“A great distillery in the highlands”

Dalwhinnie Distillery
Experience for Yourself
More Info
US$322.73*
and up
3-Day Speyside Whisky Tour from Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Dalwhinnie Distillery is a VisitScotland five star attraction and the home to a famous Highland Single Malt Whisky renowned for its gentle flavours accentuated with notes of heather honey, citrus, vanilla and sweet malt. The site of the distillery was chosen for its access to clear spring water and abundant peat from the surrounding bogs. Set in splendid mountain scenery at the heart of the Cairngorm National Park, Dalwhinnie is the highest distillery in Scotland at 1164 feet above sea level. The name Dalwhinnie is derived from the Gaelic language, meaning ‘meeting place’, referring to the meeting of ancient cattle drovers' routes through the mountains. Visitors can enjoy a tour of the distillery (Dalwhinnie has been awarded “Best Distillery Tour 2017” by Drinks International so it’s always best to book ahead) - the tour lasts approximately 45 minutes and offers visitors a detailed explanation of the traditional art of malt whisky distilling. At the conclusion of the tour each adult is offered a complimentary dram of whisky with a matching handmade chocolate, a souvenir tasting glass, and a discount voucher which can be redeemed in the distillery shop. The whisky and chocolate matching theme is carried forward with the availability of a selection of tasting flights matching the finest single malt whiskies with the superlative artisanal chocolates of Iain Burnett, the Highland Chocolatier. These flights are served in the tasting area on a bespoke tray and a member of the team will describe the best way to enjoy the whiskies and chocolate before leaving you to enjoy at your leisure. And visitors who have no time for either a tour or tasting are most welcome to relax in the visitor centre, watch a short DVD, or browse an extensive selection of fine malt whiskies on sale. Dalwhinnie is 1.5 hours south of Inverness on the A9, 2 hours north of Edinburgh on the A9 and 1 hour east of Fort William on the A86 and A82. Located close to the A9 and A86, its central location makes it a great base for exploring other single malt distilleries and is only a short drive away from Aviemore, Pitlochry and Fort William.
Karlstad, Sweden
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“A great distillery in the highlands”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I vistited the distillery in the end of May 2014. The distillery is located very nice. We visited on a windy day and I felt very scotish when I was there. I have not visted so many destilleries so I have nothing to compare with. I have visited some cognac destilleries and their shows were more proffesional. One of my favorite whiskies are Dalwhinnie so this is why I give this a high rating.
I went for the tour but they moved on very fast. A bit slower would have been nice.

2 Thank Anders R

Perth, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Terrific tour”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Cold but fun. It was 9C when we toured, but the warm stills, whiskey tasting and Tony our guide, all made for a warm welcome. I appreciated Tonys technical knowledge and excellent explanations of the going ons, well worth a stop in at the twin copper chimneys!

2 Thank CS_Perth
Grand Island, New York
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great tasting!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This is an amazing distillery with super friendly staff. We decided to not take a tour and just do a 3 tasting as we were on a tight schedule and did not have time for a tour. The man who poured us the samples was very nice and friendly and explained the differences in the samples he gave us. The whisky came with chocolates and was definitely worth the price!

4 Thank kwnike13
Isle of Man
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“maybe we went at a bad time”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

from the size of the car park it would seem that they get lots of visitors, but there were only about a dozen people the day we went, and the tours had been cancelled. The staff were unfriendly, no tastings offered, no advice given, and no help on the when I wanted to buy a half-bottle of their malt. Also, since it is in the back of beyond, there were no facilities for the non-drinking driver. No tea, coffee or snacks available at all. A big disappointment all round.

Visited April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“ahhhhhh just the best!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I visited here last week, its my favourite whickey though I know nothing at all about Whiskey!! I chose the taster of 4 single malts which came with a glass, some delicious chocolates and a taster menu explaining everything. I also had a nice man explain. Would def go again, oh, and the area where you do it just needs a big old sofa for me to lay out on next time, excellent atmosphere! cheers x

Visited April 2014