“Good Value”

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Sutton
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Very hard to find this hotel. Apparently a new housing estate has been built since the Sat Nav post code was given to the hotel. You will eventually find the hotel. Clean hotel, and good value for money for an overnight stay in the Liverpool area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Trip Advisor, I was delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed as a family in a double plus single bed.(the double more like 6ft bed lovely) Our greeting when we arrived was very warm and helpful. I am a coeliac and was able to take my own cereal to breakfast,however was assured they could have catered for me if I wanted.Hubby and daughter thoroughly enjoyed breakfast. We used our Avios points for our 3 day stay. Our daughter is only 6 and thoroughly enjoyed the pool. Made our holiday really relaxing as she has just learnt to swim. The pool was very warm and often we had it to ourselves. Our room was on the ground floor really close to the leisure area. Very clean and comfortable,our room was cleaned everyday we were there. Lots of tea and coffee etc replenished every day.
Great location for outlet and chester we went to Collesium by Chester Oaks to eat each night. As only 10- mins drive away,TGI fridays,Prezzo,Nandos,Millers etc. Even a cinema and bowling here.
Only slight negative for Hotel was the fire alarm at 5.20am on our last day, which thankfully was a false alarm caused by the steam from a kettle-not ours!! Not very nice woken from deep sleep frantically rushing to get family out. Then having to calm 6 yr old daughter down.. However on reflection added fun value. And most exciting part for daughter. All she has told family about on our return-the fire bell in the night..

Room Tip: we were on ground floor right y the pool. Convenient if you will use the facilities.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 49NicolaT
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review of the Mercure Chester North for our future guests, I was delighted to read that you and your family had a wonderful experience however I would like to apologise for the sudden wakeup call from our fire alarms

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed here on an all-inclusive deal with a girlfriend, It was really well located for getting to Liverpool and Chester (we chose Chester!).

We used the pool, steam room and sauna and although they were alright there wasn't much atmosphere.

Our room was clean and tidy if a little warm at night. The bathroom was lovely. Clean, specious and modern.

As part of an all-inclusive deal the meals were lovely. Breakfast was ample. The evening meal was great. The best service we had all weekend was from a lovely woman in the restaurant called Prakit. She was there morning and night and she was always so smiley and friendly.

Main critical feedback would be that there just didn't seem to be enough staff on. More than once we waited quite a while for a drink at the bar. Also, there wasn't really an atmosphere in the hotel and bar- just Sky News on. I imagine if there's a crowd of you then you'd make your own atmosphere. My friend and i made a beeline to a local pub with a band on after the free bar ended. Overall though we thought the all inclusive deal was brilliant value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

May I take the opportunity of thanking you for your comments in relation to your stay with us here at the Mercure Chester North Hotel. It is always pleasing to receive positive feedback and your comments will be passed on to the team here at the hotel.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming back again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Clean comfortable hotel, staff very welcoming and friendly, good breakfast , had dinner one night and it was reasonable for what we paid. We went to both Liverpool and Chester by train, trains run quite frequent and the station is only about a 15 min walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay here at the Mercure Chester North. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Due to a health problem, we wanted a stress-free weekend and the hotel’s all-inclusive deal seemed exactly what we were looking for. We’d taken advantage of this deal last year in Hull and had an absolutely wonderful time!

As others have commented, the hotel is very well located for day trips to Liverpool and Chester (especially if you take the train for £4.80, which stops just round the corner) – the trains are very frequent – even on a Sunday they go every 15 minutes to Liverpool.

On arrival, we had a warm welcome from reception and during lunch (soup and a sandwich), the receptionist gave us a map she’d printed off showing a short cut to Cheshire Oaks – it takes around 10 minutes and goes straight to the multi-storey carpark, missing the queues we saw on the motorway. We only had lunch on one day as it was too far to come back for a bit of soup/sandwich. Another guest told us how they’d asked for some sandwiches to take out with them, but they were told that there was a wedding that night so they didn’t want to upset the chef!

We stayed in room 105 on the ground floor over looking the carpark – the room was very clean and more than adequate – and well away from any noise. The free wifi worked perfectly in our room and was easy to connect. And the feather pillows were quickly replaced.

Our first night went smoothly enough, I imagine that a wine connoisseur would struggle with the house wine, but being included in the package from 7-11, we managed, and were more bothered about having a nice relaxing stay than drinking ourselves silly!

For our meal, I started with a lovely chicken/chorizo/fig salad which in hindsight was a main portion rather than a starter, causing some confusion on the second night. My husband had the beetroot infused gravadlax, which was wonderful. The waitress was lovely, and said that the braised beef had much more meat on than the lamb cutlets, so was glad to take her advice. We then spent a lovely evening talking to other guests.

Breakfast is standard fayre - buffet style, and you can certainly fill up for the day ahead.
After a wonderful mooch around Chester, we got back to the hotel – we didn’t use the swimming pool as it doesn’t have a jacuzzi, and that’s our favourite bit, but had a rest and a cuppa and went to dinner.

Unfortunately, that’s when the “fun” started. It took three attempts to get our starter right (somehow there was prosciutto on my pescatarian husband’s mozzarella salad), then I got a fig salad. Then my main turned up. It can only be described as a lump of coal, rather than maple topped pork belly. I do wish I’d have taken a photo! When I sent it back, the waitress said “oh, the chef says it’s supposed to be like that”! By now, I’d told my husband to tuck in to his vegetarian hotpot (which was apparently very nice). I decided to have a steak. When it came, I was asked if I’d like some sauce. What have you got? “Well, we’ve got ketchup” was the answer! I suggested mustard might be a better choice, which was brought immediately! But we did see two Russians putting ketchup on their steaks the next night, must be a Merseyside thing! The steak was very nice and by that time, I was glad to have anything!

We then went back through to the bar and it took a very long time to get served - the wedding guests were coming through to the public bar, as their bar was understaffed. However, seeing everyone in their finery added to the atmosphere, so we didn’t mind too much. At 10.30, I went to the bar to make sure we had a last drink before 11. After waiting for around 10 minutes, I said to the bartender “any chance of being served?”, to which he replied “get off my case, you’re doing my head in” then “you’ve been causing trouble in the restaurant all night as well”!

Wanting to have a stress free weekend, I simply went to reception and let them know and calm down! To be honest, I felt very sorry for the reception staff as they were so good, as really there was little that could have been said or done to make this right! We were very uneasy the next morning, and no real attempt at an apology came even when I brought it up when I got back – the only thing I could do was to ensure that member of staff wouldn’t be there again during our stay. When checking out, we were told that the member of staff has been sacked, and to be honest, I take no comfort in knowing that. As much as he wasn’t the friendliest person, he was there at breakfast, then due to a shortage of staff, found himself running a busy bar on his own the same evening, so I can see why he was stressed, and I was in the firing line. Would we go back? I doubt it. It’s such a shame, as apart from the meal and “that incident”, the hotel was fine, we had a lovely weekend exploring Chester and Liverpool, and it was very nice to have a very convenient base and not be looking around for somewhere to eat in the evening.

Room Tip: Room 105 is on the ground floor, away from the function rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to personally apologise that we fell short of your expectations on this occassion. I am very dissappointed to read your comments regarding the service in the restaurant and in particular a staff member being impolite within our bar area as these are deeply concerning and this is something that cannot be tolerated at any level.

I will perosnally follow this up with the staff and managers concerned as there is clearly a need for an attitudinal change to take place here, and I will work with the team to ensure the necessary resource is in place to effect this change.

Once again my sincere apologies and I do hope you will give us another chance in the future to restore your faith in our hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Just back from a 3 day Easter break at the Chester North Hotel, it was a very friendly centrally positioned hotel for getting around. The staff very nice. Reception guy Matthew very informative and helpful. Its easy to go by train into Liverpool or drive into Chester there are free car parking after 3pm. Very good place to eat in Chester is the Lock Keepers on the river good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the staff and service.

Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Great value for money, very clean, 3 course 3 menu not enough served on plate, breakfast can not fault plenty of choice and no restrictions. A little out of the way but for the price in some of the hotels in chester I certain would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Sutton
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
#2 of 6 in Ellesmere Port
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!