“A little hidden gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killearn
scotland
“A little hidden gem”
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

We just spent 2 nights at this little hotel and enjoyed every moment of it. Upon arrival we were offered tea and scones which were included as part of our package. I explained to the girl serving us that I didn't drink tea but would love a coffee if possible. She told me it was no problem and I was offered a range of coffees , of which I chose the latte. Great choice as it was beautiful and no extra charge. I also had latte both mornings with my breakfast at no extra charge. The hotel itself is charming. Our room, although a little tired, was spotlessly clean with nice furniture, bedding and curtains etc and the bed itself was really comfortable! the hotel has 2 lounges, one of which is for residents only , and has a piano and a lovely open coal fire!!! Loved it!! We had dinner , bed and breakfast , and I must say the food was delightful. Cereal and fruit juice , a full Scottish breakfast with toast and jam was a perfect start to our days! Dinner was also really nice , well cooked , tasty and really great sized big portions too!! If I have any complaints at all it is that custard isn't an option with dessert, but the apple crumble was to die for even with ice cream!! The staff here work extremely hard and they honestly can't do enough for you. Nothing was a problem for them, and in my book that can't be bought anywhere !! I would certainly recommend this little gem of a hotel to anyone travelling out that way and hopefully we will return again next year. Thanks to Kerry and her staff for their hospitality and friendliness and we wish you all every success for your future!!

• Stayed October 2013
StevenAndKerrie, Owner at The Killearn Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hello caz8103

WOW- now that's what I call a great review! Thank you so much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We really did love having you and are delighted we were able to meet your requests.

Great hospitality is the most important thing to the team, and we are so pleased you found the service to be personable and efficient.

Please do come stay again- there is so much to do and explore in the area- one trip is not enough!

Feel free to contact us direct next time and we can help with your next reservation at the Black Bull.

Haste ye back!

Kerrie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Cumbernauld, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was our third visit to the Black Bull in less than 2 years.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with nice bed linen, the rooms could do with a refurbish, they are more than acceptable for the tariff I have paid in the past, but was prepared to spend £80 per night due to past experience of the hotel.

We have always enjoyed our breakfast experiences which were enjoyable and relaxing, something which I was looking forward to on this visit.
It has been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day – Not at the Black Bull on Sunday 27th October.
We arrived down for breakfast at 0930, the server asked if we would like tea or coffee (good start) she returned to pour two cups of tea from what looked like a stainless thermal “coffee pot” she failed to explain that there was cereal and fruit juice available at the other end of the room.
As we had stayed before I went to investigate and found very empty fruit juice jugs only enough for one and half glasses of orange, apple juice was just as low. Cereal choice was only bran flakes or corn flakes nothing else. The server returned to the table to take our order, we both opted for the full breakfast, we were never offered toast or choice of egg.
The tea was disgusting, and guess what? You’re right it tasted of coffee, we asked for refills which were brought in fresh cups and didn’t taste of coffee. I have never had breakfast in a hotel where they didn’t bring a fresh pot of tea which is sometimes accompanied with pot of hot water so you are able to consume as much or as little as you like.
When our breakfasts arrived they looked good I requested toast at this point and was told yes sir no problem I had finished my breakfast drained my tea cup drank my fruit juice and would have loved a bit of toast and jam washed down with an other cup of tea, no sign of server. I am more than able to make toast but there was no self serve toaster in the restaurant. After a long period of waiting we left the restaurant toastless and dissatisfied only to find the server sitting in reception staring at a computer I mentioned I hadn’t received my toast I received a polite sorry long pause but no offer to rectify.
I am not criticising the food which came out the kitchen it was good quality cooked well and tasty (bacon a bit crispy but that’s just me) the quantity was also acceptable, it was the experience which has let you down that's why I have rated you POOR. Sorry

For £80 per night I expect a little more customer care.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YoungGordon
Hello YoungGordon,

Thanks for taking the time to share your review of the Black Bull Hotel.

Good points about our linen and cleanliness, the housekeeping team are pleased you found the room in good standing.

I am really disappointed to hear of your experience at breakfast. This is certainly not at our usual level of standard and sorry it tainted your stay.

I notice you have stayed with us a few times, and hope you understand this is not our usual standard. Next time you fancy staying with us, please book with me direct and I will personally make sure you have a great experience from start to finish.

Until the next time,

01360 550 215

Travellers are raving about these Killearn hotels

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

Can't remember a time when I have stayed at a friendlier hotel. The staff that we saw were knowledgable, friendly and very accommodating. Food was exceptional ate here on our first night and breakfast both mornings. In my opinion the staff made all the difference to our trip. Will defiantly be returning in the near future.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kandi81_99
Hi kandi81_99

We loved reading your review. We focus so hard on great hospitality- so your review made our day.

You mentioned you cant wait to return- so next time you do- give us a call direct and I will personally tend to your reservation and make sure it is just as good as the last.

Thanks again and look forward to seeing you again soon

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Exceptionally friendly staff and in a lovely part of Central Scotland. The food was very good at dinner and the best breakfast we've had since a trip to Stornaway in 2004, and we've had a lot of Hotel breakfasts since then !

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gerard_McGinigle
Gerard,

Thanks for your review of the Black Bull.

We are all really impressed with your comments- especially the breakfast! Chef is is delighted as he had only just revamped the breakfast menu before your stay.

So glad you enjoyed your visit, and if you are ever walking again in the area, you know where to stay- with the best breakfast in the west!

See you again soon

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at The Black Bull Hotel... the room was clean, comfortable and very quiet. The bar and its food/beverage was good and the local folks were so kind to this yank. The breakfast food and service were perfect. My 10-minute drive to tour Glengoyne Distillery was lovely... it's a very scenic area which is surprising in that it is only one hour from Glasgow.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jack S
Hello Jack,

Great review- thank you so much.

Killearn is indeed a little countryside retreat, but close to all the cities of Glasgow and Edinburgh. Perfect base for exploring- especially the ever popular Glengoyne Distillery down the road- no visit to Killearn is complete without it!

Thanks for staying with us and choosing the Black Bull Hotel for your visit to Scotland.

I look forward to welcoming you back personally next time.

Best Wishes

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This is a lovely, small and the only hotel in Killearn village which is only 2 miles away from one of the most beautiful and best tasting single malt whiskeys in Scotland, Glengoyne.
The hotel provides B&B at reasonable rates, clean and simply decorated comfortable rooms with baths. It also has a full service restaurant and Pub. The restaurant serves traditional Scottish fare from locally suppliers. The Pub serves a good selection of beers, ales, wines and Scottish whiskey.

The staff is very friendly, helpful and professional.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bariatricrunner
Hello bariatricrunner

What a lovely review! I really value your time sharing your experience.

We work so hard to make every stay memorable, so great to see you enjoyed yourself.

When you return to Scotland next we will welcome you with open arms!

Best wishes, and until the next time

Ciudad Quesada, Spain
Reviewed 20 August 2013

With traffic from Aberdeen on a friday night it stood a chance that we would not make it in time for dinner last orders. Prior to travel the hotel was e-mailed & Kerrie replied stating they would keep the kitchen open a little later for us.
A good welcome upon check-in, & an excellent evening meal, inclusive of a nice bottle of Malbec with the Hotel Connexions offer. The chef obviously takes great care on meal presentation & with some nice variations.
Breakfast was also found to be very good, my wife commenting on how her scrambled egg & smoked salmon was the best she has had in a hotel.

Rooms do require some refurbishment, & are somewhat on the small side. However taking everything into account I believe the hotel to be truly excellent value for money, & would rather stay in this hotel than many of the big "chains" with their lack of personal service.
Our thanks to Kerrie & staff for making this a pleasant weekend for us both.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philcrieff
StevenAndKerrie, Owner at The Killearn Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. It was really great to have you back in August. Its a delight to hear that you enjoyed our dinner and breakfast offering. Our food is really important to us and we work hard to ensure we maintain a high standard of cooking. We really hope to see you again soon.

Kerrie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killearn
Best Western Buchanan Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Kirkhouse Inn
#1 of 1 in Strathblane
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond Arms Hotel

Been to The Killearn Hotel? Share your experiences!