“Room for improvement.”

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Sutton
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights as I had been given a voucher which could be redeemed against different items, so I chose this hotel as we wanted to visit Liverpool and the local area.

Our room (231) smelt musty but it was clean and tidy, and we spent the rest of that day in Liverpool.

The first major problem arose the following morning. The adjoining door we had in our room (connecting us to 230) was just one thin door, so all sounds made by the people next door carried through. Two men woke us up at 6:30am talking loudly, using the foulest language you've ever heard and letting off bodily functions. As we had planned to sleep-in until 8:30/9:00 you can imagine we were pretty annoyed at being woken up by this!

I spoke to reception about it and the girl was very apologetic and assured me they were checking out that day so it wouldn't happen again the next morning. She offered to switch our rooms but we only had one night left and upon check-in we were told us the hotel was fully booked that weekend so it would have meant some other poor unsuspecting person getting the rooms with the adjoining door!

Good points:
- reception staff were efficient
- breakfast staff were friendly and helpful
- good price
- handy location for going between Liverpool and Chester
- nice big shower

Bad points:
- musty smell in our room
- adjoining door that lets ALL sounds carry through between rooms
- the toast at breakfast was pre-toasted so it was always cold. Let people toast their own!
- bacon not great
- no decaf tea

We would stay again if we needed to stay in the area as the prices are very reasonable but we would avoid rooms 230/231!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for your commentsin relation to your recent visit to the hotel. I would like to apologise that your stay didnt quite live up to expectation on this occasion. I do however take on board your comments in relation to breakfast as we are always looking at ways in which we can improve

Once again thank you

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This review is only based on a meal and not on hotel stay! We were 1 of only 2 tables on a Saturday night. My opinion was that there was no atmosphere (apart from the talking and laughing at the tables) There was background music played so quietly the songs could not be heard. The lighting was not dimmed to create any warmth and with breakfast tables already set and cereal packets on display, I wondered if we were welcome. The service was slow. A table of fourteen, when the order was taken one guest was told no the main course of their choice could not be ordered as the person who had just ordered (the host) had just "got" the last one! The starters arrived and cleared and then the main course started to arrive. Then there was a lull, nothing! 10 main courses served. Then nothing. An omelette and 3 missing steaks! (Steaks at a £6.00 supplement!) It was agreed that those served should eat! One person had also added additional veg' which was assumed to be missed from order turned up as the main of mash mountain and chicken had almost been finished. Desert menus were asked for but it was decided we would not bother as the staff clearly wanted to get off!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

I would like to thank you for the feedback with regards your meal experience here in our hotel restaurant. Having read your feedback I can only imagine your disappointment and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the length of time taken to receive your meals and the slow service provided.

I have discussed the points raised with both our Restaurant Manager and Head Chef, and as a result we have taken the necessary steps to ensure that similar issues will not be repeated in the future.

Once again I appreciate your feedback and thank you

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This is the first time we have stayed here and it definitely won't be the last. We were recommended this hotel by friends who have been on their all inclusive. We arrived and parked easily as the car park is quite big. Lovely greeting by the 2 reception staff - sorry can't remember their names but we arrived Friday 18th @ 5pm ish- who explained how the inclusive worked. All the staff were lovely from the reception staff to the waitresses in the restaurant and the lovely young lady with the very long dark hair who worked on the bar. Went to our room 205 and found this to be really nice . We read the reviews about this hotel being hot so we turned off the heating when we got there but it was still quite warm so we opened the windows. The noise from the A41 didn't bother us at all but we do live on a main road. Food in the restaurant for the evening meal was excellent both nights and we really enjoyed. Compliments to the chef the fish and chips was excellent. Drinks were free from 7pm-11pm but this was only for soft drinks beer and wine. Bar was ok but a little quiet it would have been nice to have some music on but hey if the boys want match of the day what can u do lol !!!!. We didn't have any lunch here although this was included as we went for days out but we did come back and have a lovely pot of tea for 2. Breakfast was buffet style with cereals fruit and yoghurt etc and hot bacon sausage egg beans toms and mushrooms. For me, the breakfast was not the best. Hot food was barely hot. Not the same standard of food as the evening meal. So this along with only serving fosters on the all inclusive is why I have scored 4 out of 5 saying that I will go again. Thank you for a lovely stay.

1  Thank shazhxmsncom

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay here at the Mercure Chester North. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

I stay in room 110 which on the whole looks okay but the bathroom was very smelly with a broken sink. I am not sure what the walls are made of but I could hear the room next doors tv and alarm that was on silent.
If you manage to get served in the restaurant you will be very luck and allow plenty of time on check out and check you bill
Enjoy

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback relating to your time here in Chester, however I am not entirely sure that the review was for ourselves as we do not have a room 110. If in fact it was for the Mercure Chester North then I would like to take this opportnuity to apologise for any disturbance caused by other guests in the hotel.

Should you wish to discuss further then I would welcome the chance to clarify the room or issues you had on departure

Reviewed 14 October 2013

my husband and i stayed here and met our friends for a reunion meet.what a great start to the weekend when we were greeted by "matt" at reception.a very pleasent and cheerful man,extremely informative about chester and the surrounding areas.the hotel was very clean and the staff very nice and friendly,a special mention for alesha,lauren and ronnie,very hard working and always a smile on their faces,even when i kept calling ronnie,jeff.we have stayed in other mercure hotels,this one the best so far,would definately call back in this hotel.thankyou all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us, and we do hope to see you many more times in the future. I very much appreciate your comments in relation to the all the staff you encountered and service.

Once again many thanks for your much valued feedback and I look forward to seeing you in the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights bed and breakfast and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and very helpful, especially Matt on reception. The leisure facilities were good, but the changing room could do with a bit of TLC. We had a meal in the restaurant on our first night, which was nice and not overly priced (the chicken ceaser salad was gorgeous!). The bar area is clean and comfortable, as was the bedroom. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

What a wonderful review! It is always great to receive feedback about the team delivering excellent customer service, as we spend a lot of time training our team about exceeding guest expectations.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Great hotel, very helpful staff (we've been "saved" twice by Mathew ... THANK YOU Mathew!), very nice on comfy rooms, good breakfast. Location is a bit of a problem, but if you have a car is very easy to move around and get to Chester.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I would like to take the opportunity to say thanks for such a Wonderful review, in particularly towards Matthew who it would appear has gone above and beyond yet again. We work hard here at the hotel to try and ensure that each and every guest that stays with us has the most enjoyable time possible and it appears we are doing that when i read comments such as yours.

Once again many thanks and I shall pass your comments on

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Sutton
1 mi away
Inglewood Manor
Inglewood Manor
#1 of 3 in Ledsham

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!