“all inclusive 2 night offer”

Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Sutton
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“all inclusive 2 night offer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

The staff and food where excellent,and made up for the little things that were not that great like the spa which was not very good at all in my opinion(changing area not great,small sauna,broken steam room,but on a plus the pool was quite big and the small gym seemed to be useful for some people there.
A very good location for things to do, like visit Chester,the zoo,Cheshire oaks,Kirby beach,and Wales and Liverpool are very close bye just to name a few
overall great value for money especially on the all inclusive deal through wowcher,(great little breaks)
clean well equipped rooms ie hair dryer,iron&board,kettle,shampoo,soap (except fridge),
very nice friendly hard working staff made for a very pleasant stay for my wife and myself,

Room Tip: we stayed at the front of the hotel near the main road which was very noisy when the window was open
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clara686
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words about the team and clean rooms I am also delighted you liked the food, please accept my apologies regarding the steam room this is now fixed.

I hope we can welcome you back in the future

Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

Good hotel overall but lots of small irritating niggles. Slow check in - guest in front had a problem and it was a good five minutes before another member of staff came out from the back office to check us in. Room on second floor we were allocated had a dreadful whining noise. Member of staff came up straight away and said it was the kitchen fans (that was the view from the window). We were offered a ground floor room which was fine and much nearer the amenities. Were on the all inclusive option which was ok although the drink choices were very limited - one lager, one bitter, red, white or rose wine or coke/lemonade. Breakfast was ok but things not always kept topped up. Croissonts were available on the first day but after that they had run out. Dinner was good quality - starter/desserts a bit small but main course a good sized portion. The waiting staff were friendly but service was somewhat hit and miss. On the first night we watched two members of staff put rolls on all the side plates and then ten minutes later another member of staff came round and removed them all! We asked for mint sauce one evening but it never appeared.There was a coach party in on two of the nights we were there which meant we couldn't book dinner between 7 - 8.15. This was rather annoying, especially as the restaurant was only half full even with the coach party in. A good location for visiting Chester and the surrounding area. Rooms average size and clean. Beds was very comfortable and a king size. The wifi didn't work in the room.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words about the food, please accept my apologies regarding the wi fi our hub had broken and has now been replaced.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

8 of us stayed in this hotel and on 1st impression its very run down and tired from the outside.

Inside depending on what room you get depends on what you feel the inside is like.

On arrival we were checked in quickly and made our way to the room. Small but adequate with all the usual, tv kettle etc.

On the desk it said if required fresh is available on request to make tea and coffee with. Upon ringing reception to get fresh milk we were told nobody was available to get it for another 2 hours as it would leave reception unmanned, even offering to collect it was not going to get us our fresh milk.

Be aware if you get room 210 the view is over a flat room full of duct work and air handling units, one of which comes on early in the morning and is loud enough to be heard and wake you up.

After a rather poor nights sleep while checking out I told the receptionist about the problem which she replied..... I am sorry and then proceeded to check the next person out.

Overall not impressed and would not recommend to anyone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review the hotel is scheduled to be repainted externally in October, November. I am very surprised at your comment regarding the milk our reception team generally receive good feedback for being welcoming and helpful please accept my apologies for this rare lapse in service.

Travellers are raving about these Little Sutton hotels

Swindon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed here with my family for two nights over the bank holiday weekend.

On arrival, my card key did not open the room, so whilst everyone else, tired and irritated after a long journey, waited outside the room with bags and suitcases, I went all the way back to reception to have it re-programmed, this being possibly the furthest room from reception meant a long walk there and back again. I noticed that the room number on the envelope had been scribbled out and a new one written in its place, so presumably this room change had not been updated on the card. Sloppy. Not a good start!

On entering the room, the first thing we noticed was the extremely loud noise coming from the kitchen fan which was unfortunately situated right underneath our window. Clearly, it had a faulty bearing and has not been maintained properly. I mentioned this at reception, and was told it would be turned off at 10.30pm which is was. What they didn't mention is the loud birthday party and disco which went on into the early hours of the morning and disturbed half of the hotel.

I was awoken to the noise of the fan starting up again each morning at 6.30am and it sounded like a helicopter hovering outside the window. Please fix this, or try sleeping in the room yourself!

The overall impression of the hotel is that it is very run down, requiring some basic attention (e.g. external repairs and painting) and staff training. The feature tower clock being stuck on five minutes past five is a rather sad indication of the state of affairs. The grounds and location is also very uninspiring, with nothing of great interest within walking distance.

The evening meal on the first night was a farce. We sat at a table for four and noticed that everyone else had bread rolls, but we only had plates with crumbs from where someone else's bread rolls had been. A waitress asked us to move tables. When we asked where we should move to, she ignored us, so we moved anyway. Later, others from our group sat at our original table and apparently, this was no problem for them! Service was extremely slow and it was obvious that many of the staff had no training. They tried their best, but the service was awful. The food was also not good. The plates were stone cold, and my food placed upon it was similarly very cold due to the combination of cold plates and being served last. The vegetables were served raw.

I bought a round of drinks from the bar and couldn't believe the price for a lager and two small cokes. This is London nightclub prices!

There were some good points. All of the staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was large, clean and recently refurbished. The Wifi was free and reasonably reliable although not very fast.

Breakfast was a buffet and very good. Some popular items e.g. fried egg and bacon ran out at times, but was quickly replenished. Unfortunately, on the second morning, the soft cheeses had obviously not been refrigerated and were warm and sweaty.

The evening meal on the second day was much improved.

The pool was OK, although towels were not available (the literature stated they would be provided). The toilet doors did not lock, neither did the lockers, so we had to leave our clothes by the side of the pool. The sauna was good, but the steam room did not work at all. Many of the showers did not work or were cold.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review please accept my apologies for the loud music we are following this up with the external provider directly.
Clearly we still have further work to do with our newly recruited members of the team which will continue. Painting of the outside of the hotel is due to start at the end of September, October.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

On arriving at the hotel although we had problems with the booking the staff were very helpful and accomodating. The rooms were clean and full of little extras. The spa facilities desperatley needed updating and we were disappointed we were not informed about the broken steam room. Slept very well and comfortably however. We ate at Cafe India which was a short drive, we had a lovely meal and enjoyed are evening there. Breakfast was sparse however staff were willing to bring us what we needed. Served a purpose of good location for us.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you very much for your review please accept my apologies for breakfast not being up to our usual standard.

Dudley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Literally just checked out of this hotel and in the car on our way home. After such a disappointing stay felt id put the review up as soon as possible.
We arrived on Friday 22nd and checked in staying for 2 nights on an all inclusive deal. The receptionist was really friendly and informative and gave us the relevant info. We stayed in room 212 which seemed quite far away from reception however this didn't bother us as we expected that it would be quiet, oh how wrong we were.
We booked in for dinner at 9pm the restaurant was really quiet and we were seated almost immediately. Prior to this we'd been to the bar for a drink which was included on the all inclusive basis. Once seated at dinner we were informed of the dishes that weren't available and given menus. We made our choices and the food as well as the service was great.
Breakfast the following morning was again very good. We were seated, asked whether we wanted tea or coffee and told to help ourselves to the buffet. There wasn't a massive choice however there was enough and it was replenished several times.
We travelled to Cheshire oaks for the day which is only about 8 miles away so missed out on lunch. It was that evening that the hotel went down significantly.
We booked dinner again for 9.00pm and decided to have a drink in the bar first. Despite there being 5 people behind the bar and only myself waiting to be served i still had to wait as there were two "gentlemen" and I use that term loosely, talking to the girls behind the bar which they obviously found so flattering they couldn't possibly do their jobs. These "gentlemen"
Were having their drinks charged to one of the bar staffs rooms which she jokingly informed them was room "69" on being served I had to explain what a rose spritzer was.
We went into the restaurant and it took a while to be seated despite the place only having around 3 other tables occupied. We didn't have menus bought to us as the waitress said "I can't find any". Another waitress bought us a jug of water because she'd bought it for another table but they'd already had some. We said we'd have it but had to ask at least twice for some glasses. We asked for bread which was finally bought to us after around half a dozen times of being asked. I never even attempted to order drinks as I thought it would challenge the inept staff too greatly so went to the bar myself. There were plenty of staff around at one point there were 4 of them setting a table of only 2 places. Hardly rushed of their feet. I won't complain about the food as when we finally had the opportunity to order it and have it bought to us it was very nice.
It quickly came to our attention that there was a 60th birthday celebration going on and the noise was unbelievable. We went to our room at 11pm. We could hear the music word for word everything that the DJ was announcing and even people's names!!! We expected this to quieten down at around midnight. At 12.50 when it now appeared to be karaoke my mom decided to dial reception which took around 10 minutes to be answered. The call was continually disconnected, thankfully it wasn't an emergency. When the call was finally answered we were apologised to told we should have been informed of the function and that it was finishing "right now"
It carried on till around 01.30. Then every song that was played the DJ was telling the crowd it was the last one he was also instructing everyone to be louder!!!
We came down to breakfast this morning after not a great deal of sleep. There were 2 occupied tables and it was well before breakfast closes at 11am. We were seated and told it was a buffet. No tea or coffee was offered, we asked and the majority of the breakfast servers were empty. We had to ask for almost everything. Yet the day before it was being replenished constantly.
My mother and I go away for weekends once a month and I can honestly say this is the worst experience we've ever had. We had booked a late check out but left well before as we couldn't wait to get out of there. On check out it was the same receptionist we'd booked the late checkout with. She asked why we weren't taking advantage of it and we told her of the appalling noise from the night before. All we were met with was "well I wasn't on last night".
Just a total disgrace. Will never visit this hotel again or any that are in the same group.
Seems to be kids running the place which are too lazy and frankly stupid to offer any kind of service. If you are thinking of going here I would steer well clear and I will be informing the booking agent as well as looking into the entertainment and licensing laws.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sammy R
gm-woodhey, General Manager at Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you very much for your review please accept my apologies for the loud music we are following this up with the external provider directly who is not our usual supplier.
Thank you also for your kind words about some of the team, I am sure our newer members will soon be as good as them!
I am glad you enjoyed the food I will pass your comments onto the chef.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to show you that this is not our usual standard.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Sutton
Brook Meadow Hotel
Brook Meadow Hotel
#2 of 2 in Childer Thornton
Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks
Brook Mollington Banastre Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Wirral (Childer Thornton) Hotel
Premier Inn Wirral (Childer Thor...
#1 of 2 in Childer Thornton
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa

Been to Mercure Chester North Woodhey House Hotel? Share your experiences!