The weekend was on an all inclusive special offer worth every penny. The room was spacious, we had been upgraded to a sup double the facilities were all and more than we expected. The staff were all very helpful the food lovely and the waitress whos name was ? Patkat a Thia girl, couldnt do enough for us made us feel very welcome. I cant fault anything well done to everyone !! Had a great weekend spent the day in Liverpool easy to get to by train from the hotel, taxi to station £4 would recommend this deal to anyone.
Thanks again to all the staff for a most enjoyable stay .

Room Tip: Try to ask for an upgrade to a sup double as the standard are much smaller
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

May I take the opportunity of thanking you for your comments in relation to your stay with us here at the Mercure Chester North Hotel. It is always very pleasing to receive such positive feedback and your comments will be passed on to the team here at the hotel.

I look forward to welcoming back again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Sutton
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
#2 of 6 in Ellesmere Port
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!